FIVE SEATED LIBERTIES, 1812 NAVY, Civil War--CaneField Bandits are Back!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

After enjoying the beach hunting, I took a trip to Virginia to dig with my mentor and had some fun digging a few Civil War relics, searching for some old house sites, etc. More memories than finds made, but it was a great experience. Then I came back and did some scouting, following scant signs of habitation, and finding a couple lone flat buttons. Some truly frustrating hunts in the 100+ temps here in Louisiana. Then there was a heat wave, followed rain, rain, and more rain. So now that the heat has broken (95 degrees and dry, not 105 and humid!), Diggergirl, Shangalang, and I hit the fields. Video below

When I got to the site today, Shangalang had already dug two civil war bullets and a holed 1853 Seated Half Dime. DG and I didn't waste any time. I got an ornate piece of silver (busted up wax fob seal?) and she dug a cuff button (civilian). Shangalang then dug a big one-piece convex button. Looks like a circle in the center and oak leaves around. Civilian? Military? I think it has a Robinson backmark. Does anyone recognize this button as anything besides Civilian?

shang mystery butt.jpgshang mystery butto.jpgshang mystery button.jpg

Soon I get a mid-range tone and flip a half dime out! I could see it looked like it was in good shape. Bent over to pick it up where it had fallen out of the dry plug down on the ground again:

1854 hd just dug.JPG1854 hd.JPG

It's an 1854 with arrows half dime :headbang:

Then next thing I know, DG's got one too! I come running over and she's got a nice 1842 half dime!

DG.jpg

Then I go about 10 feet ahead and get the PERFECT dime signal. Should've filmed it live, but didn't want to jinx...but sure enough--it was a SEATED DIME! Seated #4 for the day so far!

1842 dime just dug.JPG1842 d.JPG

Then not long after, I hear Shangalang yelling that he's got a button with stars and an eagle on it! I go running and see this in his hand:

navy button.JPG

Then I dug what I'm pretty sure is a canteen spout. Pieces of melted led everywhere. A couple flat buttons. DG gets a pocket watch winder and I dig what ends up being a V Nickel on the way out, and we decide that it's time to call it a day. Shangalang hasn't dug his silver yet, but DG and I pack up the truck and get ready to head out. Then as I'm leaving I think I'm hearing something faint, like on the radio--wait!--it's Shangalang waving and yelling at me to come back! :D He comes running with a silver. It's an 1857 half dime! :headbang:

1842 hd just dug.JPG

THEN, once DG and I are on the road, Shang calls and says he just dug a large cent! Ended up being a toasted braided hair, but it's only the 4th or 5th large cent we've dug down here in the past 4 years.

early navy.jpg1857 hd.jpg1857 hd rev.jpg

rusty hole halfdime.jpgrusty hole halfdime rev.jpg

IMG_0534.JPGIMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPGIMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPGIMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPGIMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPGshang finds.jpg

Happy Hunting from the Cane Field Bandits 8-)

Cane Bandits.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 31
Nice grouping of finds. Love the old buttons and seated. Nice video. Looks like yall had a great day.
Canefield Bandits.. Here we go.
What Frequency were you running with the XP when finding those half-dimes?
HH
Hi bonepicker, I was on GM Power, 17khz, iron volume at 0, ground balance tracking, 11 inch coil.

Hi bonepicker, I was on GM Power, 17khz, iron volume at 0, ground balance tracking, 11 inch coil.
Thanks for responding Shane, I have yet to nail a half-dime with the deus.
Been running 4 and 8K a lot to avoid the tiny trash, but have been running 12 with some success lately.
Very impressive hunt guys, looking forward to seeing many more.

Good show! :thumbsup:
The finds are excellent!
Always enjoy your videos, when they come by,
they're always....inspiring!

One whole dime and four half dimes. That makes 3 whole dimes total.... and one awesome day of hunting. Congrats to all! Some great buttons as well.

Good show! :thumbsup:
The finds are excellent!
Always enjoy your videos, when they come by,
they're always....inspiring!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your kind words.

HH,

Buck

One whole dime and four half dimes. That makes 3 whole dimes total.... and one awesome day of hunting. Congrats to all! Some great buttons as well.

Thanks so much my friend. I can't wait to do it again.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back