What's new

Does anyone here detect in the snow... or has?

Axe, but only if I think there is something really there and not tearing up lawns and that type of stuff.
It's hard work so you only dig the good signals after you shovel as much snow off as you can.
Come visit Northern, NY and learn snow plow pile hunting !
Fair warning though, leave your flip flops and sandals at home. :)
 

Attachments

  • 2014-11-27 19.41.50.webp
    2014-11-27 19.41.50.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2014-11-27 19.41.20.webp
    2014-11-27 19.41.20.webp
    65.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2014-11-27 19.43.16.webp
    2014-11-27 19.43.16.webp
    61.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 2014-11-27 19.51.13.webp
    2014-11-27 19.51.13.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 80
Im at almost 8000ft,its snowin right now.I hunt the turnouts on the highways where tire chains are messed with.antwhere the plows pile snow in large parking lots.Mostly we just bail down to the high desert and work the old homestead sites,a real pleasure to hunt in a teeshirt in winter.
 
I used to be an avid icefisherman. I would sit there, in the freezing blast of snow or sleet, and sometimes rain, and happily fish-away. I was warm inside from the adventure.

One day years later, I was standing over a hole in the ice, jigging away. The wind was picking up, blowing the snow sideways. It was cold. Despite my -150 LaCrosse pacs, and my down-this and expedition weight-that, I was freezing. Fifty yards downwind of me was my buddy, Paul, who was sitting on his bait bucket, back to me. I took my skimmer and pulled up huge gobs of snow from around me, and flipped them into the air. The gale-force wind would whisk those clumps of snow into the back of Paul's head 150ft downwind of me. Despite this sort of amusement I decided that I wasnt having any fun, and that having fun was the reason I took up icefishing in the first place. Since that day, I have never wet the line through the ice again. This was in 2002 I believe.



I would have to think I was onto the best hotspot in New England to get me out detecting in the snow. It would have to be a huge, previously-undiscovered spill of coins from the Whydah for me to brave the elements. Knowing my luck, I'd probably only find a bottle cap from 1717, and get a bad case of frostbite doing it. Nope. I guess you can call me a fair weather detectorist.
 
Last edited:
I have been running my heat for days... anything below 70 and I am chilly... below 60 I am cold... below 50... FREEZING.

Anything above 70, I am perspiring... anything above 60, I am warm... anything above 50, and I might put on a long-sleeve shirt. I'll go check the mailbox at the end of my 200ft driveway in bare feet in any weather above 32F.
 
Have packed in a snow shovel for 40 some years into the woods/cabin sites...there are not froze deep.
Shovel 8'X12' at a time good grid system...keep the 3 extra battery packs close to your body/warm.....rotate often...28"Lesche.
Now that i`m a little older and shoveling snow, kills older goats fast...i stay home when i think it`s to deep.
Then i get my fix on here !
Gary
 
Detecting in snow

I live in Southern Mass
No snow right now but cold . Still detecting in weather 35-40. No problem with a little snow, as long as you don't have 3- to 4 days of 20 degree weather and the ground is frozen . That's when I call it a season.
 
Well said dgareau, and welcome.
When diggin' season ends, research season begins. ;)
Peace ✌
 
Tip: the type of hand warmers you from places like walmart, you tear the bag open, when your done put it back in an airtight bag (Ziplock) and keep an extra set of battery's in an inside pocket
 
Had some really fun hunts in the snow, mostly hunt into the late fall until the frost gets to deep. The early spring can bring some pretty good snow storms also. In the spring the frost seems to come out around the bases of the bigger trees first. If you have any reservoirs where the water level fluctuates you can some times find a frost free strip of shore line in the middle of winter.
 
I used to detect in the snow with my old ACE 250. I had to back the sens off or I would get too many hits from the soil underneath. It is great fun to check out toboggan hills. People lose stuff from top to bottom, but I would find spills at the bottom as people rolled off the sleighs, crashed etc. John Edmonton wrote the book on snow detecting.
 
I have heard that detecting ski lifts can be good. As people lose a lot of rings taking their gloves off.
 
Last edited:
I went snow detecting yesterday only because i found a great deal on a new detector and had to try it out. Had to use a pick in the woods but found a hand full of clad and some old casings.
 
Yes, I dig when it snows..... Wait, clarification.... Yes, I dig the Florida beaches when it snows in Wisconsin! TTC
 
Yes, I dig when it snows..... Wait, clarification.... Yes, I dig the Florida beaches when it snows in Wisconsin! TTC
I have my winter flip flops and winter t-shirt on..[emoji3] [emoji106]
 
I have my winter flip flops and winter t-shirt on..[emoji3] [emoji106]

Thats how I am dressed today but I don't know about you... the last few days have been chilly... had to break out the "long sleeve" t-shirts... any colder I might have to break out a pair of jeans.

Im a cold wuss... I get chilly when it drops below 70... I am cold below 60... and FREEZING/Cant think I am so dang cold below 50... my blood is thin as water.
 
Thats how I am dressed today but I don't know about you... the last few days have been chilly... had to break out the "long sleeve" t-shirts... any colder I might have to break out a pair of jeans.

Im a cold wuss... I get chilly when it drops below 70... I am cold below 60... and FREEZING/Cant think I am so dang cold below 50... my blood is thin as water

I have lived in the cold states of Ohio, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri and Colorado .. Florida's cold doesn't faze me at all when you lived in -30 to -50 F weather...
 
your not the guy in shorts in 35 degree weather are you ?
 
When I started detecting in the 1960's I hunted in all kinds of weather. Now, I hate the rain, snow, wind, heat, cold and any other weather conditions that make me miserable. Consequently, I don't do much hunting anymore.
 
I use to bury beer and tequila bottles in the snow to make them cold and they sometimes got lost and I has to search for them with sticks....Does that count?

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America
 
TH- your pin pointer could probably find those! Lol!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom