Do you guys ever find old fireworks/firecracker packs??

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never have but I would give my right hand for some real fireworks like M80s. (I realize a few people did)! Monty

S

stefen

Monty said:
Never have but I would give my right hand for some real fireworks like M80s. (I realize a few people did)! Monty

Some character was badly burned and and lost part of his hand recently when a spark lit a handful of bottle rockets in his back pocket...luckily the M80's in his front pocket didn't ignite...or he'd be yelling help in a soprano voice.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my son bought some today, for 1.50

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old M80s were the equivalent to a 1/4 stick of dynamite or so I was told back then. The new ones are fake. We use to dig a hole in a red ant bed and bury an M80 in it, light the fuse and run. It would blow a hole in the ground about 8" deep and 5 or 6 inches wide. The reason you ran was not because of the explosion, but because it would rain red ants and you didn't want one down your collar! You could also fish with an M80. Tape it to a rock and toss in into a fishing hole and it would always bring up several nice perch or catfish. But now it is illegal to use explosives for bait! ;D We also blew up a few small to medium size stumps. Form a cone with duct tape and cardboard over one and set it off and it would act as a shape charge and blow all or part of the stump out. Oh well, those were days of yore. Monty

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a full pack of "Yankee Boy" crackers once in some items I picked up at an auction ..Still have them..Ive always wondered how old they are..

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple shots .Do you know approx. their age? Thanks... Bill

Attachments

• Seller Pics 1122.jpg
    Seller Pics 1122.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 2,605
  • Seller Pics 1121.jpg
    Seller Pics 1121.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Seller Pics 1121.jpg
    Seller Pics 1121.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 767
  • Seller Pics 1122.jpg
    Seller Pics 1122.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 871
  • Seller Pics 1122.jpg
    Seller Pics 1122.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 931
  • Seller Pics 1121.jpg
    Seller Pics 1121.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 742

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
Re; M-80's...Isn't it amazing what a few grams of Potassium Perchlorate and Aluminum dust will do!

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
Given the look of the Yan Key boy firecrackers I would hazard a guess as to 1969 or 1970. Well before they limited the powder in the 1 1/2" firecrackers.

Semper Fi

OP
OP
C

craig101

May 8, 2006
me thinks dave5339 knows about old fireworks/firecrackers :wink: OR he has an unbelievable eye.

this pack is a class 4 pack from the 1969-1972 era as it has the ICC marking with the warning. nice logos on the firecrackers. a more rare version would have had the american flag on the pack replacing one of the other flags.

it's a shame the pack is so beat up. dave's right these are full 2 grain crackers. a fair amount louder than today's crackers.

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
craig101 said:
me thinks dave5339 knows about old fireworks/firecrackers :wink: OR he has an unbelievable eye.

this pack is a class 4 pack from the 1969-1972 era as it has the ICC marking with the warning. nice logos on the firecrackers. a more rare version would have had the american flag on the pack replacing one of the other flags.

it's a shame the pack is so beat up. dave's right these are full 2 grain crackers. a fair amount louder than today's crackers.

Craig,

Every summer we sold fireworks. Could say I grew up in the business. We used to bootleg M-80's when we could get them, our supplier got busted and it cost him 50K fine. I got to shoot lots of different stuff, I was basically the "test pilot" for all the new stuff that our distributor would bring by. Working in the stand meant I could buy all my fireworks for cost. Man did I ever shoot up a lot of money.

Unfortunately, now that I have kids I live in suburbia where even sparklers are frowned upon.

Semper Fi

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5339 said:
Every summer we sold fireworks. Could say I grew up in the business.
Then when you really grew up you joined the corp and really got to shoot the big stuff??? :headbang:

dave5339 said:
Man did I ever shoot up a lot of money.
Good thing it went up in the sky instead of your arm.

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
cyberdan said:
dave5339 said:
Every summer we sold fireworks. Could say I grew up in the business.
Then when you really grew up you joined the corp and really got to shoot the big stuff??? :headbang:

dave5339 said:
Man did I ever shoot up a lot of money.
Good thing it went up in the sky instead of your arm.

Cyberdan,

Yep, I joined the Corps to play with the fun stuff. Got tired of MRE's, (meals rejected by Ethiopians) at one point so my squad and I went "fishing". As we were on a demo range we had our choice of "bait". Our company commander wandered by that night as we were all sitting around a bed of coals grilling fish. He initially was curious where the fish had come from. After sampling one, he decided some questions are better left unanswered.

Semper Fi

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave5339 said:
Got tired of MRE's, (meals rejected by Ethiopians)
I got to eat rations once. they are called something diff in the Navy. Half the time I was in I was a cook. We fed our guys very well.

dave5339 said:
He initially was curious where the fish had come from. After sampling one, he decided some questions are better left unanswered.
hooyah :icon_thumright:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
The old M80s were the equivalent to a 1/4 stick of dynamite or so I was told back then. The new ones are fake. We use to dig a hole in a red ant bed and bury an M80 in it, light the fuse and run. It would blow a hole in the ground about 8" deep and 5 or 6 inches wide. The reason you ran was not because of the explosion, but because it would rain red ants and you didn't want one down your collar! You could also fish with an M80. Tape it to a rock and toss in into a fishing hole and it would always bring up several nice perch or catfish. But now it is illegal to use explosives for bait! ;D We also blew up a few small to medium size stumps. Form a cone with duct tape and cardboard over one and set it off and it would act as a shape charge and blow all or part of the stump out. Oh well, those were days of yore. Monty

I miss those as well as the "cherry bombs" those were "real"fireworks!

OP
OP
C

craig101

May 8, 2006
been almost two years since the last post, curious if anyone has seen any old fireworks lately?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I have found are the roll caps that go in vintage cap guns, and an old can of calcium carbide that would make a nice big boom if you wanted it to.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.

Ha, thanks for bringing up this old post, brought back memories of those great M-80's, boy I miss them. Big lake explosions with the waterproof wicks, sending metal 50 gallon drums well over 50 feet in the air, out the window and a big rig thought they had a flat, on and on. "Those were days of yore"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread