Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Does it have the same silver sound... same weight?

Just throw it really hard against a cement wall and see if it comes apart. ;)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the double sided coin error is the rarest form of error ever for a coin. There is like one or two verified examples on all coins ever minted.

~Dave

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weighed in at just under 13.5 grams which is a gram higher than the weight listed for Franklins in coinflation. Got a funky sound when dropped on the counter not quite like the Kennedy halves I have here with me. Looked at the edge under a dissecting scope and in some areas it looks like two halves were put together.

Oh well looks like I'm not retiring quite yet!

Still amazes me that someone would take the time to do that to a couple of coins. Even has the ridges on the edge.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
My understanding is that it is not possible for the mint to make a two-head or two-tail coin due to the how the process goes when they are made. I have a two-tail quarter I found years ago and researched it alot then and that is what I found out.

If yours is real, it would be worth a ton of fiat.

Jim

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are simple to make really, its an old lathing trick, you hollow out one size but leave the edge, then plain down another for the reverse and stick em together.

Worth the time to the right person. Think of the bets you can win knowing you will get tails %100 of the time!

Winning a coin toss can be quite advantageous.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Jim, yes it is practically impossible for it to be created.

Only one has been proven a true double and I believe it was a double tailed quarter.

The two presses don't fit into each other in the way that you can use the same one twice, so its techincally impossible. Though one was made so I have no idea how that was done.

~Dave

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I got a 2 headed '64 Kennedy, weighs more like yours- hollow sounding. Like JD said made like the magician coins with a lathe. Makes a nice "good luck charm". HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread