First Time Metal Detector User and New To Forums

k_grinder

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

My name is Kevin and I'm mostly interested in relic hunting. I love history and archaeology. I thought this would be a fun and educational way to spend time, both by myself and with my 11 year old son. I'm trying to educate myself before just jumping in. If anyone could give me advice on a few metal detectors I'm looking at that would be great.

I will be doing most of my hunting in SW Missouri and NW Arkansas. This area is pretty rocky and clay. I guess more officially gravely and silt loam. Again, I'm mostly interested in relic hunting. I would like to spend no more than $450, but would like to settle around the $300 mark. Here is what I have found available in this range.

- Garrett ACE 350 (~ $300)
- White's MXT 300 (used, but good condition ~ $500, pushing my price range )
- Teknetics T2 Special Edition (used, but good condition ~ $425, also pushing my price range )
- Fisher CZ-70 PRO CZ70PRO (used, but good condition ~ $250)
- minelab X-TERRA 70 (used, but good condition ~ $315)
- Fisher F4 (~ $400)
- Minelab X-Terra 305 (~$400)
- Teknetics Gamma 6000 (used, but good condition ~ $500, pushing my price range )
- White's Spectrum XLT (used, but good condition ~ $450, pushing my price range )

That is what I have found shopping around and I have read about all of these, but it starts to get confusing to a novice.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to be part of the Treasure Net Community.

- Kevin

Welcome from White Plains, New York! Of the machines you have listed, my personal picks are these:

- Teknetics T2 Special Edition (used, but good condition ~ $425, also pushing my price range )
- minelab X-TERRA 70 (used, but good condition ~ $315)

With that said, I would like to turn you on to one of the best relic hunting machines on the market today that sells for $450.00 new with a lifetime warranty - the Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

Hello Terry and smalltowngirl13. Thanks for your responses.

Terry I will check out the Tesoro. Is this one you have used? What do you like about it for relic hunting?

Hello Terry and smalltowngirl13. Thanks for your responses.

Terry I will check out the Tesoro. Is this one you have used? What do you like about it for relic hunting?

Lightweight, excellent ground balancing and discrimination, and DEPTH. In farm fields it is an absolute killer, and able to hang with machines that cost twice its price and weigh two-pounds more!

Lightweight, excellent ground balancing and discrimination, and DEPTH. In farm fields it is an absolute killer, and able to hang with machines that cost twice its price and weigh two-pounds more!
Well, there are A LOT of farm fields around here. :) I'll keep researching this one. Thanks for your advice.

hey kevin welcome, see if you can take the used machines out for a spin and test drive them. try to take two at a time to compare them side by side, plus you son will have one to try out with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back