What's new

Does the IRS monitor this forum?

Is the IRS watching?

  • Yes.

    Votes: 21 37.5%
  • No.

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Yes, I got a call after posting a big find.

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • No, you can take off your tinfoil hat.

    Votes: 25 44.6%

  • Total voters
    56
Not anymore. Not since all of their hard drives crashed at the same time! Seriously?

Mike
 
Seriously? about what? I am not sure what part you are asking about seriously. No, seriously. Seriously?
 
Seriously.......

dafdgfdg.webp
 
I just assume I'm on their radar and conduct myself accordingly, not that I'm worth their time or trouble. If I run across the big one you will know them not so much. There are ways. Lol!
 
I rather put my money on the Political Forum,and it ain't the IRS!:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris
 
I just assume I'm on their radar and conduct myself accordingly, not that I'm worth their time or trouble.

Dont say or think that Msbeep,thats on par with with the people who say they have nothing to hide so they dont care if theyre spied on.Those people dont realize that its not up to them whether they have anything to hide or not.
 
The above post is absolutely true.... Everybody should care whether you have "anything to hide" or not.
 
I've been audited twice in the last five years. Those are the only two audits that I've received in the 22 years that I've been filing taxes. It's enough to make a guy paranoid...except that one of those audits resulted in them paying me additional money. I guess that audits can be a double-edged sword. :) The fact that they chose a pretty poor year to audit me on speaks volumes about how they select their targets, and just how much "research" goes into the process.

As I attempted to say earlier, it's not all one giant conspiracy. Are electronic communications monitored? Of course they are. Are certain agencies going through those communications and searching for certain things? I would expect so, or else that's a whole lot of work for nothing. Is a Department of the Treasury SWAT team on hot standby next to a running helicopter, waiting to kick doors down because someone found some jewelry and posted about it? I think that the majority of the forumites here who have posted such finds - sometimes under their real names - would agree that no, they are not. The beach subforum would be a ghost town if they were.

Now if you'll excuse me, a helicopter just landed out back and someone's knocking on my door, so I should probably go and answer it. :)
 
Is a Department of the Treasury SWAT team on hot standby next to a running helicopter, waiting to kick doors

Nobody here said they were:laughing9:
 
I have been audited twice myself.... I always use a CPA now....Neither times was it due to mistakes on my part ... Both times the IRS auditor acted like I was a 2nd rate citizen...
 
Nobody here said they were:laughing9:

Some imply it.

I have been audited twice myself.... I always use a CPA now....Neither times was it due to mistakes on my part ... Both times the IRS auditor acted like I was a 2nd rate citizen...

Not a bad idea. I'd like to consider myself to be in the category that can get by with Turbotax, but the IRS may think otherwise. Regardless, I don't think that they were after me lucky charms. Actually, that one audit that resulted in my getting additional money was my very last 1040 EZ. I'm not even sure why they'd audit one of those. That's like setting up a speed trap on a residential block with speedbumps. I'm not sure what they were expecting to find, which leads me to believe that there is a degree of randomization in the process.

I didn't actually spot the mistake that they'd claimed that I'd made, but they wanted to pay me, so I gave them what they wanted. It seemed easier than arguing with them about it. It's been a few years now, so I suppose that they're happy with it.
 
QUESTION: So where's the safe "cut-off" on posting something found that's worth several thousands if not more? How would anyone feel safe posting a video, pics and the story if they knew they just found thousands or more in wealth. I believe there has to be one... EXAMPLE: If somebody found something worth in the neighborhood of 5 to 25 grand or more and posted it I'd bet you'll get a visit, call or letter from the Govt. wanting a cut.

So where's the cut-off point?
 
If the federal IRS is that hard up for business given their issues right now I will go jump in front of a Greyhound bus:laughing7:

Then again.............would not be the first time our all knowing and brightest minds would neglect work they should be doing for harassing poor folks like us!
 
"If the federal IRS is that hard up for business given their issues right now I will go jump in front of a Greyhound bus:laughing7:"

Come on buddy.... We'd hate to put that to the test now wouldn't we?!!!!
 
don't know for sure if its the IRS watching but the US GOVT IS watching the INTERNET IN GENERAL * and govt agencies do share info..

the one and ONLY time me and the IRS locked horns --it cost them dearly when the smoke cleared -- and I took them on by myself -- no cpa's no lawyers. (greedy prick's were trying to say I owed them --10.000 additional bucks in taxes -- BS to that...)
 
Last edited:
I know of 2 folks, who have had "visits" from law enforcement. One posted illegal activity and got in a lot of trouble out in Calif.
The other was doing nothing wrong and got a visit, "just to check".
With that being said, perhaps if someone is blatantly doing and documenting illegal activity, well.... stupid is as stupid does......
Someone that gets a "visit" and folks are "just checking", well, that person may have an enemy somewhere, or at the least, someone who would wish to mess with him.

Yeah, ya'll all go and post ya'lls million dollar finds. Let us know how that works out for ya.
And yes, ya'll would be surprised at the amount of law enforcement/military types that are on here.
Me worry, LOL! Only if I catch an undersize lobster. They'll put you UNDER the jail for that in Florida. :laughing7:
 
I know of 2 folks, who have had "visits" from law enforcement. One posted illegal activity and got in a lot of trouble out in Calif.
The other was doing nothing wrong and got a visit, "just to check".
With that being said, perhaps if someone is blatantly doing and documenting illegal activity, well.... stupid is as stupid does......
Someone that gets a "visit" and folks are "just checking", well, that person may have an enemy somewhere, or at the least, someone who would wish to mess with him.

Yeah, ya'll all go and post ya'lls million dollar finds. Let us know how that works out for ya.
And yes, ya'll would be surprised at the amount of law enforcement/military types that are on here.
Me worry, LOL! Only if I catch an undersize lobster. They'll put you UNDER the jail for that in Florida. :laughing7:

Well I am but would never go after a person who made a great find of a expensive relic or coin. That is just ridiculous. But then again in my 20 year span as a special agent, I have tried to use common sense to do a job that is sometimes run by folks that need to see the wizard for certain body parts!!!!
 
Well I am but would never go after a person who made a great find of a expensive relic or coin. That is just ridiculous. But then again in my 20 year span as a special agent, I have tried to use common sense to do a job that is sometimes run by folks that need to see the wizard for certain body parts!!!!
Well, thank you for at least attempting to use common sense. I know most folks forget where they put theirs. :laughing7:

And, I SWEAR, each one of them lobsters were/are legal! Especially after I stomp on them! :laughing7:
j/k, I figure I better add that. :laughing7:
I never understood the need or desire to cheat, lie, steal. No matter WHO you are or work for. There's better things in life to aspire towards.......
Some ppl just live and thrive on drama and how much they can stir the pot for others. Real shame, imho.
Predators come in all types.........
 
Well I am but would never go after a person who made a great find of a expensive relic or coin. That is just ridiculous. But then again in my 20 year span as a special agent, I have tried to use common sense to do a job that is sometimes run by folks that need to see the wizard for certain body parts!!!!

Well, where would you say the line is when as I asked above (#52)? And I don't mean an expensive relic or coin. How big of a $20 gold coin cache would one have to find and post here to catch the attention of IRS or Govt.? I believe you'd have to be an idiot to post a video, pic or story about such a find. Probably why you don't see them or you read about the Govt. wanting a piece AFTER they announce to the world such a happening.

Pat-Cat "And, I SWEAR, each one of them lobsters were/are legal! Especially after I stomp on them!" Damn lady... Glad I'm not a small lobster and your hungry!!!!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom