What's new

eBay find. :-)

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Saw this browsing eBay, it was being sold as a mini axe. I knew better.

I’ve never found one, I have wanted one for some time, they are hard to find so here it is.

a tie on atl atl weight.

6B34A684-CF00-49FD-8C0D-645DBF5C4443.webp 8D4188A5-FE17-4E7C-B5CF-43A634B99BDF.webp
8BD49068-251C-4D47-8B13-21DB0835819C.webp

Anyone else have have one or some?
 
Upvote 0
I am tending towards labeling this Museum find as a 'net weight'....but after reading this post.... could it have been a atl atl weight?

weight1.webp

weight2.webp
 
They look polished to me and nicely shaped just like atlatl weights I have seen. They lack a groove but as the literature above states only the first ones were grooved. They all sit like the last pic and found in close proxitimity along with fairly nice artifacts. With that said I respect your opinion south fork and understand from your vantage point they just look like rocks.


View attachment 1587651

View attachment 1587652

View attachment 1587653

View attachment 1587673

Jamus, I agree with others that those are unlikely to be atlatl weights, and for the reasons provided, including size. But, to answer your question, my illustrations came from this book, which I have recommended many times, because it illustrates crude, but common, finds, the kind of things that collectors can find that don't get much play in most other artifact books:

https://www.amazon.com/Artifacts-pr...is-Brennan/dp/0811701743?tag=treasurenet01-20
 
Jamus, I agree with others that those are unlikely to be atlatl weights, and for the reasons provided, including size. But, to answer your question, my illustrations came from this book, which I have recommended many times, because it illustrates crude, but common, finds, the kind of things that collectors can find that don't get much play in most other artifact books:

https://www.amazon.com/Artifacts-pr...is-Brennan/dp/0811701743?tag=treasurenet01-20

Thanks for the illustration Charl I'll check it out. To be constructive bannerstones are of the same size. Obviously I don't know exactly what they are but I find them in abundance. Here are some pics of how this material looks pecked. The sides are ground down and polished and bottoms and some sides are pecked. The last pick clearly illustrates ground down polished side with a neatly clearly pecked out bottom. I personally believe that the pics clearly illustrate workmanship.





20180508_094020.webp

20180508_093927.webp
20180507_164720.webp15257989499061138376439.webp
 

Attachments

  • 20180508_094029.webp
    20180508_094029.webp
    216.3 KB · Views: 71
They may not be as good any more, but they still work fine.

I called you out a couple times and probably deserve any negative comments you have towards me.
 
I've never seen atlatl weights that big and heavy.

I don't think them are any type of atlatl weight.

Thanks for your input Quito. I figured I'd throw them out there nobody else took a stab. I have seen some atlatl weights the same shape not sure of the size. I do believe the pics show some obvious signs of workmanship.
 
Jamus, I agree with others that those are unlikely to be atlatl weights, and for the reasons provided, including size. But, to answer your question, my illustrations came from this book, which I have recommended many times, because it illustrates crude, but common, finds, the kind of things that collectors can find that don't get much play in most other artifact books:

https://www.amazon.com/Artifacts-pr...is-Brennan/dp/0811701743?tag=treasurenet01-20

Charl take a look at this it resembles a bow tie bannerstone. It is not drilled but it does have an area in the middle that clearly looks like it may have been ready to drill and if drilled would fit the bill as a bow tie bannerstone and it is larger then what I have shown as what may not be atlatl weights. I am trying to be constructive not at all sparring with you.

20180508_120817.webp
20180508_122027.webp
 
Charl take a look at this it resembles a bow tie bannerstone. It is not drilled but it does have an area in the middle that clearly looks like it may have been ready to drill and if drilled would fit the bill as a bow tie bannerstone and it is larger then what I have shown as what may not be atlatl weights. I am trying to be constructive not at all sparring with you.

View attachment 1587929
View attachment 1587930

I'm not sure. In the first photo, it has the right shape for a wing bannerstone. I don't know if it's natural, or ground up to that point. It would have had to be narrowed at the one end or wing. Guess I really can't make the call from here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom