First time out with my new Explorer XS

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I received an early X-Mas present from my folks a couple days ago which was a used Minelab Explorer XS. Being real excited to give it a try I went off today with almost no concept of how to use it to see what I could find. I did manage a neat old key in the woods along an abandoned road and the early door handle (what's left of it) came from behind a late 1700's schoolhouse. I would say that the handle is pre-1850 and possibly dating to the time the schoolhouse was built. Other than that I got a few modern coins and the usual bullet from a local park.
I'm anxious to learn the ropes on this machine and see what it can do. I think the learning curve will be a long one though since I have never used anything remotely this complicated before. I just upgraded from a Bounty Hunter 3300 which was pretty basic and easy to use. Looking forward to some good finds with this new machine!

Attachments

• IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 509
Upvote 0
Old keys are always cool. :thumbsup: Stick with it--you'll get the hang of it after digging lots of holes.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

It won't take you long to learn it. Nice start already. Keep it up.

Well I most certainly won't argue with that choice. I got mine shortly after they came out and almost everyone I know and hunt with has made the change. The last hold out was a detecting friend of 8 years and just a little over a month ago he finally put the Garrett aside for an XS.

The Sunray probe is great to have because the XS is very good at finding targets on edge but they can be tough to locate. I find it saves your knees too.

Good luck! But you shouldn't need quite as much now that you use an explorer. :thumbsup:

Sweet finds incajoe... Especially like that key... I work for BNSF Railway and the key appears to be a switch lock key... I've found a few here in Oklahoma...

HH Robert

Iron Patch said:
The Sunray probe is great to have because the XS is very good at finding targets on edge but they can be tough to locate. I find it saves your knees too.

Good luck! But you shouldn't need quite as much now that you use an explorer. :thumbsup:

I actually got the Sunray probe with my machine and I can tell already that it is going to make a huge difference. I was finding the target in seconds rather than minutes. I just have to get good at remembering to switch it back to coil when I'm done digging! ::)

I got my XS when they first came off the line, and here it is almost 10 years later and I am still learning things about it. Word of warning... Take your owners manual out in the field with ya, you're gonna need it!.......NGE

notgittinenny said:
I got my XS when they first came off the line, and here it is almost 10 years later and I am still learning things about it. Word of warning... Take your owners manual out in the field with ya, you're gonna need it!.......NGE

I would if I had one! I gotta get one. I've been just looking at the manual online which isn't cutting it.

Merry Christmas, Joe! :thumbsup: GREAT key!

Nana :wink:

I agree with Bertman. The key looks like an old railroad barrel key/switch key. Is there any writing on it that ends with 'RR'? I found one a few years ago.

Congratulations on the finds and good luck in future hunts.

NJ

The explorer machines are hard to learn but if you take the time and energy into any explorer machine then you will recieve some excellent finds in return! :)

N.J.THer said:
I agree with Bertman. The key looks like an old railroad barrel key/switch key. Is there any writing on it that ends with 'RR'? I found one a few years ago.

Congratulations on the finds and good luck in future hunts.

NJ

Nope, no writing on the key whatsoever. It wasn't found near any rail line that I'm aware of but I guess that doesn't really mean anything. Thanks for the info though.

It could be an old trunk key or for a key wind mantle clock, or a key for unlocking slave shackles.....NGE

notgittinenny said:
It could be an old trunk key or for a key wind mantle clock, or a key for unlocking slave shackles.....NGE

Let's go with slave shackles key...that sounds good. :D

Good luck with your new XS.I just picked up a used one about a month ago.I was using a M6 and I found a pretty good amount of silver with it,but Hunting with Ricardo_NY and have him call me over to check out signals he said were silver(they were) and the M6 not picking them because of trash masking,really caused me to consider the beast.He then had consecutive hunts of 12 then 17 silver coins.That was it.Got me a XS on EBAY ,picked up Sunray probe and X-8 coil and had Ricardo set the beast up and give me a lesson.I was finding good stuff from the first hunt,so far 9 silver coins and 3 silver rings and a ton of wheaties.I don't know enough to play with the settings,but if you are an experienced detectorist,you can start to learn this machine pretty quickly.It certainly helps to hunt with another Explorer user.Good luck,swing slow and work those high tone signals.

Nice start!

One of the best tips that I received that made a huge difference for me is setting the Threshold Tone. Note that it doesn't just change the threshold tone, it also changes the tone of the targets. Wave a quarter over the coil (or probe) while adjusting the tone up and down until it sounds distinctive to you and stands out. (Which was around 9 for me on the SE.) It really helps silver and copper jump out at you from the midst of the other tones!

BlackX said:
Nice start!

One of the best tips that I received that made a huge difference for me is setting the Threshold Tone. Note that it doesn't just change the threshold tone, it also changes the tone of the targets. Wave a quarter over the coil (or probe) while adjusting the tone up and down until it sounds distinctive to you and stands out. (Which was around 9 for me on the SE.) It really helps silver and copper jump out at you from the midst of the other tones!

Good tip, I'll try it. Thanks!

My ears are so bad that I set the tone really low, as I can't hear high frequency sounds, but then again, that's just for my ears only......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back