Eastern Ontario burial mounds, medicine wheels, and other mysterious sites

areilla10

Jan 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

I live in Ontario, Canada, and I grew up in North Frontenac County in the Canadian Shield. We're in the middle of nowhere up there. Lots of outdoorsy tourism - hunting, fishing, camping, cottagers, snowmobiling, etc. - and logging, and that's about it. I know of several suspected Native sites in that area, one of which is slowly being wrecked (a probable burial mound, actually) because a snowmobile trail passes ONE FOOT from it. Not even kidding. My parents have what looks like a burial site on their property, about 200 feet from their front door. No one knew it was there. My uncle (a hunter) discovered a grouping of white stones - which did not look like they were from the area - arranged in a circle or wheel. They were obviously not naturally occurring. And finally, on another of his treks in the woods, he found a strange low stone structure, stained with soot. It was almost like a cave or something, but the opening was only a foot or two high, not big enough to sit in. It almost looked like some kind of primitive meat smoker or something.

These have always fascinated me. I'm not interested in digging them up or "treasure hunting" them! I'm more interested in preservation and learning from them. I tried contacting the Cataraqui Archaeological Research Foundation in Kingston, but they did not have much information for me on how to preserve such sites - the one beside the snowmobile trail in particular. They are now defunct, and I don't know of any other organizations in the area that could help. I'd just like to maybe point these places out to Archaeology departments at universities that focus on Native American history. Anybody have any tips or comments about this?

I don't have photos of these, but I'll maybe try to get some when the weather warms up. I'll see if my uncle still has the photos of the stone circle and stone "smoke house".

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a very interesting area. We would all love to see some pictures if that is possible. The low place with the soot on the ceiling may have actually had a higher ceiling at one time. It could have filled in with dirt and debris.

Last edited:

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a very interesting area. We would all love to see some pictures if that is possible. The low place with the soot on the ceiling may have actually have had a higher ceiling at one time. It could have filled in with dirt and debris.

Agree it may have been a rock shelter. One was found here in Idaho. Excavated in the 70's, two bodies (burials) and all kinds of stone tools/points.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Kingston for over 10 years and kind of consider it home now. Would like to go back someday. An incredible place with so much to see and do and most certainly a pile of history around there.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the woods and hiking around exploring and found some very interesting features in the area. I've read about a few mounds and other interesting sites in the area.

Not much to do in terms of preservation with the exception of keeping people off of them.

Good luck finding any archaeological support. Ontario has become a joke in terms of archaeology. Back in the day archaeologists were employed by the government...receiving grants and performing surveys and digs for the greater good. To educate people and learn about our history. Sadly archaeology in Ontario, and I suspect many other locations has become big business. The vast majority of archaeology is done by consulting companies. There was a bit of a boom maybe 20 years back where everything went this way. These consulting companies are more than happy to do digs but is on someone else's dime. Build a house, put in roads, build a subdivision, and it's mandatory that a survey and possible excavation is completed at the owners cost. This often impacts big businesses who have timelines and every day the project is held up it can cost a pile of money. In a lot of cases it pays more for these consulting companies to find nothing. Food for thought.

Hi all!

I live in Ontario, Canada, and I grew up in North Frontenac County in the Canadian Shield. We're in the middle of nowhere up there. Lots of outdoorsy tourism - hunting, fishing, camping, cottagers, snowmobiling, etc. - and logging, and that's about it. I know of several suspected Native sites in that area, one of which is slowly being wrecked (a probable burial mound, actually) because a snowmobile trail passes ONE FOOT from it. Not even kidding. My parents have what looks like a burial site on their property, about 200 feet from their front door. No one knew it was there. My uncle (a hunter) discovered a grouping of white stones - which did not look like they were from the area - arranged in a circle or wheel. They were obviously not naturally occurring. And finally, on another of his treks in the woods, he found a strange low stone structure, stained with soot. It was almost like a cave or something, but the opening was only a foot or two high, not big enough to sit in. It almost looked like some kind of primitive meat smoker or something.

These have always fascinated me. I'm not interested in digging them up or "treasure hunting" them! I'm more interested in preservation and learning from them. I tried contacting the Cataraqui Archaeological Research Foundation in Kingston, but they did not have much information for me on how to preserve such sites - the one beside the snowmobile trail in particular. They are now defunct, and I don't know of any other organizations in the area that could help. I'd just like to maybe point these places out to Archaeology departments at universities that focus on Native American history. Anybody have any tips or comments about this?

I don't have photos of these, but I'll maybe try to get some when the weather warms up. I'll see if my uncle still has the photos of the stone circle and stone "smoke house".

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cottage Country! If summer falls on a weekend, have a BBQ! (I used to go to Belleville & Kingston a lot on business, beautiful area but you all weren't blessed with long, warm summers.)

The easiest way to help protect the mound from traffic might be to drag some logs/brush over and divert the traffic a few feet away (if that can be done safely.)

The little space with soot on the roof very well could be a rock shelter. I've seen several where a big person couldn't lay down comfortably, and couldn't sit up at all. In a pinch, a small space like that can keep you dry and if you have a candle or a bit of fat and a wick, you could keep it above freezing even when it's -30 outside.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want the area preserved, ID it to a local First Nations band. They may claim the spot as historical native land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread