What's new

Eyeballed a Gold Ring on Top of a Gopher Mound !

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
5,675
Golden Thread
2
Location
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the past I've eyeballed silver dimes and clad coins on the top of gopher mounds, but today was a first! Sitting right on top of dirt of a gopher mound was laying a gold
ring! I snapped a picture of it laying there! It looks to be 14K, the marking appears to be worn off. Also dug up a 1940 merc, a silver war nickel dated 1943-S, and 12 wheat cents. My clad today was almost $8.00. I tested the gold ring under my coil and the meter gave a foil reading. This parks had a thousand foil readings, so I never would had dug it! I hunted two parks today and have done well in both. I'll have to return!
 

Attachments

  • gold ring 001.webp
    gold ring 001.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 253
  • gold ring 002.webp
    gold ring 002.webp
    100.6 KB · Views: 256
  • gold ring 003.webp
    gold ring 003.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 232
  • gold ring 004.webp
    gold ring 004.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 235
  • gold ring 002.webp
    gold ring 002.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 228
  • gold ring 003.webp
    gold ring 003.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 233
  • gold ring 004.webp
    gold ring 004.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 243
  • gold ring 005.webp
    gold ring 005.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 242
  • gold ring 006.webp
    gold ring 006.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 231
  • gold ring 007.webp
    gold ring 007.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 244
  • gold ring 008.webp
    gold ring 008.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 100
What an eyeball find!

what that ugly thing weigh? Very cool =)
 
Does the gopher get half of the take when you sell it? Seems fair to me!
 
:hello2: Congrats on a super day! :hello2:

Maybe now I'll get my nerve up to dig among the numerous ground-squirrel holes near our beaches here - though I'll wear a dust mask when I do that, lol. Andi
 
Wow gold ring, Its tempting to transplant some prairie dogs to some good spots around here. Better bring him or her a treat! Love those little critters!
 
Hmmm that's weird...
Just saw in the paper...

"RABID BANDIT GOPHER STEALS JEWELRY"
"Gopher has stolen over 100 gold rings and hid them somewhere".
 
Last edited:
Go Go Gopher Gold!
 
a bucktooth varmit that moves jewelry is a weird & unexpected way to cash in ..... ??? gopher , that's sick !!!
Leave it a carrot or a slice of pizza orr whatever they eat and see if the little :censored: kicks up another gold ring . 8-)
 
Last edited:
Looks like I'm headed out to the field to check out the groundhog's digs.
 
That funny, I always check there openings and mounds of dirt thinking of that very thing.
Great hunt! GOLD!
 
I'd take the gopher with you, & let him do all your digging !
 
Congrats! Nothing like a little help from the locals. Just hope he didn't leave it out there as payment for a UPS delivery or something. :)
 
What a way to get some gold. One less pull tab signal to chase.. Sweet finds
 
I knew you had a mole working for you on the inside. You just find way too much cool stuff....congrats on a very nice ring with a super story! Sub8-)
 
That's pretty incredible, but those things do happen. My first colonial trash pit was actually brought to my attention by a groundhog. In the tailings around his hole there were loads of colonial ceramics and glass that he had pulled out from the depths, not to mention 2 or 3 complete 1600s clay pipe bowls. And many more great finds followed once I dug the pit out. That put me in pit digging mode, and I've never been the same since :laughing7:. Great find!!
 
Very cool, gold sniffing gophers! , I gotta get me some of them
 
Cool find, thanks for sharing that!
I've heard also, that ants will pull out the precious or semi-precious stones (usually peridot), when they are making their mounds and deposit them outside the mound.
I know crows can be trained, don't know about gophers, though. :icon_scratch:
 
found a 1918-s merc on top of a gopher mound in my aunt's yard once, but a gold ring... it don't get much better than that. I still hate gophers though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom