Dowsing works, but is still spooky

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I generally carry a set of dowsing rods with me when I detect.

A few years back, I wasn't doing any good while I was metal detecting so I went back to the truck and got my dowsing rods.

I went back into the area I was hunting and concentrated on where I would probably find some CW items. I turned in a circle until the rods crossed. I then said take me to the stuff.

I walked and nothing, but to give it it's due, I continued and lo and behold, they crossed. I layed them down there and went and got my detector. I came back and found about 6-10 CW items including bullets, brass and a coin.

So I do believe.

I stopped at a large bookstore to buy another book on the subject. When I walked into the religious/occult/supernatural section at the bookstore, I felt uneasy and the hair stood up on my neck. Undeterred, I got my book and got out.

I haven't dowsed since that experience and I can't remember if I read the book or not.

Burt

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Good story about a good first experience. I am in total agreement about getting the 'Creeps' when in a 'New Age' bookstore....or even in that section of Barnes and Noble. Seems a great place to meet flakes. I've seen some I would not want to meet in the dark.

But.....reestablish your acquaintance with your rods, or even a pendulum. Get on the internet and click on 'Abe's Books'. Get a copy(used) of Modern Dowsing by Raymond C. Willey and a copy(new) of Dowsing for Beginners by Richard Webster.

I felt like a real nut when I started trying to dowse; half skeptical, half believer. My wife was sure I was nuts so I hid it from everyone else. I went through the books mentioned, a few times, using the drills and practice routines. After a couple months I was finding things.....easily. I have always used a metal detector in conjunction with my dowsing whenever possible.

Now, I have trouble shutting my wife's mouth when we (she now helps) find something. I'm no longer the 'resident nut' to her. Have faith in yourself and try it. I'm sure it will come back to you and you will love it.

Hang in there.

Bud

OP
OP
wildrider

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Actually, I have Dowsing for Beginners and Pendulum Magic for Beginners both by Webster.

It's been a while since I read them or used the rods or my pendulum. The pendulum is alot harder to concentrate on.

I remember the time I talked about in the other post.

It seemed like I had a heightened sense of smell and hearing too. Right now, I can almost smell the odor of the dew settling over the alfalfa/clover just before dusk as the last vestiges of the suns rays disappeared over the western horizon. The last sounds of the meadowlarks and the bawling of cattle in the adjacent pasture still lingering in my mind.

Definitely a place I would return to if it wasn't someones garden behind some newly built homes.

Burt

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I took mine to the folks (I am still just in the not sure what to do stage but its kinda cool) My dad laughed, my brother shook his head and my mom just said she once knew someone with the ability. Later they are laying outside on the table and we are looking at coins. My dad comes over picks them up throws a coin on the ground and walks past it nothing mumbling bunch of bs. I told him it has to be silver....laughing, so he grabs a silver coin does the same thing and it crosses, he got a funny look on his face did it a couple more times, then I put my ring down and it lead him to it. Finally he looks at the rods shakes his head puts them on the table and goes back inside, never saying a word. The kids play with the rods for a while, my sister in law does, then my brother(no nonsense don't buy into any of it) gives it a go, pretty much the same story as my dad. Not sure what they think now, but I know they ain't making fun of me anymore.

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Burt and Texasgirl,

I love it when I see someone traveling the same path I have followed. Please try not to over-analize what has happened. Just accept it. It doesn't matter one whit whether you understand...or even care about sun-spots, auras, magnetism, Chakras or any other mumbo-jumbo. Accept what happened and work to make it happen again.

Test yourself, practice. It is great if those close to you believe in you. It certainly is not neccessary. Prove your dowsing to yourself and they will come around. You will probably find a 'helper' among those who were prior skeptics.

Webster's books are pretty good but I highly recommend Raymond C Willey's 'Modern Dowsing'. It is the only book I have found that speaks in a down-to-earth manner that is not 'witchy' or 'mystical'. He was a trustee, secretary and one of the founders of the 'American Dowsing Society'. This guy was the 'real deal'.

I am not, by any stretch, an 'expert dowser' (whatever that is). I am a major ex-skeptic. I think the biggest hurdle, in others I've seen, is they think their dowsing experience is a flash-in-the-pan. 'Can't happen again', 'Can't happen to me' or 'Billy-Bob thinks this is crap so..I am probably wrong'.

You will, one day soon, do a serious search for something serious and you WILL find it. This will probably frighten you. It will certainly be life-changing. It happened that way with me. My wife nearly ran me out of the house (I proved it was not evil, only used for good) before she became my helper. My wife and I are Christians who believe in helping others. A good side-light is that we end up helping ourselves also.

Don't give up on this and get that 'Willey' book. Good luck and good hunting.

Bud

silverhunter/dowser

Oct 5, 2004
columbia sc
wildrider
another good book that i am working though right now is Simmons Scientific Revised Professional's complete Dowsing Course. It is pricey but very good if you decide that you want to go after the big stuff.(professional)HH

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I love it when I see someone traveling the same path I have followed. Please try not to over-analize what has happened. Just accept it. It doesn't matter one whit whether you understand...or even care about sun-spots, auras, magnetism, Chakras or any other mumbo-jumbo. Accept what happened and work to make it happen again.

Test yourself, practice. It is great if those close to you believe in you. It certainly is not neccessary. Prove your dowsing to yourself and they will come around. You will probably find a 'helper' among those who were prior skeptics.
Great Post BudP....Art

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
silverhunter/dowser said:
wildrider
another good book that i am working though right now is Simmons Scientific Revised Professional's complete Dowsing Course. It is pricey but very good if you decide that you want to go after the big stuff.(professional)HH
Silverhunter: Let us know HOW valuable this course actually is by how successful retrievals, would you? I realise it is fool-hearty to tell us exactly what you find because of the snooping long nose of the gubermint. Yet, some vague details would be nice to hear in support of your endorsement of the Dowsing Course. steven.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Hey wildrider,

I would go on a search and destroy mission after that experience. Tell God you want to trash that wandering dead bastard that scared you and ask of him to show you the monster's secret. Jesus said to go out into the world and learn the ways of the serpent. He also said be ye as wise as serpents, yet gentle as doves. Go slab that prick. Twisted Fork

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weird..I just found this thread..and also just got my own dowsing rods... am dying to try em out

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
If the rods don't get it, try a light weight willow fork. 2 foot arms with a length of 6 to 8 inches for the point; about pinky finger in diameter. Wear a gold ring, and search out other gold jewelry. Honest. Twisted

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure about this subject.... The Bible says stay away from devination, not too sure if this is the same thing or not....

Who was you talking too in this part of your story?

I went back into the area I was hunting and concentrated on where I would probably find some CW items. I turned in a circle until the rods crossed. I then said take me to the stuff.

It is definately too spooky for me.... and yes plenty of this stuff is used in Satanism and Witchery.

Dont get me wrong here, I am not condeming you as I do not know too much about it....

Interesting topic.

God bless
Peter

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
I hear ya there on the evils. If your are saved, nothing in the world can change it. There is nothing entering the mouth that can harm you. Everything is spiritual. I wonder how God would feel about you giving most of a treasure you found to needy children? Hmmmmm

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I think the bible thumpers say everything is evil that they don't understand, or can't figure out a way to get some of it into their collection plates, then close their minds to trying to understand it.

ANYTHING can be good or evil if it's used that way. It's not the device it's the person using it and their intents that make something good or bad.

Using dowsing to find lost items to return to folks is not evil, contrary to what many religious people try very hard to tell you.

It isn't a bunch of spooks and goblins and hoogey boogey wiggidy niggidy blimmo blammo garbage like you see in the movies or cheap circus side shows. The energy that you are using, basically is emanating from you, the rod or pendulum is just something to focus that energy to help you better use it, much like a wrench is a tool to help you focus the strength of your arm to turn a tight nut.

It does work for some, and is only evil if one wishes to use it for evil intents. Then again, it's not like you can use it to 'hurt' someone or make a voodoo hex doll or any crap like that, so you can throw that supersticious stuff out as well.

Have fun honing your skills, it does take a lot of time to get good, and don't get discouraged. Even the best dowsers have bad days.

Aaron

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Aaron....I use natural signals from objects to find them...I see no evil or paranormal involved in the process. Just because someone who claims to be smart makes a statement does not make it true...The way I look at it if god didn't want us to Dowse it would not work for me

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ascholten

If you read my reply properly, I said that I did not know much about the subject, and was just giving you information on what I have heard..... I do not know if what I have heard is correct or not... I am willing to learn. I was not trying to be the Bible thumper as was said, I was just looking for some answers on a subject I know very little about..... For your information, I used to do magic for fun..... I was told that this is also very bad, but as I know more about the subject and what it is about, I disagreed with the people.....
I have seen many programs on TV about the subject..... and all of them speak about using spirits to guide you.... I dont know if this is true.....
So instead of jumping on me, how about giving me the right story as you know it? I will not know what is true if I dont have all the details.
I have heard some of the people doing this type of treasure hunting telling the rods what to look for etc.... if this is the case then who are you talking too, get my point......?

I have been on this site for a good couple of years now, and have not "Bible thumped" anybody..... as for the collection plate...... the chuch has nothing to do with me asking about this subject either.

This site is about asking and learning and giving opinions..... if you dont like that well why do you come here? Be a part of the learning and help us ignorant few.... I know this has been a very contriversial subject.... I am open minded and wanting to see for myself.

Now we have that out the way, no hard feelings.... Please I am asking for your help.... seeing as you are the guys who do this stuff...... It just spooks me out that is all..... even the original writer said that it is still spooky for him..... why?

Hope we can now be friends, and learn together as was my original intention.....

God bless
Peter

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Peter it seems you got so bent over the bible thumper comment that you started preaching and didn't read the rest of my post, or didnt pay attention, or whatever. You were not the only person to reply in this thread before my post either so don't automatically assume that everything everyone posts after your post is automatically just for you. Sometimes you get answers that are not what you want to hear, are not spoonfed to you or disagree with your disposition.... if you can't handle an answer to a question then don't ask the question.

I did offer advice, suggestions, and constructive comments you choose not to pay attention.

Nobody can teach you how to dowse, nobody can give you a 'handout' and presto you can dowse. You can read books, you can listen to 'comments' from other folks, but it's mostly about 'YOU' and you are the one that has to make it work for you. The books and stuff will guide you, or give you ideas what worked for others but ultimately it's all on you to make it work or not work.

If you insist on doing some kind of 'rictual' to do your dowsing, ie asking permission, twirling in a circle 3 times or whatever... then you have set yourself to make it work that way for you.

FWIW, I ask permission before i use my tool, then again I have also asked myself, wait now... since im basically talking to ME, and using MY skills, MY perceptions. why the hell am I asking myself for permission, of course I have permission, I don't need to ask. But thats the way I was initially told to do it, and well.... it works so im not going to tinker with it... like many other things in life, it's just a minor thing afterall, why get all bothered and upset over something trivial.

Some folks insist your pendulum needs to be bathed in the moonlight of the full moon to cleanse it. Others insist on burning incense to purify the air....the list of 'doos and don'ts'.... goes on and on.

Is it all a bunch of crap and theatrics and parlor tricks? Does dowsing really need to have all this 'high maintenance' upkeeping to work. I honestly can't say yes or no. It works for them, and that's the important thing. It might be entirely neutral (as in, does nothing for or against the net product) in their dowsing success, but if they believe it helps, then it does help, because it puts them into a more 'successful mode' for dowsing. Kind of the self fufilling prophecy thing there, if you believe it will help you, then it probably will.

And finally, I don't have all the answers, in fact I have practically NO answers, I have not been dowsing for very long, but have been fairly successful at it. I know folks that would put me to utter shame skillwise dowsing. It's all what YOU make of it.

I can tell you all day how to ride a bike, , but until you actually figure it out for yourself, the balance, the steering, the pedalling, yadda yadda, no book in the world, no coaxing in the world, no teacher, is going to make you 'get it' any sooner than actual hands on experience. Dowsing is the same.

Practice is the best learning tool you will ever get on it.

aaron

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a pendulum... have for many years.. yes I am not christian ( and kindly dont go on a bashing spree on me) The dowsing rods, just called to me..another learning tool... a way for my inner self to grow and learn more... I believe in me and my personal religious beliefs I take very seriously... but I will master the rods, they have already worked once...

why in hell am I posting this....I have no clue....

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
Some folks just is sensitive to them spiritual mannerisums; the point is to dis-spell yo fears. I on the other hand I don't think nothing of it. If the gold is there I get it, if'n I don't it ain't. Plain an simple. Fun is an fun it are. Get da gold okay. Twisted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread