Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 30 years ago, two of my co-workers were regular hunting partners and one of them did this to the other. The one with permission discovered the betrayal when his hunting partner brought in a $5 gold piece to the office to show off what he went back to find. He told me about how he felt (dismayed is an appropriate word) and I expressed how i would never do that. So I became his new regular hunting partner. And I never went back alone to one of his permissions. We had some great adventures.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a couple things here, broken trust and your reputation is at stake if this continues. When you obtain permission to search, either by word of mouth or a signed agreement stating there will be let's say 2 people searching, you are the team leader and the one responsible for what happens out there. The sneaky friend nighthawking could have an accident or not return the site to it's original condition. Now the landowner comes out to peek around and finds an injured/dead person and or their land all torn up, ect. I'd call a meeting with Mr./Ms. nighthawker and explain the seriousness of their actions. I've had to stop detecting with certain people due to behavioral issues. You may have gotten lucky this time, but it's unlikely that it will continue if this person fails to comprehend the big picture here.
T (truth) R (respect) U (understanding) S (support) T (teamwork)
Jon 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
It was the land owner who told me that the "Fella" that I asked if I could bring along with me, had come back at night without me.

I had an ex buddy do it before.
I handled it rather immaturely by seeding his best hunt place with roughly 40lbs of rotten zinc cents..:laughing7:
In hindsight, I could have made some steampunk art out of them.

Reputation is very important.
He got tossed before he got his detector out of his Suburban.
Thankfully the landowner didn't fault me for the others bad actions.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to confront the offender, and tell him he has blown it. Never take a "friend" to a permission. A park, the woods, a farm field, yes. Never to a permission.:skullflag:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some behaviors seem more learned by seeing the bad behavior of others, like not filling holes or leaving trash behind. That could be characterized as a stupid mistake that can be corrected with a stern talk, if one feels generous. But sneaking back to a site, IMO, suggests more dishonesty or at least devious intent, a personality defect, and that cannot be excused or easily corrected. It seems a form of theft. The loss of trust is far more difficult, if not impossible, to repair.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some behaviors seem more learned by seeing the bad behavior of others, like not filling holes or leaving trash behind. That could be characterized as a stupid mistake that can be corrected with a stern talk, if one feels generous. But sneaking back to a site, IMO, suggests more dishonesty or at least devious intent, a personality defect, and that cannot be excused or easily corrected. It seems a form of theft. The loss of trust is far more difficult, if not impossible, to repair.

I call this habit overgrazing...
Gt....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't had it happen yet. That said, my best spot is owned by my best friend and if anyone decides to go it alone, we have an agreement in place the police will be called. My friend has a really nice place and doesn't want unknown people wandering around the property due mainly to liability.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice guys finish last, so they say.... "Leo Durocher in 1946".

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes friends aren’t when it comes to a good spot.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man...
When it comes to my fishing spots...even if my mom was starving...I wouldn't tell her where my secret fishing spots are!
Yeah, its like that! :laughing7::laughing9:

I kept the secret of a well-hidden native brook trout stream for over 40 years after I left my home town. I finally revealed its location to someone who demonstrated that he was a fighter to preserve such valuable habitats. I figured he could protect it better living a few hundred yards from it than I could from 500 miles away. When I told him about it, he walked to it and send me some pictures of the brookies still living there. The pics are now my screen-savers. I miss the brook trout but sleep better knowing that they have someone to look after them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
fbfdb4ea5ff86b0ddfd8b7786c6237d8.jpg

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does that mean?

People say nice guys finish last to mean that people who behave in a fair and pleasant way will not be successful in a competitive situation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread