Early Tayopa newspaper story

Hello Don Jose, lilorphannie, Orobanco

Thank you all for the very interesting information supplied. There much information for me to digest there. In light of Lilorphannie's statement I should make it clear also as I have no invested interested In TAYOPA other than my brief which was to try to find the locations of Tayopa documents..

However That is not to say I have not enjoyed the comments on this forum immensely. Clearly as you all have rightly pointed out in various comments that the evolution of Tayopa mining camp was just a little more complex than just another lost mine. As you comments are much appreciated as there was much I did not know, some for me is some what of crash course in Tayopa lore for me.

However I will endevour to answer you each individually.

Don Jose: Thank you for your interesting comments especially in regards to parishes and with the bits of information you have posted. I understand the complexities of being a discoverer of such a site and yet be in a complex position to get the maximum benefit from such a discovery. Mining History is full of discovers getting a raw deal over mining claims. So I think you have to play your cards well. And in regards to a possible treasure trove claim as Lilorphannie pointed out you have the potential to claim under treasure trove laws, providing you have some very good reliable evidence.

Oroblanco: Thank you kindly with the priceless information of various spelling variations of Tayopa. It of course creates complexities on its own as knowing which spelling variation applies to which era and which Tayopa as each respective mining are adopted variations of the Tayopa name.

lilorphannie: Thank you so much for comments about the Jesuit school, documents especially. I did not know about them. I knew about alleged documents, baptismal documents of Guadleupe de Tayopa second mining phase? via the claims of Carl Sauer a Californian Scholar who had learned that the documents was kept in Church of Bacadeguachi. he Also mentions documents of Tayopa Marriage Banns drawn up before 1700 in Arizpe.

Springfeild: Waiting so patiently for me to reply...

In regards to Dobie I am not trusting his claims to any great detail on his part or connection to the Tayopa story. Like many 20th century writers on treasure stories Dobie I believe stretched to the truth a little in some of his claims. James Frank Dobie loves stories the stories he writes as as folklorist and his unorthodox way of telling them is entertaining at least was well worth buying his books.

For example his claim he went with C B Ruggles to Mexico and searched for Tayopa? Being part of my modus operandi is check to see if there is any evidence of such claims.

6a00d83451f25369e20120a5b4f862970c-800wi.gif

Corp

Hello Again

in continuing my post...on Dobie.

Some books claim Dobie and C B Ruggles in 1927 were approached in their camp in La Quipartia a valley west of Chilhuahua in Mexico by a man allegedly called Custard. first of all I wanted to confirm they were there in 1927 in Mexico?

I searched All Border Crossings: From Mexico to U.S., 1895-1964 Nara roll. There is no record of a James frank Dobie entering or leaving the United states in 1927 or any other date???? So I checked United States passport applications 1795 to 1925. Although the passport data base ends available ends at 1925. it is possible he could of applied for one after 1925 hence on another roll. And it is fair to speculate that he could passed through a rather lax border post back then. there is no evidence i have at this stage to support the claim that Dobie has ever visited Mexico?

It could of been possible he was told of or by C B Ruggles encounter with a man called Custard as Dobie used a bit of creative writing to include himself into the story? Perhaps a an early attempt at Gonzo journalism?

So it got me thinking about this mysterious C B Ruggles and I searched the archives looking to discovery who this man was. I searched All Border Crossings: From Mexico to U.S., 1895-1964 Nara roll and United States passport applications 1795 to 1925. Sure enough I found C B Ruggles All Border Crossings: From Mexico to U.S., 1895-1964 Nara roll and United States passport applications 1795 to 1925. He did apply for a passport in 1921 and did cross the border in 1921 back into the united States . There is no record of him ever entering Mexico or USA after that date to 1965 no evidence that he was in Mexico in 1927.

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 C B RUGGLES P1 cropped version 2.jpg

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925  C B RUGGLES P2 PICTURE AND REFERENCE crop version.jpg

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925  C B RUGGLES P2 PICTURE AND REFERENCE crop version referen.jpg

Please be patient as I am questioning parts of Dobies version of events that led to discovery of alleged Tayopa Documents and alleged Deterro. Some believe that Dobies alleged directions led to a Tayopa as as in kind accurate enough. But it does call into question how and where and who from this alleged Tayopa information came from?

That of of course was this alleged Custard????

To be continued....

Corp.

Attachments

• U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925  C B RUGGLES P2 PICTURE AND REFERENCE crop version referen.jpg
    U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 C B RUGGLES P2 PICTURE AND REFERENCE crop version referen.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Excellent, please do continue amigos. BTW for researchers, Tayopa is spelled in the old records many different ways; like Tayopa, Tayope, Taiopa, Teopa, Tiopa Tyopah, many variants. The one I find most intriguing however is not "the" Tayopa but Teopari, which I think was the site Dobie had concluded was Tayopa.

More please, and need more coffee!
Oroblanco

Good point. Could this be the same site, aka 'Topira', sought by Coronado during his 1538/1539 joint venture with Marcos de Niza?

http://nallino.net/Arizona/Arizona.pdf

... I searched All Border Crossings: From Mexico to U.S., 1895-1964 Nara roll. There is no record of a James frank Dobie entering or leaving the United states in 1927 or any other date???? So I checked United States passport applications 1795 to 1925. Although the passport data base ends available ends at 1925. it is possible he could of applied for one after 1925 hence on another roll. And it is fair to speculate that he could passed through a rather lax border post back then. there is no evidence i have at this stage to support the claim that Dobie has ever visited Mexico? ...

... it does call into question how and where and who from this alleged Tayopa information came from?

That of of course was this alleged Custard????

To be continued....

Corp.

Great work, CI. It's well known Dobie stretched the facts to fit his published tales, which nonetheless are excellent reading. I guess it shouldn't be a shock that he apparently never entered Mexico, but as you hinted, getting into and out of Mexico without documentation might not have been a problem for him. On balance though, one might conclude he never crossed the Rio Grande.

That said, it's also clear Dobie was extremely knowledgeable and seemingly had very good connections. At least one of these later turned out to be controversial - the Coronado's Children character 'Peg Leg' Tumlinson, whose descendant Travis Tumlinson allegedly discovered the so-called 'Peralta Stones' near Florence, AZ - quite a can of worms.

It will be interesting what you turn up on Ruggles/Custard and Dobie's link to them. One thing's for sure - Dobie had a big role in putting treasure stories in the public domain.

i too doubt that dobie actually searched for tayopa or ever entered mexico. but when i first came to mexico in the 1970's no passport was required. noone ever registered us at port of enrty and upon exit one only had to swear your cizenship. also there were no fences then and many clandestine crossings as some people had land and family on both sides of the border. i frequently crossed at lochiel,az. an abanbonded port of enrty .there was never anyone there. the sign only said to close the gate after you leave. i would put four or five sticks of dynamite in my boots and drive up into the mountains to blast out huge chunks of turquoise, and return to the states to sell it in tucson. i also on occasion drove overland to enter into mexico with my dredging equipment. i never hid anything ,and was totally open about my activities to anyone on both sides of the border. noone seemed to care or was bothered by any of it .life was a lot simpler back then. dobie or anyone else could have come and gone in a similar fashion.

Springfield wrote
Good point. Could this be the same site, aka 'Topira', sought by Coronado during his 1538/1539 joint venture with Marcos de Niza?

http://nallino.net/Arizona/Arizona.pdf

Interesting possibility, but seems that Teopira is a bit too far north and northwest, beyond the frontier as it was circa 1539. Can't rule it out either, but interesting to speculate. If it were Topira, then a source of emeralds remains to be found! Thank you for the interesting article, that story of the 1538 expedition to Arizona will remain one of the mysteries in my opinion. Six hundred leagues northwest, and finding the latitude at 35 degrees, would not be far wrong; the inclusion of that detail is the one thing which keeps the story in the "maybe" file for me rather than pure myth.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek. And please do continue, great materials posted thus far!
Oroblanco

G'd morning A cloudy, windy, wet morning from Hurricane Manuel, join me for coffee?

As usual Orpan annie is correct, however in regards to Tayopa and it's dependencies, there are many delicate nuances in the legality and interpretations of any treasures found on the Claim.

This was carefully explored, of course, and after a visit to the Hacienda, etc., It was determined that if in excavating an old mining claim, a few bars etc were to be found in the corner of a room or in an underground workings, they would considered as belonging to the owner of the claim, and so simply bring them in to the hacienda, pay your normal production taxes and all would be simply normal business..

So in the case of a separate deposit, it could also be declared as an exploratory project since the area shows 6 grams of Oro, gold.

The key is whether the Gov't would consider it as a Patrimony of Mexico, in which case they could, as Annie said, confiscate it, or pay you a fair value for it, or as generally happens, simply confiscate the lot. The key here is to retain critical information, 'which I have done', which would be valuable for a trade off or a cooperative operation.

Archaeologically speaking, I wish to co-operate in the extreme, as I should.

We shall see. Much could depend upon ACorp's findings.

K now you know why I have held off on posting pictures of Tayopa itself for a no of years while reducing my fingernails and stalling my friends in here for photographs etc. sigh sorry to all of my friends, k Springfiled?

The fascinating thing about Dobie is that his descrition on the campsite where he suppsedly met the mule train and had fresh corn donated by the men, while one of the men blew his bugle, is correct ? Only at that exact point would the sound wave travel to 3 different reflecting surfaces and return to the point of origin?? Wonderful imagination or information which was never published?

This is also the spot where one drops down into the Paramo, climbs up on the opposite side, goes around the Cerro del muerto and descends on a pole road into the lower part of the Tayopa canyon by passing the small waterfall at the exit of the Paramo into the Tayopa canyon.. Incidentally the two dwarf peaks, 'Cerros Chapos', that are mentioned lie to the left as he decends are there. Curiously, the are a few other trails that are far easier to access the Tayopa Barranca. Even Today the original, 'well graded trail' to nowhere, exists part way down into the Paramo.

Side thingy, the Paramo was my original goal - why is a state secret snicker. It was a critical step.

So I will post this before the hurricane disrupts my inernet service.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Trail into Tayopa pole road..jpg.Cerros.jpgJesuit head quarters today.jpg

Last edited:
Good mOrning: I forgot to include the arroyo Caudaloso in the last picture. It comes out of that fault area which the trail ascends, comes down, joins it's brother from the Paramo - same fault - and exits by a small waterfall into the Tayopa Canyon on the right.

It is indicated with ''a's''

I am also indicating where Dobie supposedly had his camp site where the mule driver blew his horn looking for Tayopa.

Finally, I noticed that except for ACorp, no one noticed or commented in that I had found Tayopa 'before' Dobies book, Map, or any of the other popular data that has been posted or read.. :dontknow::laughing7::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

In effect I used all of the published data to backtrack - reverse enginer - and identify Tayopa after I had found it. < att ORO.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Trail into Tayopa pole road..jpgDobies camp site.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings all

Here is a more in depth look the story about Dobies version of Ruggles Tayopa search.

In searching for the identity of the person who supplied an Deterreo to C B Ruggles on Tayopa? I searched the Mexican nation Census for anyone with the last name Custard. Nothing by 1930 at least. So I check Deaths index in Mexico 1680 -1940 Nothing. I looked at Mexico marriages 1570 – 1950 nothing. I looked at baptisms in Mexico index 1560-1960 Nothing.

Clearly this Person called Custard was not Born or living I Mexico at the time. However I Checked Mexican Border Crossings, 1894 -1964 and there was One name a Leila Custard crossed the border in 1940 US Passport applications 1795 to 1925 one name a Louis Custard Jr applied for a passport in 1857. was he one of the French group of prospectors who searched in the late 1850's?

But there was no strong evidence or smoking gun to tracing the identity of this alleged custard. So I changed tack and Looked a Census record in Texas looking for the name Custard. I looked at the following dates 1920, 1910, 1900, 1890, 1880 and 1870 Census records found a few living in Texas most listed as Farmers perhaps no surprise there. But the magic question remained are any of them connected to Ruggles or even Dobie in Some way? As of yet that answer eluded me, so no Custard, no pun intended. However there was one Custard I put a question mark on?

So taking some advice from Orobancos comments of various Tayopa names I tried the same principle with the name Custard by looking at a possibly name variation Custart? No luck either, So searched again through the Census again trying see any possibility connection between the two names C B Ruggles and Custard.no luck either.

C B Ruggles was originally from Iowa married in 1910 to Jane Ruggles and had 2 sons called Oren and Gilde. CB Ruggles was Saloon Keeper at the time. In 1920 Census CB Ruggles is registered as a miner in Colorado. His wife was not with him. It seems by 1921 C B Ruggles had the gold lust and went to Mexico. The 1930's are vague as it appears by the 1940,s C B Ruggles has remarried to a woman called Etta and lives in Prima Arizona He is listed as mine Super Intendant.

1910 United States Federal Census C B RUGGLES X.jpg

C B RUGGLES 1920 UNITED STATES FEDRAL CENSUS C B RUGGLES REC ORDED AS A GOLD MINER IN COLARADO X.jpg

To be cont...

Corp

Last edited:
HI again

There is no evidence of a link between C B Ruggles and the Custards in Texas or any other place such as New Mexico. Where Ruggles was a saloon keeper in 1910. End of story? Perhaps but and old adage my boss hones in on me always... is keep looking as some times it pays off.

So we needed to look at little deeper into the Life of Dobie. Perhaps he had somehow acquired the Deterreo from a Custard in Texas?

James Frank Dobie was born on a Texas ranch, in Lived in Oak County, on September 26, 1888, the eldest of the six children of Richard Jonathan and Ella (Byler) Dobie. Heir to the old Texas traditions of a family long established on the range (his great-grandfather had come to Texas from Virginia in 1834), the boy lived on the family ranch of about seven thousand acres until his sixteenth year. Dobie tells the story of his childhood in "St. Nicholas" magazine, October 1933.
His mother, who had been a teacher, gave him his first lessons -- it was his parents, he said, who gave him his taste for literature; and it was the range country which taught him much besides

-- "The land on which I was reared and the brush growing on the land taught me more than shoolteachers have ever taught." For a time, with his brothers and sisters he went to the one-teacher schoolhouse built by several ranch families, and he had his share of chores to do. After going to high school in the town of Alice, forty miles away, he attended South Western University in Georgetown, Texas, where he received his B.A. degree in 1910. One summer before his graduation young Dobie studied at the University of Chicago, although he was drawn back to the ranch nearly every vacation. For one year (1910-11) Dobie was school principal in the Texas town of Alpine, after which he returned to South western University as teacher of English and secretary to the president. During the summer of 1914 he worked on the Galveston "Tribune" as reporter, work he had done for one summer four years earlier on the San Antonio "Express".

In 1914 Dobie received his M.A. at Columbia University and that year he joined the faculty of the University of Texas, where, except for a few absences, he has remained. During the First World War he served as a first lieutenant in the 116th Field Artillery and upon his return from France in 1919 he resumed his teaching career at the university. But after a year Dobie became dissatisfied with academic life and turned to his "earliest love", cattle raising. Accordingly, for the year 1920-21 he managed his uncle's quarter-of-a-million-acre ranch on the Nueces River. There he conceived the idea to which he has since devoted his life -- to collect and retell the legends and folk tales of Texas.

In 1921 Dobie was back at the university, where he taught for two years before becoming head of the English department at Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College. He held that position until 1925, when he returned to the University of Texas as adjunct professor of English. A year later Dobie became an associate professor and in 1933 a full professor, the first native Texan to receive a full professorship in the university's English department. This was also unusual in that Dobie did not have a Ph.D. -- of which he says: "I early learned that a Ph.D. thesis consists of transferring bones from one graveyard to another."

During 1930-31 he held a research fellowship in the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Foundation and another in 1934-35. In the intervening time (1932-33), on a grant from the Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, he travelled two thousand miles on mule back gathering folklore. Much of his research has been done around camp fires, at trading posts, and in chuck wagons.
It appears the book Coronado's Children was written in 1930 and Apache gold and Yaqui silver was written in 1939. He and published the story a good 18 years after C B Ruggles officially crossed over the Border in 1921 into Mexico. We have evidence that C B Ruggles was a mine Superintendent in 1940. So it appears he never profited from any alleged discovery of Tayopa.

1940 United States Federal Census C B RUGGLES MINE SUPER INTENDANT X.jpg

There is no evidence to support a direct link between an Custard and CB Ruggles? However Dobie may have contributed information that led Ruggles to search for Tayopa in 1921? During the summer of 1914 he worked on the Galveston "Tribune" as reporter. He may have met a William Custard?

WILLIAM CUSTARD 1910 United States Federal Census Record for William Custard x.jpg

To be continued ...

Corp

Last edited:
Gee Don Jose i hope you have not been flooded out by that hurricane?

Continuing about Dobie....

William Custard was a confederate soldier in the Civil war. He war records still survive. He was never captured or interned. I have details of his service records. It is quite possible he was one of the many confederates that fled into Mexico after the Civil war.? Records show by the 1880 Census he had married and was engaged in farming. By the 1900 Census he was a Butcher in a small town in Texas by 1910 he was not working. In 1917 he applied for a Confederate soldier pension but died in 1918 before in was officially granted. His wife continued to claim.

There is a few years between the end of the Civil war and 1870 where we are not sure where this William Custard was? It is possible he was involved in the conflict in Mexico around the time Maximilian got Overthrown. Somewhere in Mexico William Custard obtained a version of the Tayopa directions and map. This, I suspect this information was given by William Custard to Dobie at one time when he worked as a reporter early 1914 before the First world war. The Tayopa map and directions was eventually passed through to C B Ruggles after world war 1 in 1920. As Dobie had been in France in the war had no way of doing anything with the information given. And Even if he could, Mexico was in the Middle of its own Civil War from 1910 to about 1920.

Dobie wrote himself into the adventure years later in 1939. C B Ruggles and William Custard never made any profit for having the Documents regarding the directions to Tayopa. History and various circumstances prevented it. Dobies brought the story to the world through his book. Dobie gave little mention of the Custard family perhaps to protect the Custard family identity from would be treasure hunters. Thus the version we read today from Dobie. It interesting note that Doble in his tale he alludes to confederates? It this a veiled way of stating where he obtained the Tayopa information?

This research may seem like a little all about nothing but it is important to try to get close to the events in the story as possible. It helps me to build a picture of what parishes to search for the old documents and locate other archive and records that may pertain to Tayopa. My brief from my boss was see what I could find through various records and archives at my disposal.

Anyway I hope it gives a greater insight into Dobie, Ruggles and Custards part in the history of the search for Tayopa. And perhaps help establish the provenance of the alleged Tayopa directions.

U.S Confederate Pensions 1884-1958 Record for Mrs Mary M Custard X.jpg

William Custard confederate private X.jpg

U.S., Confederate Pensions, 1884-1958 Record for Wm Custard X.jpg

Corp

Last edited:
And finally tonight

Here is part of an 1860 documents telling the story of Tayopa from an 1860 perspective. But most important of all it tells where the document of the story originated from.

Daily Alta California, Volume 12, Number 217, 6 August 1860 — NOTES ON THE MINERAL WEALTH .jpg

Corp

Hello Again The Same article dated 1860 mentions 2 other locations to take up the search. It might be worth taking note that this information about Tayopa was made public through this newspaper article before the American Civil war? It is not out of the realms of possibility fleeing Confederates came into possession of this information such as William Custard?

Daily Alta California, Volume 12, Number 191, 11 July 1860 — NOTES ON THE MINERAL WEALTH O.jpg

Question is have these documents survived to the 21st century? At least it has narrowed down the search for me with what I might have available. Even so I am under no illusion it will be a hard task as there is an old rule in Archival research the records you want are the ones that's missing.:BangHead:

Corp

G'd Morning Corp, you certainly are earning your coffee luv:

A few points, about 1/3 way into Tayopa, there is a civil war refugee settlement called Bermudes. Many still have the original names De moss etc. I have posted pictures of the settlement before in here. Custard ??

The article that refers to Northern Sonora refers to the present Arizona.

I always wondered where Dobies' map of Tayopa came from. As I have mentioned, it is over 85 % correct.. The way that it is drawn, while accurate, gives on incorrect impression and so every one that used it looked for Tayopa on the Northen end of La Mesa del Campanera, Mesa Obscuro.

Lastly the reference to Tayopa is definitely the La Trinidad, the one mentioned by my friend Orphan Annie. It is slightly north west of Yecora, Tayopa # 2. La Divina Trinidad.

Jose

Last edited:
Corp

First , congratulation for the detailed research . And second :

You wrote " There is a few years between the end of the Civil war and 1870 where we are not sure where this William Custard was? It is possible he was involved in the conflict in Mexico around the time Maximilian got Overthrown. "

What is your opinion about Maximilian gold ? Could had any relation with the Paramo placers ?

Hello Markmar

Maximilian gold is a very lose term and used all to often when describing the looting that went on during power vacuum of the disastrous Maximilian era. In regards to Maximilian giving much coveted mining concessions in Sonora, any mining activity in areas such as Tayopa and other mining areas would of been ad hock at best due to political instability and insurrection. As for it being the source of Maximilian's personal gold no. in 1893 his personal gold cache was recovered in Mexico city and taken by the State.

maximillion treasure otago witness 20 july 1893.jpg

Not say ex Confederates on the run in Mexico did not resort to banditry and looting. Just not Maximillian's personal wealth. However definitely some of his personal gems was looted after his death. Without going in great detail my company was involved in establishing the provenance of the Maximilian diamond the one he used to wear as a pendant around his neck. It trippled the price of the Gem over night. Even now after it was cut down into a modern cut, it is still big enough to choke on.

When we last saw it was in the hands of an exclusive jeweler based in Florida. He only deals with high end Gems with no shopfront. View by appointment and invitation only. Here is picture of it in modern setting now made into Ring.

HIGHTICKET 00007.jpg

HIGHTICKET 00004.jpg

I could go on about over pieces the 5 emeralds the size of pigeon eggs but that would be drifting off topic.

Don Jose

You must be a little pleased as most of what I found has in some ways mirrored What you already understood. The last Newspaper clipping in post number 73, was about claims of mining wealth in Arizona. Its was the location where these Jesuit documents was found that interested me as there is the possibility there could be other documents pertaining to Tayopa in those mentioned archives?

Can I have that Coffee now?

Corp

Last edited:
Hello Don Jose

It is interesting you mention the descendants living today of ex confederate soldier who fled the United States after the fall of the confederacy. There was confederate by the name of George demoss who is recorded below.

Texas, Muster Roll Index Cards, 1838-1900 record for Demoss x.jpg

Perhaps an ancestor of the descendants of confederates in you document? Demoss was a rare name and there is no record of him in the United States after the civil war as yet discovered. Interesting enough I found a John Clark blacksmith also who was in the same Darnells 18th regiment as William Custard and same company. However I must say there was several Clark that could be related to the Clarks on your documents. Some were recorded on Confederate prisoners lists. this john Clark was not. It appears some confederates left the United States for good and others returned a few years after the civil war. Enough to illustrate some Confederates resettled in Mexico at least.

I suspect C B Ruggles met some of these in the early 1920's?

Corp

Last edited:
hello corporate, you research and access to data is really impressive. i hope you make the connection you're looking for. i have to say the documentation you're finding ,dated 1860 and onward , is not the tayopa located inside don jose' mining claim. i'm almost 100% sure they are refering to the tayopa located between guaynopa and huachinera. my information comes from a mining manual published @ 1860 containing an article on tayopa and a visit made by a group of engineers ,in that book the co ordinates to the mine are given. the gist of the article was that the ore was not ammenable to standard metallurigical treatment and that the mine was flooded. i realize you are looking for the dobie connection ,but much of what you're reporting here seems to connect with the later tayopas. that book is in the special collections southwest history in the university of arizona in tucson. the lat and long are also given ,one must make adjustments for magnetic delineation. also i know its off topic but im looking for a mexican mineowner from @ 1860's by the name of roaquerl laran. it would be a minor miracle if you had any suggestions as how to find where he lived in mexico. it would be worth a cup of blue mountain jamacian coffee.

Hello lilorphanannie

Thanks for the compliment. Your absolutely correct in your statements. It is of importance to me as guide in part of a process of elimination in understanding the timeline between the various Tayopas, various name versions and respective parishes. For Don Jose it is perhaps a little bit collaborating evidence on the history of various searches in regards to the various Tayopa's. Dobie and Ruggles have never visited Don Jose's Site as it was the much earlier mining site perhaps abandoned around early. Due to Yaquri uprising around 1640. The fire that fulled that rebellion was the refusal of the Jesuit to allow native medicine men to practice their native religious beliefs in the village settlement that fuel resentment by them of the power shift. the proverbial clash of religious ideology. This as you and Don Jose has rightly understood will be no easy task finding those documents. I have millions of names on Documents at my disposal but not all. It is usually the document I do not have is the ones that I want.:laughing7: Same old story for anybody who researches.

As for the name you mentioned I ran the name roaquerl laran through several data base. I ran the name plus various other possible spelling versions through Mexican Baptisms 1560-1950 which has 43,307,776 names listed. None but that Surname. I even tried the name in reverse nothing. I tried Mexico, Coahuila, Catholic Church Records, 1627-1978 with 98000 names, Mexico death index 1680-1940 with 362000 names. Mexico marriages Index 1640 - 1950. No one ever recorded with that name. So I looked to see if there was information of this person in the United States nothing no one listed over millions of people with that spelling. I looked at various spelling variations as the name might of been Latinised from an Anglo Saxon name? Nothing.

So I looked further afield and found that Laran is Etruscan meaning"God Of war" roaquerl could possibly be a Latinised version of a French name of Rouquayrol. So I searched french archive records. None of that name in Catholic records. France, Quimper et Léon Diocese, Catholic Parish Records, 1772-1910. In France, Protestant Church Records, 1612-1906 and series of names came up. Some mention a marriage of that name in 1854. however nothing conclusive.

There is nothing in the records recorded I have available under that name.

Sadly no Jamaican coffee for me.

Corp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back