What's new

~Dream Hunt 1916-D Mercury Dime~

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today Mr Stuff (Dave) drove up to hunt with me, and wow....we both had a KILLER day!

We hunted sidewalk curb strips and a couple old houses. Our finds were just awesome today. He was kicking my butt on silver and I grumbled that I had not YET dug a silver coin yet today and the very next signal was a solid 12-45 at 4-5"...........I cut the plug and opened it up. I saw a silver dime, pulled it out of the hole and right away I saw it was a merc....cool. I yelled at Dave, "hey I finally got a silver!" then I looked at it and saw the 1916, and nervously flipped it over and saw the D.....instantly I started shaking. I am still in utter amazement, this is a once in a lifetime find. Thank God I did not scratch it.

It got rinsed very gingerly with water, and took it straight to the bank safety deposit box until I can send it in to be graded and slabbed.

Other than that the rest of my finds were awesome, I ended up getting a silver trifecta, 1946 rosie, the 1916D merc, and a 1905 barber dime.

3 injuns, bunch of wheats, best being a 1909. A good luck token, buffalo nickel, play coin. Lead soldier, and bunch of clad as well.

I am still amazed, I took dirty pictures of the 1916-D and rinsed pictures as well. I can't wait to send it in, any ideas what it will grade?

Mr. Stuff had an awesome silver day.....I think he got a double trifecta of silver dimes as well as a silver half. What a DREAM hunt! thanks to everyone for looking!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • 1916-D dirty.webp
    1916-D dirty.webp
    106.3 KB · Views: 7,000
  • 1916-D.webp
    1916-D.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 6,617
  • 1916-D-2.webp
    1916-D-2.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 6,723
  • 8-27-11 dirty.webp
    8-27-11 dirty.webp
    92.7 KB · Views: 6,924
  • 1916-D dirty.webp
    1916-D dirty.webp
    106.3 KB · Views: 6,691
  • 8-27-11.webp
    8-27-11.webp
    97.8 KB · Views: 6,644
  • DSC01309.webp
    DSC01309.webp
    81 KB · Views: 6,629
  • good luck token.webp
    good luck token.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 6,575
  • 8-27-11 3 injuns.webp
    8-27-11 3 injuns.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 6,599
  • 8-27-11 trifecta.webp
    8-27-11 trifecta.webp
    74.8 KB · Views: 6,539
  • 1916-D.webp
    1916-D.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 6,512
  • 1916-D-2.webp
    1916-D-2.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 6,493
Upvote 12
Congratulations on making the BANNER Terry! :hello2:

You certainly deserve it with that find! :notworthy:

Dave
 
Woodland Detectors said:
Nice banner coin! I knew you'd find one some day! Congrats on the banner
thank you so much! I never dreamed it would get on the banner so quick!!!!
 
Good job on a lot nice keepers and 1916-D key date is a killer find :headbang: ! The ground keeps your coins in great shape. Congrats on the Banner Coin :icon_thumright: !

TommNJ
 
nice hunt, that merc is in decent shape too. Congrats on the banner as well
 
Quite the variety of finds there, :headbang:
congrats on the banner :thumbsup:
 
congrats on the banner and awesome hunt!!! Wow a 1916D!! I'd be high as a kite! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
 
Congrats on a great find! Just last month, I found a(nother) 16 Merc; they always make you catch your breath before looking for the "D." Good for you!
 
You "D" Man!
Killer, coin, killer condition.
Mucho Kudos!
Carl
 
Somebody else just found a swastica good luck coin, boy scout I believe maybe. I think mine was a shoe store. Aparently more different types that I thought there were. Cool stuff.
 
shabam!!!!A Merc on my sites is usually a bad sign,but I will take a 1916 "D",any day!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Amazing coin find. Congrats.
 
Congrats on a find of a lifetime. I am happy to see you up on top! You deserve it!
 
Neil in West Jersey said:
Congrats on a find of a lifetime. I am happy to see you up on top! You deserve it!
thank you Neil, means a LOT coming from YOU!
 
Congratulations on finding the "Holy Grail of Dimes"!!! That one is still on my wish list. I dint know if this has been addressed yet, but does it say anything on the back of the 1909 wheat? Nevertheless... A true Dream Hunt indeed!
Congrats on the Banner.


Keep It Up! M.J.
 
awesome fine and 100% worthy of banner. congrats!!

Looks to be a VG8 to VG10 gross grade - who knows how the grading companies will do though.
 
thats awesome dude! congrats on a true american rarity! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom