What's new

Double sided Franklins?

SnakemanBill

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
411
Reaction score
233
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you ever found a double sided Franklin half? Picked one up this morning in a hand roll thats a double tails. Is this one of those magic coins? Haven't been able to locate another online anywhere. Is there a way to tell if this is a magician coin versus an actual error coin?
 
Upvote 0
Does it have the same silver sound... same weight?

Just throw it really hard against a cement wall and see if it comes apart. ;)

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the double sided coin error is the rarest form of error ever for a coin. There is like one or two verified examples on all coins ever minted.

~Dave
 
Weighed in at just under 13.5 grams which is a gram higher than the weight listed for Franklins in coinflation. Got a funky sound when dropped on the counter not quite like the Kennedy halves I have here with me. Looked at the edge under a dissecting scope and in some areas it looks like two halves were put together.

Oh well looks like I'm not retiring quite yet!

Still amazes me that someone would take the time to do that to a couple of coins. Even has the ridges on the edge.
 
My understanding is that it is not possible for the mint to make a two-head or two-tail coin due to the how the process goes when they are made. I have a two-tail quarter I found years ago and researched it alot then and that is what I found out.

If yours is real, it would be worth a ton of fiat.

Jim
 
They are simple to make really, its an old lathing trick, you hollow out one size but leave the edge, then plain down another for the reverse and stick em together.

Worth the time to the right person. Think of the bets you can win knowing you will get tails %100 of the time!

Winning a coin toss can be quite advantageous.
 
Jim, yes it is practically impossible for it to be created.

Only one has been proven a true double and I believe it was a double tailed quarter.

The two presses don't fit into each other in the way that you can use the same one twice, so its techincally impossible. Though one was made so I have no idea how that was done.

~Dave
 
Probably has a Mexican peso coin inside to throw off the weight. >:(
 
I got a 2 headed '64 Kennedy, weighs more like yours- hollow sounding. Like JD said made like the magician coins with a lathe. Makes a nice "good luck charm". HH Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom