First Texas Cracks Down on Counterfeit Ring!

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://www.tekneticst2.com/Press Release Dubai Counterfeit Raid -- 06Oct2013.pdf

For those who may not know. First Texas is the parent brand for Teknetics, Bounty Hunter & Fisher Labs.

Arrested in Dubai were two individuals, a Syrian and a Sudanese national, both allegedly in the employ of an Al Ain based trading company, while marketing Chinese-origin counterfeit [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Teknetics® T[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2 [/FONT][/FONT]metal detectors.

I like it a lot better than the msg I got from Garrett Detectors. (Not that I sell Garrett, but I still got the msg.)

They basically said, any dealer who is reported for selling knock-off Garrett products would be immediately terminated! The memo put the burden back on it's dealers. IMO (I guess counterfeit pin pointers are a huge problem!)

First Texas seems to be trying to stop it at the source, or at least part of the pipeline. Rather then threatening it's dealers. (Again, IMO.)

I get an e-mail weekly from a site in China. (Yahoo owns a big state in the site/company.) It's basically a website for manufactures in China. It's blatant with knock-off detectors and pin pointers! (At least I think they are. I'm not sure where the Nokta Pin Pointer is made.) Their prospecting equipment looks like the stuff I buy from ddistributors here, at costs less than what I pay my distributors! (And MANY carry FREE shipping!) No, We don't buy from them!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised to find out they made a T2 just for Arican gold miners. Its not the same T2 for our US gold miners, now why would they do that?

ShOwStOpp3r

Sep 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why would you counterfeit a T2? there's not a huge enough profit margin there,,i can understand making a phony minelab 5000 GPX...
maybe the T2 sell's like mad cakes in other countries and therefore makes it worthwhile...

stick with a trusted dealer like those that sponsor this site and you'll never have to worry or question exactly what you bought..buy anything over seas on Ebay and your asking for trouble

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can u tell if they are fake
They cant find coins lol. jk. I dont think yours is fake at all, let me know if you ever sell it. You wanna know where all the rings or gold went in your park, jimzz977 was probably there. lol

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These counterfeit detectors are very hard to tell from the real thing until you use them. Coiltek and Minelab have started to add holographic images to their packaging to combat these knockoffs.

Minelab has also shut down one of these counterfeiters in Dubai. A dealer or Minelab service can verify serial numbers on used units.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check with teknetics and ser number on my machine was good it was made in 2011 so in good yes!!!!!!!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was on a site that I check out some times.
I believe charlotte49ner is talking about the same site.
I can purchase Garrett Pro-Pointers, including the name printed on the side, and it is either the actual mccoy, or it is a fake.
So either Garrett has them made over there,or, they are stealing the name also. And have no fear of being prosecuted.
Last price I received in an email was $55 a piece. Nice mark up if they go for $150 from Garrett. And reading the description, they are identical to Garretts. All the same exact features.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd bet my last dollar they are knockoffs at $55.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can assure you as a dealer that I can't buy them for $55. A lot of these knockoffs come from China. There is little interest from China's legal system in prosecuting these knockoffs.

There have been two recent arrests and confiscation of knockoffs of Minelab and Teknetics products. These arrests occurred in Dubai. That government is interested in prosecuting.

These units in some cases look identical to real products until you test them in the field. Even the manufacturers sometimes can't tell the difference visually from the outside.

If you have heard of fake Rolex watches, fake Coach or Dooney & Bourke handbags, now you see it in our hobby.

There is a huge demand overseas for gold detectors - that's a primary market for these knockoffs.

John from Edmonton posted a video of one of these knockoff pro pointers. Although it looks the same, you will notice that the tone is solid, instead of the Garrett's accelerating beep. The detection depth is poor.

Be careful where you buy your products. All manufacturers have lists of authorized dealers on their website. If you choose to buy used, get some proof of purchase from the seller if possible. Use Paypal or some type of payment that gives you recourse.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just out of curiosity, does anyone own one and can look under the battery cap or inside and see where it is made?
Not trying to start anything, just wondering.
Cant blame people for trying to make more money in these times.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiosity, does anyone own one and can look under the battery cap or inside and see where it is made?
Not trying to start anything, just wondering.
Cant blame people for trying to make more money in these times.

I CAN blame people. Theft is theft, and what these people are doing is simply stealing an established name and using it for themselves. Hopefully they end up behind bars.

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a limited budget, I would hate to buy one of them only to find out it doesn't work because it is fake! I worked for the money to purchase it, I want the real deal.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This issue really pisses me off. These people are thiefs and they're stealing from people and they should get a solid best down then go to prison. People that prey on others are the worst of the worst!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions