What's new

Found a few more!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
4,253
Reaction score
1,627
Golden Thread
0
image-2561320043.webp

image-4057807743.webp



image-4066799205.webp



image-454625987.webp



image-3284040026.webp



image-1691812234.webp



image-2180732803.webp



image-2675042971.webp



image-1924715029.webp



image-2268233724.webp



image-2739306127.webp



image-3827600677.webp



image-737499134.webp



image-2540909440.webp



image-2171517406.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds! Looks like the persistence pays off for you to have a nice collection. Thanks for sharing! 8-)
 
You found some nice ones. Thanks for sharing.
 
Good hunt you had! Those spike points and one above them in my opinion look like Randolf points. Not as elegant as most other types but rare to find.
 
I found quite a few more today like these SC. I'll post them under this thread. I'm cleaning them now.
 
I like the spikes. Sometimes they look like drills. You did real well.
 
Great artifact finds! Keep posting your NC pics!
 
You had a good day, that is some great finds:thumbsup:
 
Here are a few more I found today. All of the finds in this thread were found in the same field. I think I have a piece or two made of flint or chert. I find a little flint in VA. Most flint that I find is paleo, transitional or early archaic. Although, I am sure I've found flint/chert in North Carolina fields, I honestly can't tell you when or which field I found my last flint piece in. Hope you guys like these.

image-1124725776.webp



image-67379921.webp



image-2399367251.webp



image-1213339132.webp



image-2163740016.webp



image-323370538.webp



image-3923887371.webp



image-1603962292.webp



image-4230309744.webp



image-2681880111.webp



image-982299720.webp



image-1766759784.webp



image-2479962058.webp



image-4046924836.webp



image-3529307129.webp



image-3978020389.webp



image-540574034.webp



image-538966645.webp



image-2419053475.webp



image-1379750057.webp



image-2815125655.webp



image-1626782346.webp



image-3260001674.webp



image-1213379504.webp

I also found a hoe or spade made from a core.

image-2795532105.webp



image-3344324397.webp



image-2271996347.webp

Also, some bone or turtle shell. I'm not sure which one, and would love any input one has to offer.

image-3282995951.webp



image-591606404.webp



image-660323685.webp



image-1671891489.webp



image-3523906668.webp



image-657653222.webp

Thanks for any info. And for viewing!!
 
I like the spikes. Sometimes they look like drills. You did real well.

Spikes? I know which ones the 'spikes' are, but I always thought they were drills. There's a 'point' spike? --Or, what is a spike- what's it's use. I've never heard that term before and need some education. Thanks in advance. Yakker
 
In your first section of pictures, the 3rd picture looks like a Randolph to me. Then, in your second section of pictures, the 4th-5th pictures looks like Randolphs to me also. I see that rounded stone that is smooth, is that a celt? I found one last week that looks similar. I believe mine was like a quartzite cobble material though. You found some really nice NC forms and materials. Thanks for sharing! 8-)
 
In your first section of pictures, the 3rd picture looks like a Randolph to me. Then, in your second section of pictures, the 4th-5th pictures looks like Randolphs to me also. I see that rounded stone that is smooth, is that a celt? I found one last week that looks similar. I believe mine was like a quartzite cobble material though. You found some really nice NC forms and materials. Thanks for sharing! 8-)
Thanks Rockhead!! The round purple piece is a spade or hoe. It would have sat in a haft like so.

image-4022909519.webp



image-2114177249.webp



image-3634340417.webp



image-1301809059.webp

I have a hard stone version with a rather nice polish.

image-693059514.webp



image-3692936598.webp



image-2940892905.webp



image-420274586.webp

Pardon the grease monkey hands. I've been out practicing my cursing.
 
Oh yea them are cool. You seem to find many hoes. I have a few. I was actually asking the one in the 12th pic. Looks like a celt or hammerstone. Seeing that one may help me figure out what I found last week. I think mine would have used the same way as that one.
 
Spikes? I know which ones the 'spikes' are, but I always thought they were drills. There's a 'point' spike? --Or, what is a spike- what's it's use. I've never heard that term before and need some education. Thanks in advance. Yakker

Look up Woodland Spikes then you will know and yes they are a type of a point.
 
Oh yea them are cool. You seem to find many hoes. I have a few. I was actually asking the one in the 12th pic. Looks like a celt or hammerstone. Seeing that one may help me figure out what I found last week. I think mine would have used the same way as that one.
Oh! Nah, it's not a Celt. It's actually another hoe. See the wear at the tip? It's been banged on very little. An old quick Tator rock tool. I always pick those up and toss them around my yard.
 
Lol. Well that's what I picked up then. You know where mine is? It's alongside my driveway. Never know when it may come in handy. Might have to throw it at a stray dog or something.
 
Okay, thanks for that... For those like me, who don't know what a spike point is, it's a late Woodland point and comes w/ 2 varieties, that I can find. Bradly and Schild. From what I can tell the Schild variety was produced in Illinois and Missouri, while the Bradly variety more south (and east?). Spikes seem to have a bit of a flare at the base. Nodinas, on the other hand, do not- and are slightly convex in the middle, and tapering at both ends. Without cutting and pasting, that's what I can sum up. But I couldn't pull up info from the Il. Univ. (major computer 'stall-out'), so I don't know much more than that.

The only reason I asked was because I haven't ever heard that point style referred to, although apparently it was discussed last year- by Rock- in a thread on Currituck Sound discoveries. So... it really was a fairly simple answer. Yak
 
The spike type point was made in that narrow design to go further into the kill animal. I was told it wasnt the actual point that killed the target but the shaft due to it going so deep into the animal. That is why they are designed the way they are. Most arent pretty that I have found.
 
That makes perfect sense, Rock. Thanks for that. What I couldn't tell from this thread or the articles I found on line was whether a spike was uniface or worked all-around. Which is actually why I asked my question in the first place. I wanted to know how to distinguish a straight drill from a spike. I guess I should have put it that way from the start, no? ;) Yak
 
The spike looking points and the ones that look a little like a crude Morrow Mountains are refereed to as Randolph types in N.C. region. Likely the other crude stuff are the same period. Only a few hundred years old (1725-1800). Indians had became dependent on firearms then had to revert back to bows/arrows when firearms/ammunition became scarce and there flint napping skills were now poor.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom