relic lover
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Jul 4, 2006
- Messages
- 2,218
- Reaction score
- 1,310
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Western PA
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
It is still full of dirt I was going to leave it but now I am curious about it. I will post a cleaned pic tomorrow.vayank54 said:It looks like a .54 or .58 3 ring mini and is civil war period. Is there anything in the base like a star or US? It was probably chewed by squirrels. Hogs chew bullets too but they usually do more damage. Most chewed bullets are not hospital bullets even though you see them listed as such. Hope this helps.

I think it was to do with a injury sustained, where as the soldier would be given a Bullet to bite on 
Silver Searcher said:
wasn't there a term refered to as bitting the bullet during Civil War TimesI think it was to do with a injury sustained, where as the soldier would be given a Bullet to bite on
SS

TnMountains said:We often called them medicine bullets for some weird reason. I tried to bite them to see if they matched up to teeth marks or a bite mark but yet have one that does? I think they just look like it and many times tumble and hit rocky soil to leave the marks. I have not seen any lead with animal marks though I have seen where they would chew bone.
My humble opinion.
Congrats on your find.
HH
TnMtns
Rando said:SouthArk said:And many animals will chew on them for some reason..... I have found hundreds.
They were lubed with animal fat, and hogs especially would find them by smell and chew on them.
They WERE used as "bite the bullet" devices OCCAISIONALLY, but this was mostly done with a rolled up piece of leather or a wooden peg.
That one looks like it may have been fired though.
Which leads me to a kinda spooky explanation of what it MAY have been coated in and found by an animal.
![]()
john37115 said:The gun powder used to discharge the bullet was made with saltpeter ( potassium nitrate ) this attracted the smell and taste-buds of animals I would say this is why we find a lot of chewed bullets.
I've found a lot that were chewed almost flat by hogs.
