What's new

Does anyone here detect in the snow... or has?

ARC

Emerald Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
40,567
Reaction score
151,010
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beings I am a Florida native and I know many of you are Northerners... I have always wondered "how" if at all you can break frost or whatever or if even possible.
 
Snow season is for ice fishing in a warm ice shanty but I got a call from a gal that lost her ring at a ski lodge. I thought I'd never find it but did when I checked the entrance where skiers take off their gloves.
 
sweet. ice fishing? whats that ... can you eat ice? never heard of the elusive "ice fish" heh
 
every time i went ice fishing there was a whole lot more drinking going on than fishing...
 
Very difficult hunting. If there's say 5" of snow, then that's 5" of depth you're not getting. Also, if there's frost to dig through it makes digging a good plug very hard and a digger
braking proposition.
 
Hunt until the snow is too deep or the frost makes it difficult. Also my hunts aren't quit as long, fingers get too cold.
 
Yup. Woods are good, as Perses states. Much easier diggin'.
Screens will fade. Others have said its not the screen, but batteries getting to cold. A couple hand warmers under the housing protector does the trick.
Peace
 
I live near Chicago and have detected when it was in the high 20's with 3" of snow on the ground.
As "Perses" mentioned, if there are leaves on the ground and snow on top, the ground is still relatively receptive.

The day I took this photo I found a Teens Buff nickel and a few Wheats.

DSCN1709.webp
 
Very cool... dedicated.. I am sure if I lived up north I would attempt as well...(prolly over and over) sheesh don't have worry about people or competitors... never really considered the batts getting too cold etc... or machines but I can see it... the hand warmer idea is great.... If I might make a suggestion... I do not know if they sell em up there, and they are actually hard to find here... or at least the good ones...but a sprinkler hole shovel ... the one with the back heel to it with good lip... the skinny ones... love mine in very hard ground...Digging real hard ground is no stranger to me in the keys it is VERY hard to dig due to coral and rock. The plus to this is coins and other items do not go any deeper... NOT on beaches but on private inland properties.
 
Yep I dig in the snow! Also detect the plowed snow piles, things get dropped and pushed into a pile for ya! Just be careful if the plow is still plowing we may not find you till spring!

Wear gloves, I ended up with blisters after battling the frozen tundra for my goodies!
 
yes
keep an eye on the plow truck
iron sight or scope if he tries to plows the road one more time..


liftloop
 
I love to detect snow piles where the snow trucks dump the snow from the streets...found a few big bills and tons of coins.
 
I don't usually, but a neighbor lady came over and asked if I was the guy with a metal detector. I said yes. She asked if I would help her find her engagement ring she lost in the snow. I searched for over a hour but the snow was too deep, plus a plow had gone through the area where she lost it so will probably be spring before I can search again for her. I asked her how she lost it and she sheepishly replied that she was driving down the road when she was arguing with her boyfriend and threw her ring at him. She didn't realize that his window was rolled down.
 
My neighbor at one time brushed off the trunk of her car to get the grocery out and whipped her hands as to air dry them and her ring went flying as she frantically told me as we looked and then i seen a flash on the bumper sure as sh$t it froze it self to the bumper from her heat .all never for get it... was she lucky..



liftloop
 
Sledding hills are the best places to go in the winter.Lost rings(jewelry),money and cell phones can be found.
 
In the true north , where I live - There is no metal detecting from now until approx. April. All ground is frozen, All lakes are frozen, Everything is frozen! I am part of the ring finders and that is the only time I get out, to find a lost ring, key, or alike.......... their not under the frozen stuff yet.
 
Winter is here in Florida, only got to mid 70s today. Had to put on my 50/50 tee-shirt and leather sandals.... Too cold for flip flops....

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
 
In the true north , where I live - There is no metal detecting from now until approx. April. All ground is frozen, All lakes are frozen, Everything is frozen! I am part of the ring finders and that is the only time I get out, to find a lost ring, key, or alike.......... their not under the frozen stuff yet.

It is the same here. The ground stays frozen until April. You need a jack hammer to dig finds.
 
Pretty much in the same boat as those guys in Minnesota and Montana. Here at 10,000ft., if there's snow on the ground, the ground is frozen. And deep. About the end of May, first of June before you can dig much here in Summit County. If somebody loses somethin in the snow, I'll help em out, and it's usually pretty easy to hit what you're lookin for. In the spring, I'll go detect where the city dumps the snow they cleared off Main Street when it melts down. You can indeed find a lot of stuff that way. For now, the only detecting I've done right around here, is when the wife believed she lost an earring in this 6x8 shag type carpet in our living room. Went to work with the DFX. LOTS of confusing noise and screen activity, but there was a pattern to it. I found an 86 Lincoln cent and a bobby pin. Turned out the earring was back under the couch.
 
I have been running my heat for days... anything below 70 and I am chilly... below 60 I am cold... below 50... FREEZING.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom