What's new

Finally did a Hunt (creek)

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was ready for a hunt. I couldnt go to the best part of the creek because the crops were all the way to the tree line so there was no place to walk to get there. I didnt find much but it was a good trip with the birds singing and the sounds of the creek. I didnt see any snakes so that is always a good trip in my book. Although the ticks were out and hungry. I brought 1 geofact home just cause it was interesting.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3594.webp
    100_3594.webp
    639.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_3595.webp
    100_3595.webp
    232.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_3596.webp
    100_3596.webp
    464.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_3597.webp
    100_3597.webp
    214.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_3602.webp
    100_3602.webp
    160.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_3604.webp
    100_3604.webp
    121.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_3606.webp
    100_3606.webp
    141.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_3608.webp
    100_3608.webp
    266.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_3609.webp
    100_3609.webp
    183 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_3610.webp
    100_3610.webp
    214.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_3614.webp
    100_3614.webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
Both are stone but thanks. Just 2 different types of shale I do believe.
 
Well now, you know I'm all about a creek! 8-) and lookin' like you have a great one to find artifacts in.

Yeah it looks very promising to me. Its a very ancient creek with allot of history on it. I have found early all the way to Mississippian in the area. I was told I had a Early Point but I dont know how early cause I forgot to ask. Its the one on the right in the pic.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3157.webp
    100_3157.webp
    141 KB · Views: 99
Thet both look like backed blades to me.. not points... they are nice.
I don't remember you ever posting those when you found them.
Seems like you're always posting broken pieces.. then sometime down the road you post things you say you already found that you've never shown..??
Why do you do that?
No need to answer.. that's rhetorical and just me babbling.
Happy hunting rock.
 
Last edited:
Yeah it was still deep in certain sections. I figured the pottery washed from upstream but it was too deep in that section to check and there was something moving in the water that I couldnt see. Next time when the water goes lower.

Just re-read your thread and "something moving in the water that I couldn't see" caught my eye...there are some parts of my creek that are like that and spooks me and then my son comes in with a nicely sharpened machete' and says what are you afraid of lolol
 
Thet both look like backed blades to me.. not points... they are nice.
I don't remember you ever posting those when you found them.
Seems like you're always posting broken pieces.. then sometime down the road you post things you say you already found that you've never shown..??
Why do you do that?
No need to answer.. that's rhetorical and just me babbling.
Happy hunting rock.
The one on the left is a type of knife made from a flake with only secondary flaking on the edges. The one on the right is a bifacial point. I took my whole collection well almost all of it to the ID session that day a month ago or so. I gave him the pottery shards in a frame I had found as a gift for taking the time to look at all of my finds. He told me it was a early point. I dont always show everything I find.
 
Just re-read your thread and "something moving in the water that I couldn't see" caught my eye...there are some parts of my creek that are like that and spooks me and then my son comes in with a nicely sharpened machete' and says what are you afraid of lolol

Now it could of been a large turtle in the creek or maybe a beaver cause it was kinda deep. Both will bite as far as I know. I might be going back tomorrow seeing we havent had rain since I went the other day and the creek was really flowing with current. Hopefully it has dropped a couple of feet in that deep section. I did try to walk through the other day but the bottom was soft not much gravel so I decided to avoid it for now. Surly I dont want to get stuck in the mud out there by myself.
 
Still looks like a backed blade to me...both of them.
I don't know who this man was or how many and how quickly he was putting names on things.. but I'm sure if you look at backed blades yourself you will see what I mean.
Early what? Archaic? Woodland?
Why would you post broken pieces and debitage and not those?
You even make some your avatar photo.
 
Last edited:
Still looks like a backed blade to me...both of them.
I don't know who this man was or how many and how quickly he was putting names on things.. but I'm sure if you look at backed blades yourself you will see what I mean.
Early what? Archaic? Woodland?
Why would you post broken pieces and debitage and not those?
You even make some your avatar photo.

So why are you really upset? Loyd has 35 yrs experience and has his site on the web. Peach State Arch Society.
 
Yeah it looks very promising to me. Its a very ancient creek with allot of history on it. I have found early all the way to Mississippian in the area. I was told I had a Early Point but I dont know how early cause I forgot to ask. Its the one on the right in the pic.

I also found this in the same spot. Id call it a Waller Knife myself. So what ever period they are from Id say the same on the other 2 I posted. Its the one on the left. It isnt broken at the tip that was the size of the cobble when it was taken off. Yes I found a nice honey hole but I cant get to it again till the winter.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3127.webp
    100_3127.webp
    149.3 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom