Does the IRS monitor this forum?

Is the IRS watching?

• Yes.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Yes, I got a call after posting a big find.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • No, you can take off your tinfoil hat.

Votes: 25 44.6%

• Total voters

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously.......

dafdgfdg.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just assume I'm on their radar and conduct myself accordingly, not that I'm worth their time or trouble. If I run across the big one you will know them not so much. There are ways. Lol!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I just assume I'm on their radar and conduct myself accordingly, not that I'm worth their time or trouble.

Dont say or think that Msbeep,thats on par with with the people who say they have nothing to hide so they dont care if theyre spied on.Those people dont realize that its not up to them whether they have anything to hide or not.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The above post is absolutely true.... Everybody should care whether you have "anything to hide" or not.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I've been audited twice in the last five years. Those are the only two audits that I've received in the 22 years that I've been filing taxes. It's enough to make a guy paranoid...except that one of those audits resulted in them paying me additional money. I guess that audits can be a double-edged sword. :) The fact that they chose a pretty poor year to audit me on speaks volumes about how they select their targets, and just how much "research" goes into the process.

As I attempted to say earlier, it's not all one giant conspiracy. Are electronic communications monitored? Of course they are. Are certain agencies going through those communications and searching for certain things? I would expect so, or else that's a whole lot of work for nothing. Is a Department of the Treasury SWAT team on hot standby next to a running helicopter, waiting to kick doors down because someone found some jewelry and posted about it? I think that the majority of the forumites here who have posted such finds - sometimes under their real names - would agree that no, they are not. The beach subforum would be a ghost town if they were.

Now if you'll excuse me, a helicopter just landed out back and someone's knocking on my door, so I should probably go and answer it. :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been audited twice myself.... I always use a CPA now....Neither times was it due to mistakes on my part ... Both times the IRS auditor acted like I was a 2nd rate citizen...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Nobody here said they were:laughing9:

Some imply it.

I have been audited twice myself.... I always use a CPA now....Neither times was it due to mistakes on my part ... Both times the IRS auditor acted like I was a 2nd rate citizen...

Not a bad idea. I'd like to consider myself to be in the category that can get by with Turbotax, but the IRS may think otherwise. Regardless, I don't think that they were after me lucky charms. Actually, that one audit that resulted in my getting additional money was my very last 1040 EZ. I'm not even sure why they'd audit one of those. That's like setting up a speed trap on a residential block with speedbumps. I'm not sure what they were expecting to find, which leads me to believe that there is a degree of randomization in the process.

I didn't actually spot the mistake that they'd claimed that I'd made, but they wanted to pay me, so I gave them what they wanted. It seemed easier than arguing with them about it. It's been a few years now, so I suppose that they're happy with it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
QUESTION: So where's the safe "cut-off" on posting something found that's worth several thousands if not more? How would anyone feel safe posting a video, pics and the story if they knew they just found thousands or more in wealth. I believe there has to be one... EXAMPLE: If somebody found something worth in the neighborhood of 5 to 25 grand or more and posted it I'd bet you'll get a visit, call or letter from the Govt. wanting a cut.

So where's the cut-off point?

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the federal IRS is that hard up for business given their issues right now I will go jump in front of a Greyhound bus:laughing7:

Then again.............would not be the first time our all knowing and brightest minds would neglect work they should be doing for harassing poor folks like us!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"If the federal IRS is that hard up for business given their issues right now I will go jump in front of a Greyhound bus:laughing7:"

Come on buddy.... We'd hate to put that to the test now wouldn't we?!!!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
don't know for sure if its the IRS watching but the US GOVT IS watching the INTERNET IN GENERAL * and govt agencies do share info..

the one and ONLY time me and the IRS locked horns --it cost them dearly when the smoke cleared -- and I took them on by myself -- no cpa's no lawyers. (greedy prick's were trying to say I owed them --10.000 additional bucks in taxes -- BS to that...)

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of 2 folks, who have had "visits" from law enforcement. One posted illegal activity and got in a lot of trouble out in Calif.
The other was doing nothing wrong and got a visit, "just to check".
With that being said, perhaps if someone is blatantly doing and documenting illegal activity, well.... stupid is as stupid does......
Someone that gets a "visit" and folks are "just checking", well, that person may have an enemy somewhere, or at the least, someone who would wish to mess with him.

Yeah, ya'll all go and post ya'lls million dollar finds. Let us know how that works out for ya.
And yes, ya'll would be surprised at the amount of law enforcement/military types that are on here.
Me worry, LOL! Only if I catch an undersize lobster. They'll put you UNDER the jail for that in Florida. :laughing7:

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know of 2 folks, who have had "visits" from law enforcement. One posted illegal activity and got in a lot of trouble out in Calif.
The other was doing nothing wrong and got a visit, "just to check".
With that being said, perhaps if someone is blatantly doing and documenting illegal activity, well.... stupid is as stupid does......
Someone that gets a "visit" and folks are "just checking", well, that person may have an enemy somewhere, or at the least, someone who would wish to mess with him.

Yeah, ya'll all go and post ya'lls million dollar finds. Let us know how that works out for ya.
And yes, ya'll would be surprised at the amount of law enforcement/military types that are on here.
Me worry, LOL! Only if I catch an undersize lobster. They'll put you UNDER the jail for that in Florida. :laughing7:

Well I am but would never go after a person who made a great find of a expensive relic or coin. That is just ridiculous. But then again in my 20 year span as a special agent, I have tried to use common sense to do a job that is sometimes run by folks that need to see the wizard for certain body parts!!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am but would never go after a person who made a great find of a expensive relic or coin. That is just ridiculous. But then again in my 20 year span as a special agent, I have tried to use common sense to do a job that is sometimes run by folks that need to see the wizard for certain body parts!!!!
Well, thank you for at least attempting to use common sense. I know most folks forget where they put theirs. :laughing7:

And, I SWEAR, each one of them lobsters were/are legal! Especially after I stomp on them! :laughing7:
j/k, I figure I better add that. :laughing7:
I never understood the need or desire to cheat, lie, steal. No matter WHO you are or work for. There's better things in life to aspire towards.......
Some ppl just live and thrive on drama and how much they can stir the pot for others. Real shame, imho.
Predators come in all types.........

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well, where would you say the line is when as I asked above (#52)? And I don't mean an expensive relic or coin. How big of a $20 gold coin cache would one have to find and post here to catch the attention of IRS or Govt.? I believe you'd have to be an idiot to post a video, pic or story about such a find. Probably why you don't see them or you read about the Govt. wanting a piece AFTER they announce to the world such a happening.

Pat-Cat "And, I SWEAR, each one of them lobsters were/are legal! Especially after I stomp on them!" Damn lady... Glad I'm not a small lobster and your hungry!!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions