Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Spooky said:
alexfm123 said:
GL,

Whats the 180 chambered in? Isn't it a .308? I dont have any yet, but whenever I get the cash, Im planning on getting several. Im looking to get a GI style .45, and an HK G3 in .308 to go with it. ;D

I dont particulary like AR's. Something about them kinda bothers me. Im not too sure what it is, though.

Oh well.

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Alex.

The AR180 rifles are chambered in .223, and mine was actually more reliable than my bushmaster AR when firing a lot. I think this was due to the "dirty" gas system of the ARs, which basically blows gas and carbon into the action..
They are substantially cheaper than a AR style rifle.

http://www.cruffler.com/review-January-02.html

I love them.
I'm surprised a guy with the avitar pic you have dosn't mention the FN FAL. I have several including a clone of a Rhodesian R1 complete with baby poop camo paint... The adjustable gas system is something all gas operated rifles should have in my humble opinion and call me old school, but I prefer my rifles to be made of forged steel not stamped tin like the G3 & AK types. In a .223 I suppose the heavy FAL design wouldn't be practical although Imbel in Brazil did make a .223 version. My mistake & shame on me for not reading the whole thread before posting. I see now your comment about the FAL clone posted by gunny. I got interested in them back in the "good old days" a few years ago when complete parts kits minus the reciever could be had for $100-$200 in many different varieties and excellent quality recievers could be had cheap as well. At one point I had 11 different versions including the Israeli heavy barrel, Rhodesian R1, Imbel, German G1, etc. I even had one of a handfull of Belgian made folding stock "para" models that was South African military surplus and had the original "baby poop" camo paint still intact. If I remember correctly there were 25 "parts kits" brought into the US. Also had a Russian AK47 parts kit that was from a batch of rifles the Israelis captured from the PLO complete with capture papers.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Spooky what I did to replicate the proper camo colors was take some handguards that came with a parts kit which had alot of original paint remaining and have it scanned. Being in the automotive field I knew that body shop/ paint supply stores commonly have a gizmo that can scan the pigments in a painted part and come up with the formula to mix paint that matches perfectly. In this case it even has the proper amount of "flat" finish like the original R1 rifles. For quite a few years I was the guy on the Falfiles website that sold the "baby poop" camo paint in the 2 colors they commonly used. Here is a pic of the ultra rare "para" parts kit and a few other bits from other rifles. The painted wood handguards are from an Australian L1A1 that got the camo treatment. Those are now in New Zealand in the collection of one of the worlds foremost FAL experts.

Attachments

• r1_original_camo_stuff.jpg
    r1_original_camo_stuff.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 4,716

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread