Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I having trouble finding an effective flocculant for my recirculating water system in my gold mill.
Any recommendations?
Where I can get it?
I’ve tried some that are advertised for clearing up ponds, but it’s not working.
Maybe I need more?
Ive put about 4 gallons in my 1000 gallon circuit.
You need less. Much less. Anionic polyacrylamide will work for mixing it yourself. CATFLOC is good for a premixed product; we run about a liter an hour for a thickener 35' in diameter. A little goes a long way.

OP
OP
L

Load77

Apr 10, 2021
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need less. Much less. Anionic polyacrylamide will work for mixing it yourself. CATFLOC is good for a premixed product; we run about a liter an hour for a thickener 35' in diameter. A little goes a long way.
So I guess I’m not quite understanding you.
35’ in diameter?
I have a series of three 300 gallon tanks dumping into each other in a line, then dumping into a 100 gallon tank that I pump out of.
I was hoping a flocculant additive would make the suspended material that is clouding up the water settle faster.
Maybe I’m not understanding how it works?

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
35’ in diameter?
I have a series of three 300 gallon tanks dumping into each other in a line, then dumping into a 100 gallon tank that I pump out of.
I was hoping a flocculant additive would make the suspended material that is clouding up the water settle faster.
Yes, we dose a thickener 35' in diameter (about 45,000 gallons capacity) at 1.25 liters per hour of flocculant. You understand its function correctly but I'm not sure your dosage/reagent combo is right for your application. Try buying a bag or two of that anionic stuff, it works great for dropping clay and sediment out.

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
35’ in diameter?
I have about 800 gallon system, I use 55 gal drums in half for the water coming off my table, they dump into each other inline, with my final flow going into a 700 gal tank Which I pump from.
I can run about six hours before I have to empty my half buckets of cleaned sands, the clay mostly ends up in my big tank.
I just let it settle overnight, it will be clear water for an hour or so before the water is dirty, once you start running and get table adjusted proper using dirty water won't hurt you recovery unless it's getting thick with clay.
Just trust you equipment it works, I have been known to use some dish soap to help settle out cloudyness in my main tank.
I can run for about 8 days before I empty the main tank and clean out the sludge it would be about 2in thick on the bottom if it gets more than that the water start to get thick..
If you can show a pic it would help ..
Gt....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread