Fossil ???

LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to help a friend find out about this item. It was found in a river in Florida. It is about one foot long and about 2 inches in circumference. It was originally one piece but was broken when getting out of the ground. Any ideas as to what this is would be greatly appreciated. fossil 008.jpg fossil 009.jpg fossil 010.jpg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first thought that comes to my mind is baby mammoth tusk

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be!! What part of Florida? My brother dives Florida. He says most of the mammal fossils come from upper Florida. Wasn't there an extinct whale that had tusks?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be!! What part of Florida? My brother dives Florida. He says most of the mammal fossils come from upper Florida. Wasn't there an extinct whale that had tusks?

I haven't been able to get in touch with my friend but I remember them telling me that it was from a river in Florida that was famous for finding things like this. I'll update soon as I find out what river exactly.

Upvote 0

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a internet search on "Vero Man". I believe it was reported that some mastodon teeth were also found nearby. Florida Atlantic University is supervising the ongoing dig. Bet they would love to see those pictures. Really a nice find. I picked up a small piece of fossilized turtle shell on the beach in Ft. Pierce last week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to get in touch with my friend but I remember them telling me that it was from a river in Florida that was famous for finding things like this. I'll update soon as I find out what river exactly.

It was found in Peace or Piece River in Florida, not sure of the spelling.

Upvote 0

Bforbis

Jun 15, 2019
West coast Flo Reduh
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossil

Trying to help a friend find out about this item. It was found in a river in Florida. It is about one foot long and about 2 inches in circumference. It was originally one piece but was broken when getting out of the ground. Any ideas as to what this is would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1544942 View attachment 1544943 View attachment 1544941
The fossil you have is a rib bone, possibly manatee. I have found then by the thousands in the Cooper River, but smaller pieces.....very nice find though

Upvote 0

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rib bones of a manatee.
Awesome.

We used to feed manatees by pushing over young Australian pine trees into the water on canal banks. The manatees would strip those trees clean. Very fun to watch.

Upvote 0

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Could be a rib bone from a larger animal or sea creature.

My standard joke:
It's a coprolith - - a petrified dinosaur dropping.
Though I'm not too sure about the petrified part, or the dinosaur part, for that matter. (Ha, ha!)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread