What's new

Don't let the old man in

Beep, check and see if there is an EOS gym near you... I just started my 46th month of 7 day a week workouts. I will be 78 on next birthday. It hasn't made me "the Rock", but I can tell it certainly has helped me.
Funny you mention that (thank you). They shut down a Kroger about a mile away and it's going to be a Crunch Time - a really big one. My daughter and I already agreed to get a membership. Otherwise, doing some exercises for my shoulder and general fitness for now. I agree that fitness is the only way. Detecting helps, but one needs the full sprectrum.
 
Funny you mention that (thank you). They shut down a Kroger about a mile away and it's going to be a Crunch Time - a really big one. My daughter and I already agreed to get a membership. Otherwise, doing some exercises for my shoulder and general fitness for now. I agree that fitness is the only way. Detecting helps, but one needs the full sprectrum.
Yeah, there is Crunch here too, about 7 miles from home, but there is an EOS gym 1 mile as the crow flies, 1.5 mile's by highway from home so that is where I go.

Cardio is my main exercise, 1st thing every morning 7am, 10 miles a day, 7 days a week on stationary bike, 60-65 mins, and then 30 mins of weights.

I was doing 5 miles a day on the treadmill, but it started causing my left knee that had meniscus surgery in 2016 to hurt. Dr's told me after surgery that I had arthritis in my knee, but it never hurt me till I started doing 5 miles on the treadmill, I found the bike doest bother my knee.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, there is Crunch here too, about 7 miles from home, but there is an EOS gym 1 mile as the crow flies, 1.5 mile's by highway from hone so that is where I go.

Cardio is my main exercise, 1st thing every morning 7am, 10 miles a day, 7 days a week on stationary bike, 60-65 mins, and then 30 mins of weights.

I was doing 5 miles a day on the treadmill, but it started causing my left knee that had meniscus surgery in 2016 to hurt. Dr's told me after surgery that I had arthritis in my knee, but it never hurt me till I started doing 5 miles on the treadmill, I found the bike doest bother my knee.
Inspiring indeed.
 
Inspiring indeed.
If I can do it, anyone can....it is such a habit now, that if I dont get up and go I feel guilty.

I have a friend at gym, he is 96, looks 76, and goes to gym every day, he is sharp as a tack too. He is Italian, and drinks couple glasses of wine every day after gym...I asked him his secret to long life once and he said he didnt know if the secret to long life was the exercise or the wine.:laughing7:
 
Good on you. I'm 66, sold my Suzuki GS650EX some 40 years ago (I would have killed myself, no doubt about it). But I do believe you don't stop doing things when you grow old. Rather you grow old when you stop doing things. Still deer hunting and sailing . . . because those are great things.
 
Happy Birthday youngster :) I have been running ragged to high school basket ball games. Yesterday I drove 180 miles to a game then drove back home
 
Nice bike! I’m 72 and still ride but no motors for me. My ‘41 Schwinn.
IMG_2969.webp
 
I am soon to be 80 years old. I still ride bikes. Mine are all electric bikes. I just got a new Lectra XP4. It can go 75 miles before i recharge the battery and it is pedal assisted. I do carry a spare battery for it. Loco Digger on here helped me find a store near us that sold them. I also have 2 Lectra XP-2s on here i need to sell and they also have spare batteries for them
 
Todds Point,
I'm older than your bike and still doing 12-13,000 steps (trot/ walk) 5 or 6 times a week. Hard to beat running on the beach or in a park that I seem to have all by myself early in the AMs.
Don in SoCal
 
Good on you. I'm 66, sold my Suzuki GS650EX some 40 years ago (I would have killed myself, no doubt about it). But I do believe you don't stop doing things when you grow old. Rather you grow old when you stop doing things. Still deer hunting and sailing . . . because those are great things.
I hear you. I had a Honda Nighthawk 650 way back when. Almost killed myself a few times. Fast forward 20 years when I got the Busa ... was showing the son of the owner where I worked what I was thinking about and he said 'that's a young man's bike.' I said 'perhaps, but maybe I'm old enough to actually survive it.' Bikes are dangerous, no question. I don't ride at night, head on a swivel, slow down at green lights, am more into acceleration than speed, leave plenty of room in front of me, live in the rear view at stops, stay off the highway if possible and do not think of anything else but riding while on it. I consciously fear it ... it is no ho-hum deal, which is healthy. I've seen so many get killed or crippled. On some bike sites it is more like a running obituary of who didn't make it through the week. During the first six months of riding, the 'splat period', I had some close calls, did a 100 yard wheelie by accident, but didn't freak out - was perfect, but use the experience to never do it again. Have had it to 140, does ~200 - not interested in mechanical failures at speed. I haven't laid it down or hit anything, but they say it's not a question of if, but when. Most of the time it's what you did not see. Managing risk is key. My parents wouldn't let me get a bike when young; probably why I ride now - have to follow your dreams, but will sell it when I find it sitting in my garage too long or am no longer fully capable, mentally or physically.
 
I forgot to mention my most important rule. I watched hundred of bike accident videos when I got the Busa. I noticed that a significant, if not the majority, of accidents resulted from bikers doing things a car can't do - riding on the shoulder, lane splitting, excessive speed, etc. So, I don't do anything a car can't do or go where a car can't go. I don't go where a vehicle is not expected to be. I wait in traffic, I don't go around it. I've never heard anyone say this type of thing in the way I've described, but it was obvious to me. Also, l always have an escape route in mind. The Busa is a very safe bike - it can get you out of situations in a split second if necessary.
 
Yeah, there is Crunch here too, about 7 miles from home, but there is an EOS gym 1 mile as the crow flies, 1.5 mile's by highway from home so that is where I go.

Cardio is my main exercise, 1st thing every morning 7am, 10 miles a day, 7 days a week on stationary bike, 60-65 mins, and then 30 mins of weights.

I was doing 5 miles a day on the treadmill, but it started causing my left knee that had meniscus surgery in 2016 to hurt. Dr's told me after surgery that I had arthritis in my knee, but it never hurt me till I started doing 5 miles on the treadmill, I found the bike doest bother my knee.
When you guys run into Anatoly JUST tell him HI FOR ME> !!!! Metal detecting is ALSO GREAT EXERCISE and i MEAN IT !~!!!
 
It's not if, it's when & how bad. I.had a bike in the early 70's, had a scary close call & sold it. I haven't been on one since.

Back in about '81 I knew a guy who had a Honda 750, and he showed me how to
ride it, shift, etc. I decided to ride it to work one day, about 20 miles on LA freeways.
It wasn't like riding around that parking lot....in all that traffic going 60 mph. it scared
the crap outta me...got it back home that night and swore to myself...never again.

Didn't find out til later in life that I had a severe balance disorder coming from my
inner ears. No 2-wheelers for me!
GrayWingSmiley.gif
 
Lots of good stories BUT at 76 I meet the "old man "and it was me ! Now a days its hard to find a spot on my body that hasn't had some surgery , no more places to cut and sew back together again . So much for me redoing my bike into a Pro-street ! I rebuild it and sold it ! and I hated doing that!
 
Back in about '81 I knew a guy who had a Honda 750, and he showed me how to
ride it, shift, etc. I decided to ride it to work one day, about 20 miles on LA freeways.
It wasn't like riding around that parking lot....in all that traffic going 60 mph. it scared
the crap outta me...got it back home that night and swore to myself...never again.

Didn't find out til later in life that I had a severe balance disorder coming from my
inner ears. No 2-wheelers for me! View attachment 2248005
Yeah, highways are not to be taken lightly with or without inner ear issues. Buffeting, wind, cracks, debris, holes, bumps, etc. are all amplified on the highway, not to mention the other drivers. Assume you are invisible and act accordingly, there is no other way.
 
Lots of good stories BUT at 76 I meet the "old man "and it was me ! Now a days its hard to find a spot on my body that hasn't had some surgery , no more places to cut and sew back together again . So much for me redoing my bike into a Pro-street ! I rebuild it and sold it ! and I hated doing that!
We all get there sooner or later. Sorry about the Prostreet. I had a PCC chopper with an S&S 113, a 300 on the back, flames, loud ... she was a beauty. I sold it for various reasons, broke my heart.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom