does this look like a part of a ship to you?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this piece came from some very old context. other items like pottery, brass nails...ect.. from same area. I don't know enough about the ship manufacturing process historically. I have added a few other items from the site.

ForumRunner_20120717_190503.png

ForumRunner_20120717_190616.png

ForumRunner_20120717_190734.png

ForumRunner_20120717_190841.png

ForumRunner_20120717_191024.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120717_190349.png
    ForumRunner_20120717_190349.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 126

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like cured barrel wood, say from a barrel cover or base. Reason I say this while digging up the coast in your area, friends called me in when they found two large wood barrels buried side by side. Although partially disintegrated, it was obvious these were buried in an upright position. The remaining base looked similar to what you have in appearance. No evidence was found nearby to indicate their purpose. However, the area and the original property owners was known as a fishing community. I suspect the barrels served as a temporary bait wells. Notably, the entire property was loaded with nineteenth century artifacts--including net weights. HOWEVER, your piece is shaped at the tip and makes me think it served as a small rudder to a skiff or sailboat similar in size. Only other alternative is an end to an oar, however, its width and lack of shape across the width tends to rule out that possibility. That is my synoposis.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hard to say, could be about anything. Could be from a ship, could be a lot of things. The second pic looks like a ferrull that a wood handle would slide into, like a hoe handle or something-if it is metal. The amethyst looks like it has been cut, that isnt the normal crystal form. Nice finds. If the nails are bronze they would have been most likely ships nails, brass doesnt work in salt water. Maybe they are bronze. Show some pics of the nails, I know quite a bit about ships nails and spikes. And any details on them. The flint piece is a flintlock rifle flint. That would help date the area somewhat.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the stone is rose cut.. foil set amethyst. set in silver

ForumRunner_20120718_131113.png

they were

ForumRunner_20120718_131414.png

in black crust. pretty sure the flint is spanish. this came from there as well would love some help with the I.d

ForumRunner_20120718_131740.png

ForumRunner_20120718_132039.png I could be wrong but I belive the other item is a conical spear tip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the kicker.... it is marked too that really narrows the date

ForumRunner_20120718_134237.png

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds,Ilike the purple stone and the knife handle,some great finds.:icon_thumleft:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is that an olive jar rim? You have some very nice finds. I dont know the exact date, but it all looks good. The nails look like they are copper. And they are round. Hard to pinpoint anything, but a lot of nails were used on land and a lot were round. Hard to say. I take it these are all land finds.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A far as a conical spear tip, my dad found some very early Spanish armor, including a sword and a pike, which went onto a wooden pole, and the pike had a ferrull just like yours. The pike had a broad blade about 2 feet long and 3 inches wide, and a curved part that swept back up and had 2 points on either side, about a foot apart. It could be a sleeve that fits over a wooden pole. Could be a metal point. Could be very early Spanish.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you very much for the input! nice avitar by the way..

ForumRunner_20120719_225930.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes thats a marked olive jar rim. my research tells me it is middle style. prob. seventeenth century.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other

In the late 80's, I found a site covered with exposed pieces of clay jar (a partially destroyed midden) south of where you and I disgusted in our PM. I was hiking thru the woods from one property to the next where I had permission to explore--but did not have permission on that immediate site. I was backpacking late in the day and when I attempted to get down into the brush from the trail to take a closer look, more than one rattlesnake sounded off. I was not prepared to deal with that so I left them alone. I will share more by private PM if you want to contact me on this. But no guarantee on property access approval.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread