What's new

~Dream Hunt 1916-D Mercury Dime~

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
4,949
Reaction score
2,326
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthWest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today Mr Stuff (Dave) drove up to hunt with me, and wow....we both had a KILLER day!

We hunted sidewalk curb strips and a couple old houses. Our finds were just awesome today. He was kicking my butt on silver and I grumbled that I had not YET dug a silver coin yet today and the very next signal was a solid 12-45 at 4-5"...........I cut the plug and opened it up. I saw a silver dime, pulled it out of the hole and right away I saw it was a merc....cool. I yelled at Dave, "hey I finally got a silver!" then I looked at it and saw the 1916, and nervously flipped it over and saw the D.....instantly I started shaking. I am still in utter amazement, this is a once in a lifetime find. Thank God I did not scratch it.

It got rinsed very gingerly with water, and took it straight to the bank safety deposit box until I can send it in to be graded and slabbed.

Other than that the rest of my finds were awesome, I ended up getting a silver trifecta, 1946 rosie, the 1916D merc, and a 1905 barber dime.

3 injuns, bunch of wheats, best being a 1909. A good luck token, buffalo nickel, play coin. Lead soldier, and bunch of clad as well.

I am still amazed, I took dirty pictures of the 1916-D and rinsed pictures as well. I can't wait to send it in, any ideas what it will grade?

Mr. Stuff had an awesome silver day.....I think he got a double trifecta of silver dimes as well as a silver half. What a DREAM hunt! thanks to everyone for looking!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • 1916-D dirty.webp
    1916-D dirty.webp
    106.3 KB · Views: 7,000
  • 1916-D.webp
    1916-D.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 6,617
  • 1916-D-2.webp
    1916-D-2.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 6,723
  • 8-27-11 dirty.webp
    8-27-11 dirty.webp
    92.7 KB · Views: 6,924
  • 1916-D dirty.webp
    1916-D dirty.webp
    106.3 KB · Views: 6,691
  • 8-27-11.webp
    8-27-11.webp
    97.8 KB · Views: 6,644
  • DSC01309.webp
    DSC01309.webp
    81 KB · Views: 6,629
  • good luck token.webp
    good luck token.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 6,575
  • 8-27-11 3 injuns.webp
    8-27-11 3 injuns.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 6,599
  • 8-27-11 trifecta.webp
    8-27-11 trifecta.webp
    74.8 KB · Views: 6,539
  • 1916-D.webp
    1916-D.webp
    112.3 KB · Views: 6,512
  • 1916-D-2.webp
    1916-D-2.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 6,493
Upvote 12
Where were you hiding the horseshoe? ;D That certainly would make anyone"s day. Congratulations on a truly great hunt. Would certainly get the dime conserved and slabbed!!
 
foreverRich said:
Where were you hiding the horseshoe? ;D That certainly would make anyone"s day. Congratulations on a truly great hunt. Would certainly get the dime conserved and slabbed!!
been slabbed and was graded VG-08
 
Thought I'd replied already but I guess not. Congrats on the dig and the excellent grade!

ffd
 
OMG, I've read that they go up to $30K. Ya-yannggg, why cointenly!!! $$$$$......Dude!!! :icon_sunny:
 
Goes4ever said:
Was searching eBay and just saw the exact good luck token sold on there recently for $19.95.....nothing compared to the dime, but still a sweet find, I found it earlier that morning and it actually made my day as a good luck token with a swastika has always been on my want list. Cool piece of history for sure

So the token must be pre WWII? Any idea of the date?? Man, I think I'd set up camp there and stay awhile!!! Phew!!! :coffee2:
 
Here's something on them. Produced from 1910-1930, typically has a swastika and made for the boy scouts. It appears to be from a Indiana clothing store. What an incredible hunt for you my friend. :thumbsup:
 
Congratulations on your 1916D. I'm new around here and just read all of this post. Very nice, I figured it would be VG also...the coins you found all turned out beautiful. Could you please tell me your cleaning process? I ruined an Indian head once by putting it in white vinegar...I'll never do that again!! :o...I read that someplace on the net...what bad info. Your coins look great...Thanks for any info you can provide.
 
Dug1898 said:
Congratulations on your 1916D. I'm new around here and just read all of this post. Very nice, I figured it would be VG also...the coins you found all turned out beautiful. Could you please tell me your cleaning process? I ruined an Indian head once by putting it in white vinegar...I'll never do that again!! :o...I read that someplace on the net...what bad info. Your coins look great...Thanks for any info you can provide.
here is something I put together to help clean finds
http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/clean-finds/
 
Thank you so much for sending me the link to your site. I'll always clean my coins like you do now. With all the stories here on Tnet and now your site, I'll never get any sleep...lol...I want to go detecting today; but it's raining and I can't stop reading about your finds anyways, lol. Thanks again, you're a real professional. Here's to ya, :coffee2:
 
Dug1898 said:
Thank you so much for sending me the link to your site. I'll always clean my coins like you do now. With all the stories here on Tnet and now your site, I'll never get any sleep...lol...I want to go detecting today; but it's raining and I can't stop reading about your finds anyways, lol. Thanks again, you're a real professional. Here's to ya, :coffee2:
thanks for the kind words! happy hunting!
 
nice merc :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF
 
That is truly awesome!:icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom