What's new

First gravel bar find!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
8,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first gravel bar point today. Can you see it buried among all the gravel haha?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566930462.146963.webp

I walked up and down the gravel for an hour or two looking for any buffalo or elk bones and I found nothing but some fossils. I was about to go home when I noticed this guy glowing like a beacon from the mud bank on the side of the gravel bar. I’ve never found so much as an obvious flake down there. It’s nearly perfect and almost perfectly white it’s not quartz it’s a flint but it really turned my day around.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566930525.196728.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566930550.931403.webp

It’s kind of amazing that it has been lost for thousands of years and a recent flood uncovered it and placed it on the side of a mud bank. I found it in the tiny window before the next time the river came up. Had I not been at the right place at the right time it would washed it into the river and possibly lost for another thousand years.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a beauty!
 
Yeah, it really is a gem!
 
Could it be white quartz? I've found a few pieces of it at a knapping site I've been messing with and to the touch it feels like flint
 
Last edited:
Almost 0 quartz around here, found one quartz hammer stone in an Indian site, I do find a lot of white flint debitage, I was wondering novaculite too. Thought maybe an off chance it’s a really clean bit of Burlington with out the darker stripes or speckles. The only problem is Burlington is not translucent at all this point let’s just a touch of light through
 
Last edited:
That’s a dandy, congrats.
 
Pretty point!
 
Getting late here so sun is low on the horizon. Still, I want to put up a piece I found here for material comparison. I believe this is a piece of novaculite very similar in color and texture to OTB's piece. A rare material in these parts.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1682.webp
    DSCN1682.webp
    436.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN1690.webp
    DSCN1690.webp
    251.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN1693.webp
    DSCN1693.webp
    340.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN1694.webp
    DSCN1694.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 89
Yours has a bit more clear to it but close I don’t know much about novaculite maybe a variance in material
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566947480.032033.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566947494.031011.webp

Here’s compared to a piece that is Burlington...I’m 95% sure
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566947644.814484.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566947659.383914.webp
They are close in color but even the thin tip of Burlington doesn’t let light through and it’s more grainy my little point is a bit more waxy
 
Last edited:
They will not be identical but the material of your find is closer to chalcedony than to burlington IMO.
 
They will not be identical but the material of your find is closer to chalcedony than to burlington IMO.

I’d agree I don’t think it’s Burlington I worked with plate chalcedony from the flint hills when I was in school it was more blue and even purplish as far as I remember so I don’t think it’s from there but maybe a different source. I think chalcedony or novaculite are front runners
Here’s another point from probably the same stuff, it does have a bit more clear to it
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566953451.526414.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566953490.769385.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1566953523.672212.webp
 
Last edited:
Getting late here so sun is low on the horizon. Still, I want to put up a piece I found here for material comparison. I believe this is a piece of novaculite very similar in color and texture to OTB's piece. A rare material in these parts.

I’m pretty sure your piece is crystal quartz
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom