Fisher F5

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always had a fondness for the Fisher F5 or Teknetics Omega 8000. I love the display of the F5 and quick adjustability of the knobs and pads. I tried the new Omega 8500 but after using the 8000, there was something different. Not a bad detector at all, but if you have used the 8000 for a long time, it will affect your opinion. The F5 and Omega are very similar in performance, so you can't go wrong with either.

I recently re acquired an older F5 that I sold five years ago, but I have not had a real chance to use it because of the winter weather. Last Saturday, I got a break in the weather and took the F5 to a clad hotspot, but with a chance for 40's to 50's coins. I favor the 11 inch dd coil over the stock 10 inch football coil. In my mineralized ground, it is deeper and more accurate. The tones on the F5 are the most crisp when using the 11 inch coil and I was smiling the whole time I detected. There were no earth shattering finds, but three decent finds for this site. Two wheat pennies from about 7 inches deep and a religious combo. This combo included a brass cross and a silver medallion that was 7 to 8 inches deep.

One of the finds that included a wheat penny also had a 1940 nickel in the hole. You have heard about a detector "averaging" the finds and this is exactly what happened. The signal was weak(68-70), but deep on the gauge. I dug it out of curiosity and was baffled when I found the nickel. Years of experience told me to recheck the hole and I got another hit with the pinlpointer and inch deeper. There was the wheat. The signal was between where a nickel and copper penny hit. For some reason, I find this amazing.

Fresko53

Jul 30, 2017
Weslaco,TX.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Land Pro, White's Spectra V3i.
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an F5 before and sold it, but I couldn't pass up a deal and bought myself another one for my birthday! Can't wait to try it out! Now if I can find an F5" coil for a reasonable price I'd be a happy camper! Good luck and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions