Deus Snags Some Fine Red Dirt Relics

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hunt was in an area that encountered several cavalry skirmishes and artillery duels just south of Warrenton VA. Deus acquitted itself just fine.

Not a lot of lead - just a colt pistol bullet and some lead case shot. But the Deus did snag a brass artillery fuse, suspender clip and small buckle. But the best find of the trip was iron...

A 40% partial parrot shell (my first partial artillery shell) about 1 to 1.5 ft down - butt end of the shell (as shown) was pointing up and the Deus rang up high in Gold Field mode. (I had just dug the colt pistol bullet only a few feet away).

Also dug several frags (shown next to the shell) and iron case shot but that was primarily with a GPX PI detector and got a little frost on my Deus coil.

20171109_223529.jpg 20171029_085918.jpg 21760.jpg 20171026_165207.jpg

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Awesome
Congrats on the Parrot.
Some day I will have the chance to hunt for one of those.
Glad to see you had some great finds.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt V... looks like that HF coil does the trick. Congrats..

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt V... looks like that HF coil does the trick. Congrats..

Thanks, Gene. Great meeting you up in Gettysburg. Hope you are getting some hunting in with your new program.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice mix! A arty shell is something I yet have to encounter. Not so much battles in my area. :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks HuntinDog, Eu Citizen, and Professor!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH wow done went and dug a BOMB! congrats on the finds and hunt.

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you from the Warrenton area? My girlfriend worked at the Inn at Little Washington. In Warrenton, there is an ultralight flight park and I would fly my paramotor there. Wish I had a metal detector then.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH wow done went and dug a BOMB! congrats on the finds and hunt.

Oh, yeah, man. It was frag city. Lead and iron case shot, frags, partials, fuses, and friction primers. Surprisingly few artillery buttons, though. At least 8 intact shells were dug of just about every type I have heard of (Read-Parrott, Schenkl, Hotchkiss). Quite the site.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you from the Warrenton area? My girlfriend worked at the Inn at Little Washington. In Warrenton, there is an ultralight flight park and I would fly my paramotor there. Wish I had a metal detector then.

No closer to DC but frequently relic hunt near Culpeper, VA and sometimes up and down the Shenandoah Valley and into southern PA. This hunt just happened to be closer to Warrenton than most. And, yeah, knowing what I know now, there are a lot of places I wish I had my metal detector with me back then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari
Nice group of Civil War finds !
Gary

Thanks, Gary. Still need to get up your way so I can snag me that large cent. Starting to get cold, though.

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds vferrari. That red dirt state is some hard digging. I take it that's why the PI was needed.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds vferrari. That red dirt state is some hard digging. I take it that's why the PI was needed.

Yep. The PI is needed because of the mineralized dirt and because the sites have been pounded so hard that mostly only very deep targets left but that Parrott shell was greater than 1 ft. and the Deus locked-on. That's why digging with you and Smokey up in mild soil PA was like paradise (that and the fact the site had great finds). Hope to see you up there again this winter sometime, really enjoyed digging with you folks.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have some crap dirt up here in the north as well, by me they did a lot of iron ore minning and the rocks are iron ore. I have one house site that was burned and also has iron ore rocks. The meter on the side of the Deus is full indicating insane amounts of mineralization.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So My Deus would work well at DIV then??

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So My Deus would work well at DIV then??

It can't compete with a GPX or ATX PI machine, but there were some woods and "domestic" landscaping that lowered the overall mineralization to tolerable levels in some spots. But even in the most mineralized soil, I have been able to pull minie balls and other lead out of the red dirt down 4 to 6 inches. This was my first relic hunt with the hf coil, so I will see how it does with brass at one of the more "traditional" DIV sites this weekend.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice goodies! :occasion14:
Looks like that HF coil is doing good for you. Might have to get me one of them.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Gary. Still need to get up your way so I can snag me that large cent. Starting to get cold, though.
I`m looking forward to meeting you...i got some good places for us to hit...in warmer weather .
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread