WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The Beatles - yesterday is my favorite song of all time. By the way guys, who can recommend good radio streaming sites? Actually does anyone still listen to the radio? Personally, I like it but can't find a good radio station. Thanks in advance!

You can find just about everything you want to hear here:

https://www.iheart.com/

Yes, while driving, I have a station set on 60's-70's music and I switch between that and KLOVE. At work it's KLOVE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

Ray Davies wrote this song about the death of his sister.
The Indian Raga influence is evident, and instead of older brother Dave playing guitar, it is Ray on the 12string that carries that riff throughout the song.
It is debatable on whether it was the Kinks or the Beatles who first introduced Indian influences into rock music.

Thanks, ECS,I never heard that one. I went into a rabbit hole looking up Ray Davies and I came across this video explaing the Beattles' song Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown). I found it interesting. The ads embedded are annoying though.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it was. I was in the eight grade, in New Haven Connecticut.

Gosh eighth grade. My eighth grade years were 76/77. There were lots and lots of my favorites from that time. Hard to pick. I remember I got my first albums at that age, Paul McCartney & Wings - Wings At The Speed of Sound and Nazareth - Hair of the Dog.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

The original Kinks version from 1965

Chrissie Hynde 80's New Wave cover with The Pretenders, caught the attention of Kink's Ray Davies who wrote and sang the original. Ray and Chrissie were married for a short tempestuous time.

Ray wrote "ANIMAL" about that time-the lyrics are quite revealing about two string will creative musicians.

*NOTE* Ray and brother Dave were known to get into fistfights on stage during performances.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea, I read that he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I have a couple relatives that have been diagnosed and a few that I believe are/were. They are some hard individuals to get along with at times. My brother was one of them. We avoided him for quite a few years because of his drug use/narcissism/vile temper. He was kicked out of hospitals a couple times because of it. I would be called to pick him up. One time the hospital wouldn't wait for me. LOL They called him a cab. On rare occassions he would come across a nurse that would not take his $#!t and give it right back. Then they would become like the best of friends. People with bipolar disorder are very verbally abusive, and some physical. My brother wasn't diagnosed until about the last year of his life. Anyway, I found this interview with Ray Davies. I had to chuckle when they were talking about his brother and he commented, "We're divorced at the moment."

Here's a video of Celluloid Heroes

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Stephen Stills first song about Judy Collins.
Stills first band was the Continentals in Gainesville, Florida, which included Bernie Leadon who later was a founding member of The Eagles. When Stills quite the band for the greener fields of LA (he auditioned for a member in The Monkees), Don Felder was his replacement changing the band's name to The Maudy Quintet, when that band ended Felder joined Flow that recoded one album. After the band Flow fell apart, Felder joined The Eagles, replacing Leadon.
Don Felder wrote the music for "Hotel California".
Stills went on to form a band with David Crosby and Graham Nash, and an off and on member, Neil Young.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

Stephen Stills first song about Judy Collins.
Stills first band was the Continentals in Gainesville, Florida, which included Bernie Leadon who later was a founding member of The Eagles. When Stills quite the band for the greener fields of LA (he auditioned for a member in The Monkees), Don Felder was his replacement changing the band's name to The Maudy Quintet, when that band ended Felder joined Flow that recoded one album. After the band Flow fell apart, Felder joined The Eagles, replacing Leadon.
Don Felder wrote the music for "Hotel California".
Stills went on to form a band with David Crosby and Graham Nash, and an off and on member, Neil Young.

Neat song. You said “first song about Judy Collins.” Are there more?
There seems to be a lot of bands that started in Florida.
I don’t know if I just didn’t pay attention or just don’t remember. But, it just clicked with your post about Neil Young being a member of the band. I can remember times when they were introduced as Crosby, Stills and Nash, and other times as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I just didn’t know it was Neil Young.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Stills other song about Judy Collins was "Suite Judy Blue Eyes.
During the time Felder was on the Maudy Quintet he also taught guitar at Gainesville's Lipham Music, and one if his students was Tom Petty.
I met Tom in 1969 when my band and his Mudcrutch were double booked at a VFW teen dance in Dunnellon, Florida.
I suggested we splint the door, but he looked at the crowd which was big, but not that BIG for two bands to split the gate, and said "Lets flip a coin". I won the coin toss, Tom said cool, and we shook hands.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Stills other song about Judy Collins was "Suite Judy Blue Eyes.
During the time Felder was on the Maudy Quintet he also taught guitar at Gainesville's Lipham Music, and one if his students was Tom Petty.
I met Tom in 1969 when my band and his Mudcrutch were double booked at a VFW teen dance in Dunnellon, Florida.
I suggested we splint the door, but he looked at the crowd which was big, but not that BIG for two bands to split the gate, and said "Lets flip a coin". I won the coin toss, Tom said cool, and we shook hands.

That's a pretty cool story and memory. My mind has oftened questioned, "Just how many peope has ECS met in his musical career?" Thanks for sharing that one.

I think I have found the original Mudcrutch single "Up In Mississippi Tonight."

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

This is the band that won that coin toss.
Tener Records was the independent label of Bee Jay Recording Studios in Orlando, Florida.

*NOTE* Central Florida's music scene in the '60's was relatively small, and we either knew or knew of whose who in other bands.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As I scan back over this thread, I realize the age difference between myself and most here. I can see that reflected in the music chosen. Yes, I'm 'old school'. Perhaps it's because I have great memories from 'old school' music compared to what has been (mostly) available in the last 20+ years. I don't write this to get into an argument, it's just my opinion. Songs like what I site below help me get through what we all are experiencing today.
Stay safe and healthy,
Don...

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

This is the band that won that coin toss.
Tener Records was the independent label of Bee Jay Recording Studios in Orlando, Florida.

*NOTE* Central Florida's music scene in the '60's was relatively small, and we either knew or knew of whose who in other bands.

I love it! The vocals blend well.

There’s a place not too far from me that my dad said he played. He said there were multiple bands. I try to pick his brain every now and then. His memory is not so good. It was an outside venue. I also wish I had the guts to ask for permission to metal detect there. I think that would be fun.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
As I scan back over this thread, I realize the age difference between myself and most here. I can see that reflected in the music chosen. Yes, I'm 'old school'. Perhaps it's because I have great memories from 'old school' music compared to what has been (mostly) available in the last 20+ years. I don't write this to get into an argument, it's just my opinion. Songs like what I site below help me get through what we all are experiencing today.
Stay safe and healthy,
Don...

Well, Don, my thread would be better titled Favorite Songs You Were Raised On. I want to hear everyone’s. My favorites are all over the years, some prior to the 50’s and all the way through the 80’s. It was in the 90’s that I stopped listening to secular music. I started listening to contemporary Christian, praise, worship, gospel, southern gospel, etc. That thread didn’t do so well. LOL. Plus, I think it might be bordering on the rule violation. I will agree with you about the last 20+ years. I guess that makes me old school, too. Oh there were some stand outs that I heard because of my kids. I like Ronnie Milsap. I was raised on him. Keep posting your favorites, I will listen.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

Two from my Indie label, co-produced by me and Mich Shields.
On "Help Me", I am part of the finger snap chorus.

Thanks for the post, ECS. I like "Help Me" more than "Big Business Jokes." I found a pic.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Both songs received airplay on College Radio during that wildcat power pop new wave era, that last great hurrah of vinyl "indies".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread