What's new

✅ SOLVED Double Tipped Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Anyone have any of these? Damaged and re-tipped.

DSCN3610.webp

DSCN3609.webp
 
Upvote 0
This is just a shot in the dark but I would imagine that to be part of a compound tool.
I can't see that being done to a point to use as a projectile.
Imagine the red area being a piece of notched bone.
A way of putting a perfectly good haftable base to use after the tip was broken.

IMG_20131229_082147.webp
 
Last edited:
I have never held a twin tipped point but I do know they exist. I see where you are coming from on this piece. Do me a favor and take a picture of the whole tip area concentrating on the flaking. Just want to see the flaking around those tips.......thanks Quito.......What do you think the material is? Looks like Chalcedony stained or honey agate.JMO.....

I just went through the FW section of 10th edition Overstreets, they have a few examples of double tipped points pictured in there check those out if you have the book.. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for more pictured in other sections.
 
Thsi is a tough one to photograph, the flaking is so small in the break area. I hope this makes it more visible.

DSCN3618.webp
DSCN3619.webp
 
Slightly on a serious note, don't you suppose those type were actually used in hunting medium to larger birds. A double pointed projectile would have more stopping power than a single tipped point, and the bird would not be apt to fly off and be lost.


6-2617362.webp Modern small game & bird point.
 
I have this one I found years ago on a Ft Ancient site I hunt. I used to think it was an Effigy, but I know better now. I still call it the Fred Flintstone though.
 

Attachments

  • New007.webp
    New007.webp
    144.1 KB · Views: 82
  • New008.webp
    New008.webp
    125.9 KB · Views: 93
That's really cool Steve, I was hoping someone else would have one. Looks tiny!
 
This is just a shot in the dark but I would imagine that to be part of a compound tool.
I can't see that being done to a point to use as a projectile.
Imagine the red area being a piece of notched bone.
A way of putting a perfectly good haftable base to use after the tip was broken.

View attachment 920233


Good analysis of it Gator. The only thing wrong with this theory would be the base being flattened out from use. This one is still in as made condition other then the tip.
 
Actually hunting for a sensible explanation.
I saw the photos in Overstreets .
 
The snapped base Kirk is in there too
 
The more I look at this the more it looks like an impact fracture.
I'm not seeing any continuity to the flakes.
And it appears there has been some shattering of the stone and a piece that is missing.
 
The more I look at this the more it looks like an impact fracture.
I'm not seeing any continuity to the flakes.
And it appears there has been some shattering of the stone and a piece that is missing.

I have to agree. It shows a large impact fracture at the tip going towards the base not away from the base.
 
The more I look at this the more it looks like an impact fracture.
I'm not seeing any continuity to the flakes.
And it appears there has been some shattering of the stone and a piece that is missing.

You will see what you want, I see whats there, and it is more than just an impact fracture.. now get over to my new thread and start pointing out all my fakes.
 
I have to agree. It shows a large impact fracture at the tip going towards the base not away from the base.

Right rock it was an impact fracture, look closer, and you will see that the two tips have been worked inside the damaged area. I hope gb doesn't stop to quick.
 
Right rock it was an impact fracture, look closer, and you will see that the two tips have been worked inside the damaged area. I hope gb doesn't stop to quick.

Or what will happen?
If you're going to insinuate you might as well type it... You really want to start down that road again?
 
"Slightly on a serious note, don't you suppose those type were actually used in hunting medium to larger birds. A double pointed projectile would have more stopping power than a single tipped point, and the bird would not be apt to fly off and be lost."

Best suggestion I've heard so far.
 
Or what will happen?
If you're going to insinuate you might as well type it... You really want to start down that road again?

LOL, no I was reffering to you not stopping finding all those fakes you accused me of having in my collection.

I thought that thread would keep you busy, why aren't you over there?
 
No offense but I dont see it in yours. I have never seen one (double point) but have plenty of damaged points to view of my own collection that I have found.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom