DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

Things are growing quiet because we have pretty much explored everything as far as theories go. You can't go to Victorio Peak because of the base, and a lot of the Caballos is on private land, mining claims, or is hard to reach, and all kinds of permits are required that hard are hard to obtain if you were to find something there. There isn't easy access off I-25 to go exploring in Caballos, and there is a lot of territory to cover if you do access it. There is also a huge amount of misleading information about treasure and all kinds of zany theories about ancient cultures and baseless legends surrounding the area. Lots of people would rather talk about those than actually go find out what the realities are, and the few that do are disappointed when they don't find the things they were told exist there. It all adds up to people getting discouraged, or not being motivated to go looking in the area.

Things are growing quiet because we have pretty much explored everything as far as theories go. You can't go to Victorio Peak because of the base, and a lot of the Caballos is on private land, mining claims, or is hard to reach, and all kinds of permits are required that hard are hard to obtain if you were to find something there. There isn't easy access off I-25 to go exploring in Caballos, and there is a lot of territory to cover if you do access it. There is also a huge amount of misleading information about treasure and all kinds of zany theories about ancient cultures and baseless legends surrounding the area. Lots of people would rather talk about those than actually go find out what the realities are, and the few that do are disappointed when they don't find the things they were told exist there. It all adds up to people getting discouraged, or not being motivated to go looking in the area.

Yeah, pretty much a dead duck, other than more speculation and made-up new theories. All the serious searching and clever scamming was completed decades ago. I like to keep my alternate-theory options open too, but I prefer reality when I can get it. OT: Here's a reality site I stumbled upon yesterday afternoon, deep in the middle of nowhere on a brush-choked gold mining mountain, the dump camouflaged under pine needles and many years of oak brush growth. I don't go into these holes alone anymore, so whenever I talk my exploring partner into it, we'll see what's down in there. In the meantime, back to the Doc and Willie saga.

mine1.jpg

mine1a.jpg

on a side note for anyone who DOES make it to the caballos, one of the real treasures is after a long day in the mountains,
swing by the Arrey Cafe. They have some of the best food around, Steak Night on Fridays and the best ice tea. But they only take cash.

Agree with all that. However, fewer people searching is good for those of us who have not given up.
And remember, just because someone has a placer claim does not mean you cant search there, camp there, do anything you want there except take out the placer gold.
All they have claim to is the placer gold, nothing else.
I recently spent 2 weeks in the Caballos and never saw another person off the roads. Thats a good thing.
I believe that Willies cave is still out there with about 1000 gold bars still in it.
Its worth a few years searching and having fun adventures in the mountains looking for it.
Also, recent technology that has become relatively affordable in just the past few years can give an edge to a searcher today that no one has had in the past.
Without the map that Willie and/or Jack Reynolds and/or Doc had, its going to take either pure luck or new technology to find what they found.
Im going with new technology, but it might be as they say: "better lucky then good".
Either way, thars gold in them thar hills and Im gonna find it (or at least look for it and have fun while doing so)
Better then dying in front of this damn computer screen.
wr

speaking of new technology,
by the way UM, how is your drone project progressing??
that is a technology that is advancing by the week. dont buy one this week because it will be completely obsolete in 6 months.
wr

WR,

You are correct about placer mining versus treasure trove, but try to explain that to a guy aiming a shotgun at you because you are telling him that your treasure trove permit overrules his mining claim. You had better be well armed before beginning such a discussion. You might just end up like poor Jack Reynolds.

I agree with you about Willie's Cave as well. There should be more than 1000 bars left (according to Willie/Larry). The reason he would never give the specific location of his cave to anybody is because there are VERY likely (at least) six bodies in there (Jack Reynolds, Willie Stromm, Mr and Mrs Lorius, and Mr and Mrs Heberer). Since there is no statute of limitations on murder, I am sure Willie/Larry didn't want to spend his last days on this Earth in jail for committing or being party to multiple homicides.

Research on a subject that has a long history (like this), there are so many lies, fabrications, and embellishments, that it will have you running in circles. Lucky is almost always better than good!

Mike

WR,

You are correct about placer mining versus treasure trove, but try to explain that to a guy aiming a shotgun at you because you are telling him that your treasure trove permit overrules his mining claim. You had better be well armed before beginning such a discussion. You might just end up like poor Jack Reynolds.

I agree with you about Willie's Cave as well. There should be more than 1000 bars left (according to Willie/Larry). The reason he would never give the specific location of his cave to anybody is because there are VERY likely (at least) six bodies in there (Jack Reynolds, Willie Stromm, Mr and Mrs Lorius, and Mr and Mrs Heberer). Since there is no statute of limitations on murder, I am sure Willie/Larry didn't want to spend his last days on this Earth in jail for committing or being party to multiple homicides.

Research on a subject that has a long history (like this), there are so many lies, fabrications, and embellishments, that it will have you running in circles. Lucky is almost always better than good!

Mike

Gollum interesting point.

No fun having a gun shoved into your face especially when its being held by a crazed treasure hunter believing you have become expendable. As for running in circles its some times every treasure researchers nightmare sorting facts from the fiction. Such is the nature of the beast I am afraid.

Crow

WR,

Mike
ummm yes, i hear ya.
so far my interactions with others in the mountains has been very good.
usually results in permission to access "their" claim and all to date have been very helpful even.
however, if one does find something, i realize relationships could change in a hurry.
Im sensing that men are moving away from the wild west days and more toward a "just doing this for something to do to get out of the house" and seem very cooperative and even "on the same page".
Maybe i have just been lucky so far with who i meet.
If a group of us could actually work together, we might make some progress on finding this elusive cave.
There is plenty there for everyone. But everyone would have to keep their mouth shut to keep you know who from stealing it all.
That might be the biggest challenge.
wr

speaking of new technology,
by the way UM, how is your drone project progressing??
that is a technology that is advancing by the week. dont buy one this week because it will be completely obsolete in 6 months.
wr

I'm currently working on a way to use a repeater aircraft to bounce control signals and video off of. That will allow me to blanket an area from above with my signals and not be obstructed by trees or geography. Some day I will have it all refined and operational. One of the first areas I plan on scanning is the Caballos.

And don't worry, I don't buy off the shelf drones, I custom build it all myself. That way I can upgrade them with the most up to date goodies at any time, and have the knowledge to repair problems in the field.

Last edited:
I'm currently working on a way to use a repeater aircraft to bounce control signals and video off of. That will allow me to blanket an area from above with my signals and not be obstructed by trees or geography. Some day I will have it all refined and operational. One of the first areas I plan on scanning is the Caballos.

And don't worry, I don't buy off the shelf drones, I custom build it all myself. That way I can upgrade them with the most up to date goodies at any time, and have the knowledge to repair problems in the field.

Now thats a great idea. (the repeater aircraft).
I am also researching using a drone to search some areas but battery life is an issue (flight time).
with the repeater, your going to have to deal with two batteries.

the trick is to choose an airframe that is the most efficient, which at the moment is a flying wing...

the trick is to choose an airframe that is the most efficient, which at the moment is a flying wing...
They make drones that will automatically follow you at an altitude and distance that you preset. You wear a transponder which allows the drone to follow you.
So, you could put the transponder on your camera drone and set the "repeater drone" to follow your camera drone at a very high altitude.
That way, you only have to control one drone. The repeater drone flies itself automatically and keeps itself above the camera drone, bouncing the signal back down to you.

when your ready to fly, let me know i would be glad to help.

What you really need are drones that multiples can be controlled by one controller. Imagine ten or twenty smaller camera drones flying in formation all taking 1080P or 4K video!

Mike

What you really need are drones that multiples can be controlled by one controller. Imagine ten or twenty smaller camera drones flying in formation all taking 1080P or 4K video!

Mike

Awesome. this is definitely technology that can change our world.
but thats a lot of batteries to keep charged when your miles up on some mountain.
I find all this technology fascinating, but, when i go into the mountains and try to stay there for 2 or 3 weeks, it changes everything.
Its difficult enough to get yourself into there and back out, let alone anything that is delicate or heavy in any way.
As an example, my navigation systems which are awesome technology work perfectly until up in the mountains, then all kinds of things seem to go wrong. things you cant even imagine at home.
Im pretty much going back to paper maps and compass navigation. If you depend on technology to get you there and that technology fails (which is does) you are screwed.
Just getting there and back becomes the focus instead of all this gadgetry.
Maybe Doc and Willie and the Spaniards had it right. A good mountain mule, strong legs, some canned food and the stars (or local knowledge).
Stay up there for months and look around.
wr

Awesome. this is definitely technology that can change our world.
but thats a lot of batteries to keep charged when your miles up on some mountain.
I find all this technology fascinating, but, when i go into the mountains and try to stay there for 2 or 3 weeks, it changes everything.
Its difficult enough to get yourself into there and back out, let alone anything that is delicate or heavy in any way.
As an example, my navigation systems which are awesome technology work perfectly until up in the mountains, then all kinds of things seem to go wrong. things you cant even imagine at home.
Im pretty much going back to paper maps and compass navigation. If you depend on technology to get you there and that technology fails (which is does) you are screwed.
Just getting there and back becomes the focus instead of all this gadgetry.
Maybe Doc and Willie and the Spaniards had it right. A good mountain mule, strong legs, some canned food and the stars (or local knowledge).
Stay up there for months and look around.
wr

They did have it right and a lot more motivation. Just out of curiosity did you find the yellow paint mine whiskeyrat I have been busy not able to check the string for awhile.

Quad copters currently have about a 15 minute flight time. They are great for shooting cinematic video, but suck at creating high resolution maps of large areas. That is, unless you are able to land them repeatedly and change out their batteries. I was recently in contact with a company that has created a hybrid quad copter that is quite large, which can fly for hours at a time. It uses an internal combustion engine to power a generator to run the electric motors. They wanted $50,000 for the base model, which won't be ready to sell to the public until late next year. If you have that kind of money to spend on a drone, you probably don't need to be treasure hunting to begin with...

They did have it right and a lot more motivation. Just out of curiosity did you find the yellow paint mine whiskeyrat I have been busy not able to check the string for awhile.

mann:
I did not find the yellow paint mine. i spent too many days getting in and out of J canyon and some other areas and ran out of time. I think it is southeast of bat cave. any idea where it is located specifically?
wr

It's in Cable canyon directly behind the big yellow air compressor below bat cave. I looked at those noss maps to and had to see it myself as well. I wouldn't have anything if it wasn't for trial and error good luck.

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:Happy Bird Day and Happy Holidays to Everyone.:icon_santa:np:cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back