What's new

Finally Smelted All My Silver Halves

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim
 

Attachments

  • silver audi.webp
    silver audi.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
excuse me sir, since I helped pay for it can I either see a side shot or at least get a ride
 
coolpix9 said:
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim
Before the pic loaded I didnt realize this was a joke and I thought "oh no, the FBI is going to arrest this guy!", as destroying money is a federal crime and all, heh. What a relief that your real meaning was buying a car, hah! Cool deal, man!
 
EpsilonMinus said:
coolpix9 said:
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim
Before the pic loaded I didnt realize this was a joke and I thought "oh no, the FBI is going to arrest this guy!", as destroying money is a federal crime and all, heh. What a relief that your real meaning was buying a car, hah! Cool deal, man!

Actually, I believe that it is legal to melt silver US coins. It is the pennies and nickels that are illegal to melt. I have heard of coin dealers sending junk bags of silver coins to the smelter.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Jim
 
Silver US coinage is OK to melt, its the other stuff that can get you in trouble.
 
jim4silver said:
EpsilonMinus said:
coolpix9 said:
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim

Before the pic loaded I didnt realize this was a joke and I thought "oh no, the FBI is going to arrest this guy!", as destroying money is a federal crime and all, heh. What a relief that your real meaning was buying a car, hah! Cool deal, man!

Actually, I believe that it is legal to melt silver US coins. It is the pennies and nickels that are illegal to melt. I have heard of coin dealers sending junk bags of silver coins to the smelter.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Jim

I thought I saw something last week or so about silver coins, but all I found in the last 5 minutes of searching was this:

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=724

I like how they say, referring to to pennies, that they are worried about there not being enough in circulation, as if the world doesn't have trillions of extra, worthless, pennies as it is. That's rich. (no pun intended)
 
EpsilonMinus said:
jim4silver said:
EpsilonMinus said:
coolpix9 said:
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim

Before the pic loaded I didnt realize this was a joke and I thought "oh no, the FBI is going to arrest this guy!", as destroying money is a federal crime and all, heh. What a relief that your real meaning was buying a car, hah! Cool deal, man!

Actually, I believe that it is legal to melt silver US coins. It is the pennies and nickels that are illegal to melt. I have heard of coin dealers sending junk bags of silver coins to the smelter.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Jim

I thought I saw something last week or so about silver coins, but all I found in the last 5 minutes of searching was this:

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=724

I like how they say, referring to to pennies, that they are worried about there not being enough in circulation, as if the world doesn't have trillions of extra, worthless, pennies as it is. That's rich. (no pun intended)


The penny and nickel melt ban came out not too long ago when the price of copper and nickel made the value of the coins more due to their metal content than face value.

I believe that melting silver coins was illegal for a time in the late 60s or so, but that the ban was lifted sometime thereafter. I have heard that a lot of old silver dollars and other silver coins were melted down in the last big silver price run up in the early 80s.

Jim
 
coolpix9 said:
That's right boys and girls I have done it. I took all of my halves and dimes and had them smelted into something useful. The work took almost 3 weeks but I think it was worth every penny. HH and Best Wishes to All, Jim

Is that a Mustang?
 
WOW ...Jim.....Nice.... Does this mean you are retiring? Redistributing your assets? Or just replacing the van? Or just able to run the roads faster???? HH Gayle
 
wait i thought the ban on copper pennies was on all if i read this article right it said only
"melting, or treatment of one-cent coins between 1974 and 1978."
does this mean 59-74 and 78-82 are legal to smelt?
 
It's an Audi A8 that was chromed for a Saudi Prince. J
 
coolpix9 said:
It's an Audi A8 that was chromed for a Saudi Prince. J
So now you think your a Saudi Prince, haha? You retired guys just have too much time on your hands- better buy some more bags. HH Mark
 
Hey Mark, I have finally located some more bags. I guess I will have to melt a bumper for some more stash. HH Jim
 
How did you sell your silver coins? Ebay? Forum? Coin Dealer?
 
The whole story is a joke. I haven't sold anything yet. J
 
I think you should make something really useful- bet the misses would like to have a .999 fine silver claw foot bathtub, think of all the medicinal benefits. Good luck with them bags Jim. HH Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom