What's new

Found this at a river

Culley01

Greenie
Joined
Dec 29, 2020
Messages
14
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bay Area, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the river looking at stones and came across this blue rock that was shimmering from tiny orange-ish gems around it. any information would be most delightful as ive look all over the net with no luck.
 

Attachments

  • 1609303707747447284411853532191.webp
    1609303707747447284411853532191.webp
    647.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 16093037384998933448996108983666.webp
    16093037384998933448996108983666.webp
    819.5 KB · Views: 138
Go to Google images...look up porphyry. Looks to me like that is what it is. Gary
 
Upvote 0
Looks like garnets to me..what state are you in?
 
Upvote 0
Welcome and an interesting find.

As asked, where are you located. That will help others zero in on more info for you.
 
Upvote 0
Cully, did a bit of research via Google, and came up with
a really cool gallery on Minedat.Org:

Check out the third image. I believe what you have there is
"Pyrope garnet in omphacite matrix".

https://www.mindat.org/sitegallery.php?loc=228967
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the location and I'll have to visit the link DD shared.
 
Upvote 0
An interesting find! I would have picked it up and brought it home, too! Cool! Thanks for sharing.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow, I would have picked it up too. I wonder if ultraviolet light does any neat things to it...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom