OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fk , On your own website under the Dents Run section you clearly state that you were told not pursue this issue and not dig on this site located on public land . TP
Ya , DCNR told us from day 1 no digging but we were OK to drill with a 3/4" masonry drill bit 8' long inside the cave and later on top of the cave down into the back of the cave. We needed to drill the holes so we could place 4' and 8' copper rods for our GPL to scan beyond the walls and back of the cave for metal readings.
We had gold readings from the first week on site .
Had we been allowed to dig we could of done our work in a few months instead of 5 yrs. Had we done any digging we would lose any rights to a finders fee so we did it by their rules. DCNR was on site many times with us and we gave them reports each week. We had a agreement that if we could prove anything of value was located by some major equipment , it would be dug up by DCNR. WE did not want to do any digging because of the water running out of the cave was clean and the bond would be a ***** to do. The cost of getting the equipment on site over privet land and building holding ponds and reclaim the site was not something we wanted to do when DCNR said they would do it. Ya we were told not to talk about the Indian or anything we found inside because DCNR did not want other diggers on site. We had $4,000 of equipment on site year around and many trail cams incase someone removed any of it. DCNR showed us how to drill on top of the cave and how to sharpen our bits. We worked with them for 7 yrs until we drilled and hit gold and that's all I can say for now.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a GPL, good for locating voids or caves but useless for finding gold and silver. Sandstone and quartz both show up on a GPL as Gold. Only good for a null reading on voids and caves. Sorry. This comes from experience. Also if you place the rods inside of a 3/4 inch hole then you would have to drive the rod into the hole so it would touch the stone or dirt. If not the null reading inside the bored hole and the cave would add to anything touched and show up as gold on your meter.

Also by that cave or shelf rock being so low that you could not crawl back in it and had to drill 8 foot holes down into the cave----------how could they carry or get 7 to 9 tons of gold and/or silver back into the back of the cave?

Also, the Indian buried or lying inside the living part of the cave? You said yourself you were not sure it was an Indian but maybe a tree root?

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cave was open back in the 1800's, their was a big dome room with a open shaft were water would fall inside. This dome part of the cave and living area was filled in when a dozer in 1969 fell in this room while building a road over this site. The gold could of been dropped down from the shaft of the dome or moved in from the front of the cave back 45' to dome room.

We had many pictures of the Indian living area and we had a picture of something we could not ID, it looked like meat, fleash, or a tree root. Not sure, but it looked like a human arm but could it survive in that cold area all this time ??? . There was grass or straw under it like bedding . Hay this area was 35' back in another part of the cave and we had to use snake cams to get the pictures of it. Since we were not allowed to dig this was the best we could do. We want to know what was there to. I had hope the FBI would of found something during the dig but they are not talking, YET. I will try to post the picture again.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any historical records that can verify that the gold shipment actually happened?

I can find nothing on Lt. James Castleton, Sgt. Mike O'Rourke, or James Conners? Now Jack Schall that searched for this treasure for years said he had the diary of Lt. James Castleton? Have you seen this diary? The Pinkerton Files have not all been digitized so someone has to go to the National Archives and look for these records. But as far as I know no one has nor have they reported finding anything to substantiate the story.

Also when the story was written even by Jack Schall's diary of Lt. James Castleton, he mentions the names of the towns and creeks as they appear in modern times. Why was the names of the towns or creeks not listed under their given names during the Civil War?

So many unanswered questions to verify this story as being legit? With Lt. Castleton sick why was the wagon or wagons abandoned for horses or pack mules? The simple thing to do would be to keep the wagon for the sick officer and deliver the gold as the orders stated to them.

Also, for that small amount of gold, I would have hidden it around rocks or stumps and covered it over at a location I know I could come back to. There is no way I would lower it into a cavern or cave where anyone could find it easily. This story has all the earmarks of a FAKE-----------a story that was to be sold to treasure magazine for $20 to $50. Sorry if you FK or anyone has wasted their time and money for a fabrication of someone else's mind.

We all want to believe that treasures exist and are out there to find. That is why the legend of the Thomas J. Beale Treasure has continued for over 130 years--------we want to believe there is a treasure even when there may not be. First prove these story real and then give the search everything you have.

Last edited:

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Who knows, maybe the FBI is holding off because they did find something, but it wasn't gold? Aliens? I can tell you this, if there were that many FBI, Military, etc., people there, it's just a matter of time before the truth comes out.

I do hope the OP gets his finders fee if there was gold (treasure) there. Sounds like a lot of research went into finding this spot.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin,
We all want to believe that treasures exist and are out there to find. That is why the legend of the Thomas J. Beale Treasure has continued for over 130 years--------we want to believe there is a treasure even when there may not be. First prove these story real and then give the search everything you have.[/QUOTE]
1,I can find nothing on Lt. James Castleton
Their is Nothing on him that I can find either
2, Sgt. Mike O'Rourke I have little on him

3,or James Conners I have everything on Conners from the day he came to America , were he lived , worked, battles he fought, medical records, death record, and more. ?
4,Now Jack Schall that searched for this treasure for years said he had the diary of Lt. James Castleton? I am good friends with Jack
5, Have you seen this diary?
No

6, The Pinkerton Files have not all been digitized so someone has to go to the National Archives and look for these records.Jack did this and so did our lawyer
7, But as far as I know no one has nor have they reported finding anything to substantiate the story.
Why would we tell what we found, after years of research Jack did and years we spent why give it out for free . No, we knew the real story and it was enough for Jack and us to keep hunting when every one else gave up.

8, Also when the story was written even by Jack Schall's diary of Lt. James Castleton, he mentions the names of the towns and creeks as they appear in modern times. Why was the names of the towns or creeks not listed under their given names during the Civil War? I have no idea

9, So many unanswered questions to verify this story as being legit? With Lt. Castleton sick why was the wagon or wagons abandoned for horses or pack mules? The simple thing to do would be to keep the wagon for the sick officer and deliver the gold as the orders stated to them.
You would have to read the real story to know the answer

10, Also, for that small amount of gold, I would have hidden it around rocks or stumps and covered it over at a location I know I could come back to. There is no way I would lower it into a cavern or cave where anyone could find it easily.
They built walls in the cave , it was hidden.
This story has all the earmarks of a FAKE-----------a story that was to be sold to treasure magazine for $20 to $50. Sorry if you FK or anyone has wasted their time and money for a fabrication of someone else's mind.
Hay say what you want, the real story will come out soon, then how will you look. For years you put this story down as FAKE , now we will see who does his research and who gives up to soon.

Have a great Day

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay say what you want, the real story will come out soon, then how will you look. For years you put this story down as FAKE , now we will see who does his research and who gives up to soon.

Have a great Day

Hey FK you have a great Day also because when the FBI's final report comes out as with their first report----NOTHING OF CIVIL WAR GOLD WAS FOUND. Then how are you going to look?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did that 3 yrs ago, New York, Seneca Tribe. We sent them a lot of video and pictures of what we saw in the cave. When they saw the site was on state land they could do nothing. If it was on Fed land they could. We had hope they would do a dig at the site but in the end they sent everything we gave them to DCNR. Now we have little to prove what we saw. Did we tell the FBI about the indian skeleton , NO because we have no more proof. I had hope when they dug the site up they would find the skeleton and they would get the right people involved. That did not happen. They used a excavator to do the dig and from what I know, I am not sure if they found the part of the cave were the skeleton and living area was.

That does not make any sense. The tribes have to be consulted when an excavation project has the potential of disturbing cultural resources. Does not matter who that land owner is if tax dollars are spent on the project. In order to excavate in a cave purported to have Indian artifacts, the agency...any agency..would have to address the impacts via a categorical exemption or a NEPA clearance. The FBI would certainly not be exempt from this, I wouldn’t think.

Again these environmental documents are public records.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does not make any sense. The tribes have to be consulted when an excavation project has the potential of disturbing cultural resources. Does not matter who that land owner is if tax dollars are spent on the project. In order to excavate in a cave purported to have Indian artifacts, the agency...any agency..would have to address the impacts via a categorical exemption or a NEPA clearance. The FBI would certainly not be exempt from this, I wouldn’t think.

Again these environmental documents are public records.

Hay as I said before, The Seneca sent all of our info to DCNR and it would be up to them to deal with it. If they knew the FBI was doing a dig why didn't they say something. We did not have 100% proof of Indian but what we had showed bones, hair, hand carved crutch , coins, and more that we wanted some expert to tell us what they thought was in that area. Hay we think there are more than one skeleton in there but is it white man or Indian. I am no expert on bones and we did what we thought best. If no action was taken it falls back on DCNR.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , This is war gold so a form of Blood Money , How quickly the respect of those who gave their lives is forgotten.

TP

Well said tinpan, A lot of man died for this hidden treasure and their names will never be known. What happened here was every one got screwed. Not just Us. This was tax payers money and who has it now :dontknow:

This is a part of our HISTORY that we will never know about. This is why we are doing things NOW before it FADES AWAY. Its time we stand up as treasure hunters and fight for what we do. If we do not stick together now, this could happen again
:BangHead:

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
They were probably looking for lead. Old lead. For science experiments. And they probably found it.

If you're talking about so-called low alpha lead, that's a meme that gets kicked around here every so often. Whenever one of those threads starts, all sorts of sellers show up, but buyers never do. I did a bit of digging into it and found that lead ore can vary in how much Pb-210 it contains, but if you get the right stuff without uranium contamination, it's basically non existent...which means that uncontaminated lead does not have to be sourced from antiquity, which (partially) explains why nobody is kicking down doors trying to buy it. I suspect that it got its roots in low alpha steel, which actually used to be a thing, but not so much anymore.

It gets really spooky when you do nuclear science.

Like how?

I have no clue exactly what they do with it. I do know a nuclear weapons accident killed my father, and it did it rather slowly.

This is probably a sensitive subject for you and you may not want to discuss it, but if you are willing to, I'd like to hear your story.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, please discuss it in a different thread or use PM as I did.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin,
We all want to believe that treasures exist and are out there to find. That is why the legend of the Thomas J. Beale Treasure has continued for over 130 years--------we want to believe there is a treasure even when there may not be. First prove these story real and then give the search everything you have.
1,I can find nothing on Lt. James Castleton
Their is Nothing on him that I can find either
2, Sgt. Mike O'Rourke I have little on him

3,or James Conners I have everything on Conners from the day he came to America , were he lived , worked, battles he fought, medical records, death record, and more. ?
4,Now Jack Schall that searched for this treasure for years said he had the diary of Lt. James Castleton? I am good friends with Jack
5, Have you seen this diary?
No

6, The Pinkerton Files have not all been digitized so someone has to go to the National Archives and look for these records.Jack did this and so did our lawyer
7, But as far as I know no one has nor have they reported finding anything to substantiate the story.
Why would we tell what we found, after years of research Jack did and years we spent why give it out for free . No, we knew the real story and it was enough for Jack and us to keep hunting when every one else gave up.

8, Also when the story was written even by Jack Schall's diary of Lt. James Castleton, he mentions the names of the towns and creeks as they appear in modern times. Why was the names of the towns or creeks not listed under their given names during the Civil War? I have no idea

9, So many unanswered questions to verify this story as being legit? With Lt. Castleton sick why was the wagon or wagons abandoned for horses or pack mules? The simple thing to do would be to keep the wagon for the sick officer and deliver the gold as the orders stated to them.
You would have to read the real story to know the answer

10, Also, for that small amount of gold, I would have hidden it around rocks or stumps and covered it over at a location I know I could come back to. There is no way I would lower it into a cavern or cave where anyone could find it easily.
They built walls in the cave , it was hidden.
This story has all the earmarks of a FAKE-----------a story that was to be sold to treasure magazine for $20 to $50. Sorry if you FK or anyone has wasted their time and money for a fabrication of someone else's mind.

Have a great Day

[/QUOTE]

If as you claim you have already found the gold and the FBI stole the gold from you-------YOU TELL ME WHAT WOULD IT HURT NOW TO TELL SOME OF THE REAL STORY? GIVE US JUST ONE PIECE OF RESEARCH OR INFORMATION THAT VERIFIES THIS STORY AS BEING A REAL TREASURE THAT YOU HAVE FOUND. BE IT SERVICE RECORDS, BIRTH OR DEATH RECORDS, ONE SINGLE PINKERTON RECORD, ONE LOCAL NEWSPAPER ARTICLE BEFORE 1970's? Anything you choose.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If as you claim you have already found the gold and the FBI stole the gold from you-------YOU TELL ME WHAT WOULD IT HURT NOW TO TELL SOME OF THE REAL STORY? GIVE US JUST ONE PIECE OF RESEARCH OR INFORMATION THAT VERIFIES THIS STORY AS BEING A REAL TREASURE THAT YOU HAVE FOUND. BE IT SERVICE RECORDS, BIRTH OR DEATH RECORDS, ONE SINGLE PINKERTON RECORD, ONE LOCAL NEWSPAPER ARTICLE BEFORE 1970's? Anything you choose.​

In time I will tell it all but I need to keep some info quiet for now . If I tell everything I know about the real story, everyone will know what I know. Hay if I don't get any money for finders fee I may do a book to sell. This is why I hold back on info to. We have movie offers and all the film companys want us to stay quiet but I need to tell enough to get this in the news to . No matter what I say about the story it wouldn't be enough for you and you would want more.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't share one single fact? Good luck, see you in the movies. No treasure is ever found in the movies except pay from commercials and acting stupid.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would make a perfect History Channel series that could go six seasons!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw aliens in there and it could go for seven seasons or more. The History Channel has become the Reality Channel, there is nothing History in the shows they have on today. History Channel has turned into something worst than a tabloid magazine.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far in life, I have found out,that if I tell a lie, people believe it. If I tell the truth, it is completely discounted. I should have been a politician!

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another news site with the story posted this:

“The Paradas even mentioned that a Russian plane carrying nine tons of gold and silver bars lost some its cargo over Siberia a day after the Dents Run excavation ended.”

FBI says it didn?t find lost Civil War gold, but treasure hunters aren?t so sure

FK: Please identify the source for the information in your statement concerning a Russian plane hauling tons of gold and silver cargo losing part of it over Siberia the day after the FBI allegedly took the treasure from Dents Run.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far in life, I have found out,that if I tell a lie, people believe it. If I tell the truth, it is completely discounted. I should have been a politician!

I once paid one thousand dollars to an attorney to get me on some property of his friend, contract and all. Could not do it. Lost the thousand dollars. Then one of my partners told the property owner a lie about our search equipment and she lets us check the property for nothing. My partner told her our GPL was able to find loose sediments that caused house foundations to collapse. Oh please please check my property. They will believe a lie every time but the truth is never believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread