What's new

Fidget what ???

What happened to good wholesome American toys like lawn darts and those old chemistry sets that contained radium?
 
I was aware of the existence fidget spinners, but it didn't hit me just how annoying they were until I went to the drive-in a few weeks ago. Seemingly every single youngun from 8 to 18 had one in their hands. One kid dropped his off the roof of their van and asked me to pick it up. I played deaf. Embarrassingly, I saw a grown ass adult spinning one the other day. I am not a hateful person but this craze needs to stop. Surely there is more than one way to occupy oneself.
 
I was aware of the existence fidget spinners, but it didn't hit me just how annoying they were until I went to the drive-in a few weeks ago. Seemingly every single youngun from 8 to 18 had one in their hands. One kid dropped his off the roof of their van and asked me to pick it up. I played deaf. Embarrassingly, I saw a grown ass adult spinning one the other day. I am not a hateful person but this craze needs to stop. Surely there is more than one way to occupy oneself.

I saw a man, probably in his 60s, fiercely spinning one as he walked around town. :laughing7:
 
The craze has taken hold of all races, ages, sexes, and is a worlwide success. Wich is totally amazing to me. Much like the yo yo or pet rock, or slinky. It will more than likely fade as quickly as it came about. Although yo yo's and slinkies are still sold by the millions. In a world of high tec. hand held digital devices its hard to believe that something so low tec. With no real purpose can have just as much success. No rare earth elements, no apps, no wi-fi or digital technology, just a spinning bearing. Go figure ?
 
I was aware of the existence fidget spinners, but it didn't hit me just how annoying they were until I went to the drive-in a few weeks ago. Seemingly every single youngun from 8 to 18 had one in their hands. One kid dropped his off the roof of their van and asked me to pick it up. I played deaf. Embarrassingly, I saw a grown ass adult spinning one the other day. I am not a hateful person but this craze needs to stop. Surely there is more than one way to occupy oneself.

Preach it sister.:headbang:
 
Ahhhh...the LAWN DARTS...or Jarts or something like that...of course we became bored just tossing the lawn darts "per instructions" so we would toss them back and forth over the house to each other...or AT each other...and of course there were the contest to see who could throw them the highest...mmm...the good old days! And I still have 80% of my fingers! Ddf

Ha Ha! Did anyone actually play the "Jarts" game as per "instructions"? Toss them like horse shoes into that yellow ring? Nah, lets see how far I can toss this sucker! Hey brother, you go over there and I'll throw this to you! LOL! That's how real Americans were raised back in the day. Anyone ever participate in BB gun wars? I did and still have both my peepers.:hello:
 
Ahhhh...the LAWN DARTS...or Jarts or something like that...of course we became bored just tossing the lawn darts "per instructions" so we would toss them back and forth over the house to each other...or AT each other...and of course there were the contest to see who could throw them the highest...mmm...the good old days! And I still have 80% of my fingers! Ddf
All the warnings we have today of all the hazardous things that we did that can kill us, It is a wonder we are all not dead years ago.!!
The Lawn darts were pretty hazardous. I remember the Mickey Mantle Batting practice kit. It was basically a large rubber band with a ball in the middle. You tied one end to a tree branch and on the other was a large tapered metal stake that you drove into the ground. The ball was in the middle. When you hit the ball it stretched the rubber band then returned it to center. Hit it too hard and you had a metal stake flying around on a rubber string. :) Instant death
 
IMG_0055.webp

Y'all remembers clackers? Now those things would keep your attention span lively after you bonked your wrists a couple of times.
 
Last edited:
Ha Ha! Did anyone actually play the "Jarts" game as per "instructions"? Toss them like horse shoes into that yellow ring? Nah, lets see how far I can toss this sucker! Hey brother, you go over there and I'll throw this to you! LOL! That's how real Americans were raised back in the day. Anyone ever participate in BB gun wars? I did and still have both my peepers.:hello:

Yes, we had plenty of BB gun wars. We called it "manhunt" and played it quite regularly. I remember once having to squeeze a BB out of my arm, still have the scar from that one. :occasion14:
 
Yes, we had plenty of BB gun wars. We called it "manhunt" and played it quite regularly. I remember once having to squeeze a BB out of my arm, still have the scar from that one. :occasion14:

Ah, battle scars. You probably threw back a few cold ones and shared that with your buddies.:occasion14:
 
We used to have M-80 wars, used cigarettes to light them and a wrist rockets to launch them at our opponents as they were launching at us - Sometimes used garbage can lids for defense, sometimes not.
One time one exploded right on my shield, the force of the blast sent it right into my face so hard it left a head impression. I was dazed but I thought it was hilarious and congratulated my opponent for a good shot.
Also played barehand "hot potato" with a flaming tennis ball soaked in alcohol, anyone who dropped it got gang tackled.

Another favorite was barefoot chicken, 2 guys started out facing eachother with legs splayed out ... You'd throw a knife in the ground generally somewhere between your opponents feet and if it stuck he'd have to move one of his feet to the knife, then it was his turn.
Eventually you got to the point where there was only a couple of inches between your feet, your opponent [or you] would try to stick the knife in that space and if you move your foot, you lose.

So actually, I would prefer children these days playing harmlessly with fidgets.
 
I remember launching bottle rockets at each other but, not M80's. Sounds like you had a lot of fun growing up. I wouldn't advocate youngsters to follow my "example" of play when I grew up. But, heck climb a tree, jump into the creek and catch some crawdads, do something that takes some physical effort and trains you some basic life skills. Never into that chicken kind of stuff. I guess I was a chicken sh!t.:hello:
 
View attachment 1461077

Y'all remembers clackers? Now those things would keep your attention span lively after you bonked your wrists a couple of times.

I think I remember these clacker thingies. Kinda' like nun chucks. Flipping dangerous little balls of pain.
 
The spinners that I've purchased are hand made in Cincinnati, OH. Dude is laughing ALL THE WAY to the bank.
 
Lawn darts, bb gun wars, m-80 battles and using the wrist rocket slingshots, dang, sounds like the gang I hung out with and grew up with! Good times! Yeah all still have two eyes, all teeth (or at least the last time saw each other) and no major injuries of people. Xraywolf, that barefoot chicken thing-just a bit too dangerous for trying, besides, might have broken a good knife throwing into the ground, LOL. Back then, those spinners would have been spun up and shot at with the bb guns to see who could hit then ends in motion. Keep the freaky spinners and gimme my detector and memories.
 
BB guns, wrist rockets, fireworks of all types.
Yup. Yup. And Yup !!!
Through a black cat at my buddy when I was 13 landed behind his ear like you carry a pencil, not good, BIG TROUBLE !!! Blew up my neighbors mail box, before I knew it I had 4 guys doing the mexican hat dance on me !!! Ah ...... memory lane !!!!
 
With fun like that, who needs a fidget spinner? Oh yeah, Libs took away most of that fun stuff. Find a good firework that won't blow off fingers, bb guns, like most regular guns, can't fire these off in a majority of localities without getting in trouble, where's my cork-pop gun? Oops, gun!, guess it'll have to be the spinner, dang! Can I go back about 4 decades???
 
The spinners that I've purchased are hand made in Cincinnati, OH. Dude is laughing ALL THE WAY to the bank.

Gotta' say I believe in capitalism and the entrepreneurial spirit. I reckon if you can find someone stupid enough to purchase your worthless product then more power to ya' ! I hope he isn't hiring illegal aliens to assemble these "spinners".
 
How smart do you gotta be to come up with a dumb idea ?? Wish I could come up with something stupid worth a quick...... ahhh ..... how bout 10 million that would get me by.
 
photo-549.webp
Thats right !! Found 2 more today !! They were quickly confiscated by my buddies kids !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom