What's new

eBay find. :-)

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Saw this browsing eBay, it was being sold as a mini axe. I knew better.

I’ve never found one, I have wanted one for some time, they are hard to find so here it is.

a tie on atl atl weight.

6B34A684-CF00-49FD-8C0D-645DBF5C4443.webp 8D4188A5-FE17-4E7C-B5CF-43A634B99BDF.webp
8BD49068-251C-4D47-8B13-21DB0835819C.webp

Anyone else have have one or some?
 
Upvote 0
That's a really nice piece! Did you get a good deal on it? I don't have anything like that!
 
That's a cool piece. What's the best technical term on it? I never found anything like it.
 
That's a really nice piece! Did you get a good deal on it? I don't have anything like that!

Thanks Choo!

I am very happy with what I gave for it.
 
That's a cool piece. What's the best technical term on it? I never found anything like it.

Technical term?

Its a counter weight for a throwing stick called an atl atl.
 
nice! i love slingin darts with mine.
 
How deep does that crack go? Its worth more than a ax. Nice find on it.
 
That is nice! Do you know where it was found?

I did buy one myself, back in the 90's, and unlike yourself, quito, I did not know what it was at the time, but bought it because it was a local piece. I believe it's slate...

IMG_0555.webp

IMG_0559.webp

IMG_0558.webp

In New England, the earliest atlatl weights are the tie-on weights, and they are Early Archaic. They are called bowtie atlatl weights, from their shape. I have a few crude examples from an Early Archaic site. This rudimentary bowtie is nothing but a conveniently shaped piece of shale, notched at the base, thinning on the opposite side, with one wing damaged. Yet I love it, because it is what it is, they are hard to find, and beggars can't be choosers.

IMG_0561.webp

IMG_0553.webp

IMG_0562.webp

IMG_0563.webp
 
Good post charl! Excellent information!

this piece is from Utah.

hopefully now that I bought one, I’ll be finding one.
 
I am curious if that piece is flat on one side? Nice pickup.
 
Very cool, they are a scarce item. You would think as long as they were used more would be found.
 
Very cool, they are a scarce item. You would think as long as they were used more would be found.

I have a feeling many are over looked by artifact hunters, since they don’t fit the typical form of something usually sought after. And often, any groove is full of dirt if in the field.
And then like this piece, being offered as a mini axe??? Some just don’t know what they have.
 
I have a feeling many are over looked by artifact hunters, since they don’t fit the typical form of something usually sought after. And often, any groove is full of dirt if in the field.
And then like this piece, being offered as a mini axe??? Some just don’t know what they have.

I agree as I have some items that I have no idea what they are but brought them home anyways. Often we say its a knife when it could be an atlatl dart. I am ready to jump into a few rock shelter digs.
 
How deep does that crack go? Its worth more than a ax. Nice find on it.

The crack is not deep or a concern. The piece is very sound.

Depends on the ax.
 
That is nice! Do you know where it was found?

I did buy one myself, back in the 90's, and unlike yourself, quito, I did not know what it was at the time, but bought it because it was a local piece. I believe it's slate...

View attachment 1586112

View attachment 1586113

View attachment 1586114

In New England, the earliest atlatl weights are the tie-on weights, and they are Early Archaic. They are called bowtie atlatl weights, from their shape. I have a few crude examples from an Early Archaic site. This rudimentary bowtie is nothing but a conveniently shaped piece of shale, notched at the base, thinning on the opposite side, with one wing damaged. Yet I love it, because it is what it is, they are hard to find, and beggars can't be choosers.

View attachment 1586116

View attachment 1586117

View attachment 1586118

View attachment 1586120

Man Charl you have a lot of info. I am really curious as to where the illustrations came from. I find atlatl weights big and small. I usually only look for obvious workmanship but I found a piece of quartz that looked like it could of been used as an atlatl weight that matches the look of the one in the illustration from the east. I find a lot of worked quartz at this site from hammerstones, pestles discoidals. Here is a pic of the quartz piece that fits the description.

15257104544611765568540.webp

1525710548921307105570.webp

Also nice ebay find Quito.

Here are some pics of what could be atlatl counter weights a little creek worn.

The bottoms slightly rounded so the ends are elevated.
1525711423293916076282.webp
1525711565573684534814.webp
15257116379211993693483.webp
1525711717091940897683.webp
15257119628331038791037.webp
15257120064651152347395.webp
15257120855141778832943.webp

The first one has a string line groove along the keel. It's shallow and not the most visible. The second 2 are pecked out on the bottom somewhat hollowed and well polished. These are just a few that I have found.

They are not the best examples and I'm just throwing them out there.
 

Attachments

  • 15257108164921541979416.webp
    15257108164921541979416.webp
    96 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Man Charl you have a lot of info. I am really curious as to where the illustrations came from. I find atlatl weights big and small. I usually only look for obvious workmanship but I found a piece of quartz that looked like it could of been used as an atlatl weight that matches the look of the one in the illustration from the east. I find a lot of worked quartz at this site from hammerstones, pestles discoidals. Here is a pic of the quartz piece that fits the description.

View attachment 1587529

View attachment 1587531

Also nice ebay find Quito.

Here are some pics of what could be atlatl counter weights a little creek worn.

The bottoms slightly rounded so the ends are elevated.
View attachment 1587536
View attachment 1587537
View attachment 1587538
View attachment 1587539
View attachment 1587540
View attachment 1587541
View attachment 1587542

The first one has a string line groove along the keel. It's shallow and not the most visible. The second 2 are pecked out on the bottom somewhat hollowed and well polished. These are just a few that I have found.

They are not the best examples and I'm just throwing them out there.
I know my eyes are not as good as they once were but I'm seeing rocks.
 
They look polished to me and nicely shaped just like atlatl weights I have seen. They lack a groove but as the literature above states only the first ones were grooved. They all sit like the last pic and found in close proxitimity along with fairly nice artifacts. With that said I respect your opinion south fork and understand from your vantage point they just look like rocks.


20180507_164337.webp

20180507_164343.webp

20180507_164429.webp

20180507_163351.webp
 
I've never seen atlatl weights that big and heavy.

I don't think them are any type of atlatl weight.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom