What's new

First day hunting 4/11

harleyroadangel

Full Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garett ATX 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally had my first day of hunting. Looks like I'm going to have to play around with my harness thingy, start working out, or both, as I was pretty sore after only one hour. I got about 4 grocery size plastic trash bags of trash, which I just threw away, bottles , cans, cups. Found most of the pennies in one 2' spot. I probably dug about 50 targets in the hour. I didn't save the pieces of foil and condiment packets. No jewlery at all......bummer, would have been happy with junk at this point. This month/year will be my learning curve, so all notations good, bad, or ugly, will be a learning experience. It's true, there were quite a few hunters out there....quite the sight.

The id aspect of the detector actually works pretty good......pennies showed up as pennies and the quarter showed up as a quarter. I saved the little shells that showed up in the scoop, as I'm going to start lining the tops of my flower pots with em instead of pebbles. For what it's worth...here's a pic of my finds......1 kid's sand scoop, shells, beer tops, 1 quarter, 9 pennies, one pink feather, 2 photo cards, 4 bags of trash, not pictured.
04112011firsttimefinds.webp
 
Upvote 0
Seems like everyone that is just starting out water or beach hunting can say and show the same things you just did. It's a learning curve that just has to be, well....learned...with any new machine. You might be sore, but next time you will dig less trashy stuff and get more quality finds. Good luck to you. HH Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Better than what I found yesterday, Joy

Glad you got out there...it's a great hobby! :hello2:

Good luck on your next hunt

Lorraine
 
Hang in there.
Learn as much as you can from local old timers in your area.
If they won't teach you, just observe their habits and patterns.
 
Hey you got me beat from yesterday. I had been looking forward hunting the beach all week while I was working. Got down there nice and early (5am!). I found a grand total of.........21 cents!!! Over a four hour period!! Six pennies, one nickel, and one dime...all clad. Oh and a pocket full of the normal trash. Covered nearly three miles of dry sand with my Compadre. Can't wait for my new Sov. GT to come, ordered it the other day!!!! Just an unlucky day yesterday I guess, but it sure does beat working! I'm learning too, just gotta stick with it. Good days are coming... ;D
 
You did good :thumbsup: just remember the more trash you pick out of the sand the more good targets you find next time. Once your musculs remember the workout it gets easier to swing.
HH-drewan
 
drewan29 said:
You did good :thumbsup: just remember the more trash you pick out of the sand the more good targets you find next time. Once your musculs remember the workout it gets easier to swing.
HH-drewan
I'm sure I'll build up detecting muscles...lol. Before you know it, I'll be a pro!
Joy in Fl
 
Joy, Not bad for your first hunt.

It'll only get better from here. :icon_thumleft:
 
congrats on diving into this addicting hobby!! Maybe I'll see you on the beach sometime Joy!
 
cntrydncr1 said:
congrats on diving into this addicting hobby!! Maybe I'll see you on the beach sometime Joy!
I look forward to it!
Joy
 
Well Joy, You done good for the first time out. My wife went hunting with me for the first time about a month ago. I don't think she lasted 1/2 hour before her muscles gave out. I doubt if she will go hunting again. I have a male friend who I took with me some time ago. I think he half hunted a couple of hours and complained to me for 6 months that his shoulder still hurt from the hunt. You are correct, it takes determination and building up your muscles. Of course finding a gold ring is known to give a hunter a boost of energy and strength from unknown sources to keep going. The more you hunt, the easier it gets. Sounds like you have a harness, and that should help. Most of us start hunting in the dry sand because that is the easiest to scoop. Once you bite the bullet and move your hunt into the wet sand closer to the water at low tide you should find less trash and a higher treasure percentage per target. Keep at it, that first gold ring is just around the corner. HH, Ralph
 
petersra said:
Well Joy, You done good for the first time out. My wife went hunting with me for the first time about a month ago. I don't think she lasted 1/2 hour before her muscles gave out. I doubt if she will go hunting again. I have a male friend who I took with me some time ago. I think he half hunted a couple of hours and complained to me for 6 months that his shoulder still hurt from the hunt. You are correct, it takes determination and building up your muscles. Of course finding a gold ring is known to give a hunter a boost of energy and strength from unknown sources to keep going. The more you hunt, the easier it gets. Sounds like you have a harness, and that should help. Most of us start hunting in the dry sand because that is the easiest to scoop. Once you bite the bullet and move your hunt into the wet sand closer to the water at low tide you should find less trash and a higher treasure percentage per target. Keep at it, that first gold ring is just around the corner. HH, Ralph
Thanks Ralph,
That sure encourages me............I was feeling purty whusie. I'm going to keep it up and also work out more.....need to do that for health anyways....lol. I would just love to be able to work up to being out 4 hours at a time.....that would be ideal.
Joy in Fl
 
Yep! Anyone hunting for the first time ever or even it it is the first time for that year goes through those pains. I used to switch my machine from one hand to the other (which really didn't help). My daughter did the same thing but as it's been said.... the first time you find a gold ring .... suddenly the pain melts away. You did very good for the first time. And hunting CWB... it is hard - but not impossible - to find anything down there because there are sooooo many hunters. A lot of them hunt in the late afternoon and some even all night long. By the time you get there in the morning ...... the beach cleaners are working and it is harder to find anything but YOU CAN DO IT! You just have to put your coil over it! Good luck on your future hunts.

:wink:
 
u are on a nice rolllll

keep spinning.............

your nut beat what i found today and yesterday......

good luck to u and all for wed.........

see ya.................................................... :icon_pirat:
 
congrats on your 1st hunt... sounds like you enjoyed yourself---- thats what its all about.. swinging the coil is the best way to work out..... good luck, fill your pockets, fill your holes and have fun.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom