What's new

fair asking price for old silver coins

phrostie

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
534
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nap Town
What's a fair asking price for old silver coins? I found a guy on craigslist who is selling them at a 'decent offer.' Should I offer spot price??

In the lot there are 11 dimes (1906, 1913, 1911, 1935, 1916, 1920, 1897, 1937, 1945, 1929 , 1941) and 4 quarters (1959, 1943, 1937, 1932).
 
Upvote 0
dandow20 said:
What's a fair asking price for old silver coins?
I may seem cheap (I am in this to make some extra money) but lately I start with 5 times face value and then only go to 6 if I have to. I have paid as low as 2 times face. Remember you have overhead. I have a business license (just got the bill yesterday) car expenses and my time. I love my part time job. :thumbsup:
 
Considering where silver is at
I'd say Spot.
another year or so down the line you will probably Double your investment
& Not come of as trying to make money off him.
 
cyberdan said:
dandow20 said:
What's a fair asking price for old silver coins?
I may seem cheap (I am in this to make some extra money) but lately I start with 5 times face value and then only go to 6 if I have to. I have paid as low as 2 times face. Remember you have overhead. I have a business license (just got the bill yesterday) car expenses and my time. I love my part time job. :thumbsup:
I meet many folks in my line of work, and sometimes during small talk bring up this hobby. Sometimes they will bring out the silver for show, or "what's it worth?"
I always offer 10 X face if it's something I'm interested in. It's always nope, no thanks, as if I'm taking advantage or something, LOL!
 
I think it depends on what you are going to be doing with the coins. Are you going to put them in your silver pile (8.5 - 9.5 x FV) or are you going to put them in your book and start a collection (9.5 - 11 x FV or more depending on the condition. One thing I recommend is not to offer a price until you see the coins. I find that most people think you are low balling them when you offer spot sight unseen. They feel that their coins are worth more because they are older and they don't realize how many were made.

Best of luck
65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom