Does Anyone Use 4-Wheeler or Mtn.Bike to Access Deep Woods Sites?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This season I plan to go deeper into woods looking for home-sites- just exploring or trying to locate sites plotted on old maps.
I got myself a Garmin Foretrex wrist-worn GPS so I don't have to worry ( Panic is more like it) about getting lost, as the woods
I want to hit are vast. I have seen videos of a guy who used a 4-wheeler to get to colonial sites in the mountains, but i don't
have nor plan to get an RTV. Then it occurred to me-"Why not use a mountain bike?" I'd have to breakdown my detector and
put it in a backpack, but otherwise, why not?
Love to hear what others do to cover more ground and reach more potential hunting grounds.:walk:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my legs. Walking while scouting allows you to slow down and pickup on things you would otherwise miss. I guess a mountain bike wouldn't be that bad unless you are in incredible shape. I believe it would become tiresome after a while and all you would be focused on is getting back to the vehicle. I found many colonial sites deep in the woods while hunting small game and turkey. I suggest hiking in, you would be surprised how much ground you can cover using only your feet. Gl HH Mike

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a 4 wheeler but it would all depend on what you find and if you have enough stamina to carry all the loot out.

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've packed out 17 miles in 4 hours and 10 minutes.Some of the area around here and elsewhere you would have to leave the atv and hoof it a lot anyway.

Wade

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
We just park as close as we can with the car and walk from there. Really haven't hunted any where that we had to hike in a long way.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I park in the school parking lot, and start detecting level ground, bad knees.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am in fine shape, and I love the hike the best, just thought if you cover more ground you discover more sites. my stepson just bought an RTV
but he's into it for the bumps and the mud.

PaulLyons

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2015
California , USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a 4 wheeler but it would all depend on what you find and if you have enough stamina to carry all the loot out.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ATV. Its fun, but here in NH, we have a lot of trees. Trees and ATVs do not mingle well, and you have to stick to trails pretty much all the time. What I really want is a Rokon. They've been around since the 60's and they are made right here in NH. A Rokon is a 2WD bike, and they float. They aren't dirt-bike fast, but they are the premiere vehicle for traveling in the deep woods because they slip so easily between trees. They are super quiet versus the obnoxious booming put-put-put of an ATV.

Rokon 2-Wheel Drive Motorcycles

Watch the videos. It might change your paradigm concerning MDing the woods. I want one so bad!

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my dual sport from time to time.. makes getting to some locations a lot easier. I have a couple where the roads are washed out and even 4 wheelers can't get it. I pretty much know where I am going and getting there is way faster than buy car or truck with the speed you can traverse some of these old overgrown areas :)

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you have a good idea. Remember the first-aid kit.

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a mountain bike and a 4 wheeler. Our forests are very vast too here in Montana. I like to detect around old mining cabins.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a mountain bike and a 4 wheeler. Our forests are very vast too here in Montana. I like to detect around old mining cabins.

+1 Man. This is the stuff I dream of. :thumbsup:

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I have an ATV. Its fun, but here in NH, we have a lot of trees. Trees and ATVs do not mingle well, and you have to stick to trails pretty much all the time. What I really want is a Rokon. They've been around since the 60's and they are made right here in NH. A Rokon is a 2WD bike, and they float. They aren't dirt-bike fast, but they are the premiere vehicle for traveling in the deep woods because they slip so easily between trees. They are super quiet versus the obnoxious booming put-put-put of an ATV.

Rokon 2-Wheel Drive Motorcycles

Watch the videos. It might change your paradigm concerning MDing the woods. I want one so bad!

I remember those. Didn't know they still made them. The ultimate "Tote Goat"

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use me Jeep to get as deep as possible for walking in.
=====================================================================

Same here,,, We have 2 of them. Mine is a 1996 XJ Cherokee,, 6" lift,,rolling on 31s. Have the 4:10 gearing and yes,,, it is locked on both ends.

Wifes is a 1998 TJ,,LCOG (low center of gravity) setup. She has less lift than mine,, rolls on bigger sneakers and has more flex.

It depends on where we are going,,, the anticipated weather and how long. Those factors determines which one we use.

Hit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread