Found a neat buckle today

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur (Sword Model) Tesoro Cibola (With GB Mod)
I have been so busy lately that detecting just has not been possible. Today I was able to get back out, though. The river in front of me is finally getting warm enough to get deep in. I waded with my Excalibur (Sword Model) and it paid off. I found this buckle. I have never found one like this before. I am guessing colonial? I also found this flat button in the same area. I have found several of these buttons in this same area over the past year.

Needs a lot of cleaning, but I found this find quite interesting.

Attachments

• Buckle1.JPG
    Buckle1.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 644
  • Buckle2Back.JPG
    Buckle2Back.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 642
  • FlatButton.JPG
    FlatButton.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 641
Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
romeo-1 said:
Yep...colonial shoe buckle! Rare to find intact.

Awesome!!! That is the first one I have found. I think there is more to find in that area too. Funny thing is that the site is about 100 feet out in the river from the present shoreline. I guess that is how far the erosion has gone over the last couple hundred years.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing buckle find pamlicopanther! :notworthy:

Maybe consider giving it to a professional for restoration. :icon_scratch:

It would certainly be worth it! :icon_thumright:

Dave

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Sweet buckle!!! :headbang: The innards look great, I think Antiquarian's suggestion might be worth pursuing!

OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Antiquarian said:
Amazing buckle find pamlicopanther! :notworthy:

Maybe consider giving it to a professional for restoration. :icon_scratch:

It would certainly be worth it! :icon_thumright:

Dave

I would like to get it restored. Who would one contact to get something like that done?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome intact find :o
I would ask at a nearby museum or historical society regarding local restoration services.
I hate the thought of sending treasure off in a box.
Great Recovery :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, that's a nice early one but cleaning looks like it will be a challenge. If you have other dug items that you don't care about which are black like that they would make good test pieces.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:

Nice buckle :icon_thumleft: I'm wondering why the tongue and chape have remained fairly undamaged, compaired to the frame :icon_scratch:, what do you think the frame is made from...bronze :dontknow:

SS

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure did(find a neat buckle) :wink: I think I've typed with you before. :icon_scratch: And you said your on the other side of the Pamlico river. :icon_scratch: I grew up on the south side (Hobucken,Lowland area).I get down that way every now & then but not very often as it's a purdy good drive for me now since moving to Morehead.But have lots of family still down there.And worked the pamlico quite a bit when I still lived down there Crabing,shrimping,flounder&mullet fishing.Nice areas over there and miss it from time to time.Anyway like that button you found there too. :wink: It looks alot like a couple I have that don't seem to turn up here to often for me anyway.Not sure of it's make up but they are a little different then just pewter & hold up better & rings up different then a pewter of the same size maybe more tin or copper in them. :icon_scratch: Here's just one like yours I found just to show the shank better & the fact that they with stand the ground & time better then the pewter ones.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 300

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome buckle! I have been looking at property down that way . Havelock ,Oriental, Bath, Lots of neat history down that way.

OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Timekiller said:
You sure did(find a neat buckle) :wink: I think I've typed with you before. :icon_scratch: And you said your on the other side of the Pamlico river. :icon_scratch: I grew up on the south side (Hobucken,Lowland area).I get down that way every now & then but not very often as it's a purdy good drive for me now since moving to Morehead.But have lots of family still down there.And worked the pamlico quite a bit when I still lived down there Crabing,shrimping,flounder&mullet fishing.Nice areas over there and miss it from time to time.Anyway like that button you found there too. :wink: It looks alot like a couple I have that don't seem to turn up here to often for me anyway.Not sure of it's make up but they are a little different then just pewter & hold up better & rings up different then a pewter of the same size maybe more tin or copper in them. :icon_scratch: Here's just one like yours I found just to show the shank better & the fact that they with stand the ground & time better then the pewter ones.
Take Care,

We have chatted before. I am on the south side of the Pamlico across from Washington. I grew up fishing and crabbing this river as well. I love it and my kids love it.

I have found several buttons in this spot that are a lot like the one you posted. I found another one today and my first spoon. I have also found numerous coins that are so worn you can't read anything on them.

Morehead is a nice place.

OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Silver Searcher said:
:headbang:

Nice buckle :icon_thumleft: I'm wondering why the tongue and chape have remained fairly undamaged, compaired to the frame :icon_scratch:, what do you think the frame is made from...bronze :dontknow:

SS

I am not sure what the frame is made of. I am still being very careful in trying to clean it. It actually appears that the roughness of the frame is actually the way it was made. At first I thought it was corrosion and wear, but it seems it may have been made that way to add a decorative quality to it.

OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
yep, that's a nice early one but cleaning looks like it will be a challenge. If you have other dug items that you don't care about which are black like that they would make good test pieces.

Cleaning it has been challenging. I cannot get the black to come off. I have other items I have found with this black stain on them that I have been able to get some off, but this one is tough.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pamlicopanther said:
Timekiller said:
Take Care,

We have chatted before. I am on the south side of the Pamlico across from Washington. I grew up fishing and crabbing this river as well. I love it and my kids love it.

I have found several buttons in this spot that are a lot like the one you posted. I found another one today and my first spoon. I have also found numerous coins that are so worn you can't read anything on them.

Ok then gotcha, good deal. :thumbsup: I've sold old bottles to the guy over there in the past that runs the mini mart there.(Mike)Yea that's a good area for old stuff been around that part a few times been awhile now though.Last time over there I was around the Fort area on the river looking. Know some guy's that have found a few cannon balls out that way.But that's been years ago now.One old guy I know talked like they were everywhere in trees,fields and such at one time over there.But he's about close to 80yrs old now.And was speaking from when he was a young boy growing up over there.Anyway wish you continued success & maybe will run in to each other some day.
Take Care,

OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Timekiller said:
pamlicopanther said:
Timekiller said:
Take Care,

Ok then gotcha, good deal. :thumbsup: I've sold old bottles to the guy over there in the past that runs the mini mart there.(Mike)Yea that's a good area for old stuff been around that part a few times been awhile now though.Last time over there I was around the Fort area on the river looking. Know some guy's that have found a few cannon balls out that way.But that's been years ago now.One old guy I know talked like they were everywhere in trees,fields and such at one time over there.But he's about close to 80yrs old now.And was speaking from when he was a young boy growing up over there.Anyway wish you continued success & maybe will run in to each other some day.
Take Care,

I am actually just a few miles from Mike's Minimart.

I sent you a PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread