Depth of artifacts

CarsonRReese

Mar 27, 2017
Denver, indiana
Detector(s) used
Cat 305.5e2 excavator
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just curious as to how deep arrowheads can be found? My line of work is drainage tile and am typically digging in the 3-4 foot range. I Usually just watch the topsoil layer for artifacts but was curious if I should be looking deeper? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20170327_181918.jpg
    IMG_20170327_181918.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be tough to say. A mudslide/ flood could either bring things up or bury them deep.
Impossible to know the weather and what has happened over the last several thousand years. :icon_scratch:

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the archeological studies I have read, the artifacts go much deeper than the 4 ft. I would assume it is where you are as to how deep the points are.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard a couple of more knowledgeable folks on here say they settle on or above any clay. But im sure it depends on where u are though

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search for The Koster Site. I have the book and they were at depths of 25 feet or more and still finding artifacts.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious reaper how would it get buried so deep

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Carson, I grew up in Whitley County just upstream from you along the Eel River.

Years ago we'd dig sites along the Wabash river that were 6+ feet deep, and we weren't finding really old stuff. As Steve mentioned, there are plenty of sites that go much, much deeper. There are also sites that are relatively shallow. It depends on the type of site. Usually sites on the flood planes would get buried with a tiny bit of silt every year. 10,000 years of a "tiny bit of silt" can still add up to 10 feet. Along the southern Wabash you'd get loess soils, wind blown dust accumulations that could be 40 feet deep (the case with the site that Steve mentioned.)

Most of the artifacts will probably come from the first couple of feet, that will usually be late Woodland and Mississippian stuff, and they had pretty decent sized populations along the water ways. Archaic and Paleo could be significantly deeper.

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good post to learn about other areas. In my area it depends on the timeline. Any point that man used on ice age mammals could be 15ft or 100ft deep due to a dust storm that blew in at the end of the ice age. Other points from different time lines will be just above that level and up. I have seen artifacts in Tx. just laying on top of the sand, but they were uncovered by the wind. It's JMO but if an artifact that is heavy enough it will sink in the soil over a long timeline and also dust will steady cover items along with grass and other stuff. I found some trade items that were brought into this area from 1710 to 1718 just under 6 inch's of soil.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Some of the archeological studies I have read, the artifacts go much deeper than the 4 ft. I would assume it is where you are as to how deep the points are.

I agree with willjo and as others have mentioned, there are many variables, including what part of the U.S. you are hunting. In the part of the Great Plains where I live, early archaic sites and especially Paleo sites are deeply buried under deposits of windblown loess. Paleo sites can be buried under 10 to 30 feet of wind deposited loess. Surface field finds here are mostly Late Prehistoric in age. Exceptions can be caused by agricultural land leveling or serious erosion caused by earlier poor farming practices.

Attachments

• Loess_deposits.jpg
    Loess_deposits.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 48

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends entirely on the site and it's surroundings. You can also be surprised how some modern (last 200 years) "trash" such as a rifle cartridge can drift deep down somehow to the same depth as the NA level (maybe through tree root activity or animal activity....maybe moles). Bioturbation.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a good site Natives would build one civilization on top of another and then after contact we built our cities on top of them. Keep you eyes peeled for just worked flint and who knows what may turn up.

OP
OP
CarsonRReese

CarsonRReese

Mar 27, 2017
Denver, indiana
Detector(s) used
Cat 305.5e2 excavator
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies everybody! I appreciate the friendly helpful advice!
:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread