🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Extra Large with the works - 2010 wrap up

BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
I bet you've dug a pile of harmonica reeds though. It seems like there was one year it changed. If your sites date before that year you get harps, and after, reeds. I might have dug maybe a couple small pieces of harmonica, but 6 jews harps, and at least 4 or 5 more pieces or harp. But you know I'd trade em all to see jabs into the other side of his face. ;D

You're exactly right. And it seems that year was between 1800 and 1820. Only two brass harps found in KY and Southern Indiana by the Iron Brigade, and one or two iron ones--out of hundreds and hundreds of different sites over five years of digging by multiple hunters. I'm sure they're out there, but it tells me that the popularity of harmonicas had already arisen by the time Kentucky was settled--and the few, rare Jews Harps we've found were leftovers that folks brought with them (same thing with the large "Dandy" buttons, which are almost as scarce in Southern Indiana).

In terms of finds, those are excellent, IP! That cannonball is the icing on the cake. What's its weight?

Even here the the flat buttons don't turn up everywhere and are usually good sign it's an old site.

The ball is 10lbs. There are a couple of lines in it and I believe cleaning might reveal the rest of a broad arrow.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep another good year for you Ip. :thumbsup: I was just sitting here wondering how in the world does he and alot of the guy's up North of me find so many button's. :icon_scratch: Then it hit me our(southern) other finds seem to be close in comparison other than your cannon balls items.My theory on the button count though is that it being colder up there meaning they wore more clothes so more buttons to be loss.Sounds good anyway. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Timekiller said:
Yep another good year for you Ip. :thumbsup: I was just sitting here wondering how in the world does he and alot of the guy's up North of me find so many button's. :icon_scratch: Then it hit me our(southern) other finds seem to be close in comparison other than your cannon balls items.My theory on the button count though is that it being colder up there meaning they wore more clothes so more buttons to be loss.Sounds good anyway. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete

I only dug 90 buttons this year. Very good point, Pete! It looks like he dug around 600. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Kirk

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
Timekiller said:
Take Care,
Pete

I only dug 90 buttons this year. Very good point, Pete! It looks like he dug around 600. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Kirk

Think my total was somewhere between 450-500. Remember we find quite a few new sites per year, and just a so so hunt can produce over 10 buttons. I've had two years that i dug about 1,000.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is quite a load of finds.
I guess the half round in the box is not a coin ?
Some super coins there. I like the eagle token too.

Funny how we want to find what we don't have yet, as mentioned the jews harp, with me it's just a skeleton key.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
That is quite a load of finds.
I guess the half round in the box is not a coin ?
Some super coins there. I like the eagle token too.

Funny how we want to find what we don't have yet, as mentioned the jews harp, with me it's just a skeleton key.

There was many common things that avoided my coil for years. A skeleton key was one, and a silver thimble another.

It is, cut piece of a One Penny.

Attachments

• cut_copper.jpg
    cut_copper.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,257
  • cut_copper.jpg
    cut_copper.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,262

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a LOT of digging. Lots of nice relics, buttons, and coins. All in all a great year, one that I would love to have. I must say though that I am a little disappointed that it appears you just throw everything in a box. I firmly believe we should keep relics from important sites segregated.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA said:
That is a LOT of digging. Lots of nice relics, buttons, and coins. All in all a great year, one that I would love to have. I must say though that I am a little disappointed that it appears you just throw everything in a box. I firmly believe we should keep relics from important sites segregated.

Maybe if I had important sites. I know where all my better finds are from and that's really the only thing that counts for me. Most of that was from older house sites that didn't give up anything special, just the usual old targets.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

Quantity and quality...... I expect nothing less :notworthy: Your research skills are well honed and you know how to dig the good stuff :icon_thumleft:

VPR

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Oh yeah I forgot to ask who won the war? The dirtyville boys or the PA boys?

I hope to someday dig atleast one of those jews harp. Seem's I ought to have one by now, guess I just havent got my coil over one yet.

The PA boys surrendered even before Ironhorse got in his first hunt. True! :laughing7:

We won, mainer. :laughing7: IP knows it as well. :laughing7: Rare CTs, rare 18th century copper pipe, rare General Lafayette wax seal, rare 1844 James K. Polk political medal, 1773 VA copper, Pistareen, and a ton of early relics.

PA boys for 2011! :headbang:

Kirk :hello:

You can't win when you quit. Maybe a lesson for 2011! :laughing7:

that's it ! next season I'm only digging rare things,,,enough of this digging dozens of targets and wearing myself out....

I'm going to take a page from the PA playbook...except I'm going to hold the trophy high instead of the passion,
good luck in 2011, see you here among the winners!!! :laughing7:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those finds would be a great year for the vast majority without a doubt, considering you do not get on average as many hunts in as most do you had a outstanding variety of finds. I see some goodies in there that I have not found in a few years and a cannon ball would be nice, but doubt I will stumble upon one where I hunt. May 2011 hold a few surprise relics for you!

Don

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

You had a great year, IP. Lots of quality coins and buttons. You can't ask for any better.

I don't want to hear anymore of this 2001 stuff. :laughing9: 2011 is going to be your best year yet.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kyle PA said:
You had a great year, IP. Lots of quality coins and buttons. You can't ask for any better.

I don't want to hear anymore of this 2001 stuff. :laughing9: 2011 is going to be your best year yet.

Well it's the 10th anniversary of 2001! :tongue3: so of course. ;D

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Iron Patch said:
Kyle PA said:

Well it's the 10th anniversary of 2001! :tongue3: so of course. ;D

I guess my 2010 is like your 2001, as it was my best year so far.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

i still wanna order a pizza from that place! super year IP!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kyle PA said:

I no doubt hunted a bit more that year, but the difference then was the quality of the sites, and being pretty lucky! In the big picture 2010 falls somewhere in the middle... but it was the best year in a long time for getting out there.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Iron Patch said:
Kyle PA said:

I no doubt hunted a bit more that year, but the difference then was the quality of the sites, and being pretty lucky! In the big picture 2010 falls somewhere in the middle... but it was the best year in a long time for getting out there.

No matter what I find during a season, I always feel that we haven't found our best site yet. It keeps you going and going during the year, making you strive to find that "WOW" site.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kyle PA said:
Iron Patch said:
Kyle PA said:

I don't think you have either, and like to think the same goes for us. But IH and I can certainly do a hell of a top 10. We've had so many good ones 5 would probably be no-brainer picks, but the other 5 not so easy to decide.
No matter what I find during a season, I always feel that we haven't found our best site yet. It keeps you going and going during the year, making you strive to find that "WOW" site.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007

You had a great year by anyones standards...Old silver..Military buttons...Cannon ball....And an insane amount of buttons...I only found about 15 buttons this year...And i dug alot of targets...Awesome stuff there Ironpatch :icon_thumleft:

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Nice old finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread