Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the old turn of the century looking place that is on its last leg. I started ripping out more wood to hopefully find some hidden treasures. I had two funny things happen to me there.
1) I was inside doing my thing, and I hear someone walking through the woods towards the house. I look up and see a well dressed elderly gentleman outside taking pictures of the old house. He didn't see me inside I guess. I yelled "hello" to him, and I must have scared the cr-p out of him, because he turned around and hightailed it out of there. He probably thought I was a bum living inside. ;D
2) This joke was on me. I was ripping up some floor boards, and popping my head down into the openings looking for hidden caches, when I spotted what looked to be a small old umbrella with a curved handle. I reached in and pulled it out. I just about soiled myself when I discovered it was actually a dried up opossum!!!
I ended up finding two more opossums and a dried rat too. Can I get any $ for these?
In the living room, I peeled back a sheet of linoleum, and ripped up the floor boards.
I discovered an old Clorox bottle (perfect shape), and a broken Coke bottle. This really has me puzzled now, because I found out that this style of Clorox bottle was used between 1951-1962. How could it find its way under the floor boards of a house this old????? Weird.
Anyways, no hidden caches to report today, but I did find a 2nd bottle dump on the property. Some pictures attached of the bits and pieces.
This house is getting too unstable to safely search anymore, so I’ll be concentrating on the barn, and land now.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 662
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 660
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 650
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 653
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 650
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story...poor man thought he was hearing a ghost. :o Mummified possums...hope you left them there. Anyway, neat clorox bottle...that's a keeper. ;D

;) RR

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I helped my dad search an old house when I was a kid and I was under the house and found a dog skeleton looking right at me. WOW I was scared for a second

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Funny story. I've found several old Clorox bottles like that, some have a different shaped handle, though. The wife wonders why I keep bringing them home. Because they're neat, that's why.

Mike

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
looks like a great place to hunt..... just out of curiosity... what is the town on the bottom of the Coke bottle?

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MartyG said:
looks like a great place to hunt..... just out of curiosity... what is the town on the bottom of the Coke bottle?

Marty,
The town on the bottom is Mobile, Alabama.
-MM-

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Great story MM! Love the pictures and scary stories!! Them places have the potential to yield awesome finds... good luck!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Was the old guy wearing a yellowish coat and a grey cap? I see a guy like that from time to time roaming around the woods taking photos.

He has a stocky build and a skiddish- ness about him.

Be careful around that place. I can see the walls are leaning! ;)

Ridley

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
I think you should go back there and get those possums and put them on ebay... thats the only way to see what they are worth... I got 50 bucks says SOMEONE would bid on them! ;D

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
If you head over into the smokies, I'm sure there's a heck of a market for dead possums. Being jerky, they might even be worth more.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
;D Looks like a great place...Dead rats soon at a restaurant near you. :D

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
LOL I almost peed my pants reading about the dried up possums... I thought that stuff only happened to me.

Nice bottles modernminer, love those bottles, great finds.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny, LOL! Nice post. I have heard of many mini caches found in structures and homes. You might get a few $$ for those dehydrated possums, just add water, don't know about the rats. HH, Mike

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will.Dig.For.Kegs said:
Great story man. Cracked me up. Say, maybe instead of hello, you should have thrown a possum at him.

Laater...
[/quote

Thanks all. You guys have some great ideas. ;D
-MM-

papa

Sep 21, 2006
You see that guy again,sit back and watch,he may have a "stash" hidden there. OR,you could take off running and start yelling, ..... BEAR !! ..... BEAR !! ;D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! Reminds me of last summer when we smelled a stench outside our house and I narrowed it down to the sewer across the street..opened the lid and there was the remains of possom with hundreds of maggots all over it. :o I poured a bag of rock salt down to kill the maggots and neutralize the smell..

The dried ones you came across smelled the same way once..maybe that guy who ran away noticed the smell and thought the killer came back to the scene of the crime! :D Or maybe he came back for the empty bottles to fill 'em up with moonshine!

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread