Smoogle
Hero Member
- Joined
- Jul 24, 2011
- Messages
- 814
- Reaction score
- 262
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- North Coast NSW.
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
- Primary Interest:
- Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all,
I got a scoop delivered from Ruslan who makes Stavr scoops today - a Krepish V11 (krepish / strong). He recommended it for the majority of fine sand here - tried it out today briefly and I loved it. My first find was a 1964 USA 1c of all things - so I thought it was funny that the Red blockers met the Stars and Stripes for my first find with it. I have had different ideas on the handle and my first attempt is this Rattan Cane length (if it is not Rattan please let me know if you recognize it) - I like it - it floats, is super strong, all natural and extremely light. I screwed it in with a wood screw and it is surprisingly solid. The cane length has been with me since I was young and has it's own story... not for here, not today anyway, I bet there would be heaps of old rattan furniture just begging to be chopped up for handles at your local op shop .....
It flexed a bit on the heavy loads, - the shaft bend in the pic is natural, but all up - I don't think it will rot if I treat it somehow - ideas?
What struck me was the ease of slipping the scoop into the submerged sand and having it clear before I got it back to the surface - ace ace ace huge hole- did not take long either on delivery - thanks Ruslan. I'll keep you posted on the performance of this handle idea.
HH
I got a scoop delivered from Ruslan who makes Stavr scoops today - a Krepish V11 (krepish / strong). He recommended it for the majority of fine sand here - tried it out today briefly and I loved it. My first find was a 1964 USA 1c of all things - so I thought it was funny that the Red blockers met the Stars and Stripes for my first find with it. I have had different ideas on the handle and my first attempt is this Rattan Cane length (if it is not Rattan please let me know if you recognize it) - I like it - it floats, is super strong, all natural and extremely light. I screwed it in with a wood screw and it is surprisingly solid. The cane length has been with me since I was young and has it's own story... not for here, not today anyway, I bet there would be heaps of old rattan furniture just begging to be chopped up for handles at your local op shop .....
It flexed a bit on the heavy loads, - the shaft bend in the pic is natural, but all up - I don't think it will rot if I treat it somehow - ideas?
What struck me was the ease of slipping the scoop into the submerged sand and having it clear before I got it back to the surface - ace ace ace huge hole- did not take long either on delivery - thanks Ruslan. I'll keep you posted on the performance of this handle idea.
HH
Attachments
Upvote
0







