What's new

Found This in a park

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
2,603
Reaction score
806
Golden Thread
2
Location
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a park in upstate NY about 6 inches down. My gtp 1350 read all the way to the right in the silver range i thought maybe an aluminum can but figured id check anyway. It weighs over 20 pounds and is non magnetic and is about 4 inches high and 7 inches around. Any help would be great thanks.
 

Attachments

  • detect 018.webp
    detect 018.webp
    42 KB · Views: 682
BuckleBoy said:
4-H said:
Like 10 cents a pound! Better have a ton of it

I'm working on a ton of iron! And if that were worth 10 cents a pound, I'd be rich.
All the metal recyclers here in South Florida will buy lead. I dont know what they pay now but the price of batteries, for instance, has gone way up. I used to find batteries all the time in parking lots or side of the road etc, but not any more.

I think iron has also gone up. You drive your truck on the scale, unload, and weigh your truck on the way out.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
BuckleBoy said:
4-H said:
Like 10 cents a pound! Better have a ton of it

I'm working on a ton of iron! And if that were worth 10 cents a pound, I'd be rich. Trouble is finding someone that recycles lead.
All the metal recyclers here in South Florida will buy lead. I dont know what they pay now but the price of batteries, for instance, has gone way up. I used to find batteries all the time in parking lots or side of the road etc, but not any more.

I just modified my initial post. We have a ticker on Tnet for the current lead price. I requested other metals besides gold and silver be shown, and the mods came through for me. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Where is it and how much is iron?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Where is it and how much is iron?

Lead, copper, nickel, and aluminum are under "Metals" in the middle row of links up top.

Iron is not listed :'(


But it is worth about $8 per 100lbs here.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Where is it and how much is iron?

Lead, copper, nickel, and aluminum are under "Metals" in the middle row of links up top.

Iron is not listed :'(


But it is worth about $8 per 100lbs here.
So is that is 8 cents a pound?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
BuckleBoy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Where is it and how much is iron?

Lead, copper, nickel, and aluminum are under "Metals" in the middle row of links up top.

Iron is not listed :'(


But it is worth about $8 per 100lbs here.
So is that is 8 cents a pound?

Yep. Wish it were 10 cents per pound. Iron was up a bit last summer. We'd save it until we had 200lbs (usually 4 hunts or so), take it in, and come back with over 20 bucks (which paid the gas money for every other hunt). Now it's around $16--but I still do it, in part because the farmers are happy when I remove it.
 
Upvote 0
Hmm Such with the dimples in the top may have been a forming anvil. Also such as lead was used in auto body repair years ago, and of course salvaged by poring it into ingots. Also look up a compound of babit used for bushings.
 
Upvote 0
alpha lead would probably contain no slag or foreign material. yhe removal of the impurities is what makes alpha lead. it does not release gases that damage microchips like regular lead. steel is 85.00 per ton in peoria, illinois. lead is up i can get .15 cents a pound on wet or dry auto batteries right now.
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
alpha lead would probably contain no slag or foreign material. yhe removal of the impurities is what makes alpha lead. it does not release gases that damage microchips like regular lead. steel is 85.00 per ton in peoria, illinois. lead is up i can get .15 cents a pound on wet or dry auto batteries right now.
Alpha lead must be old. You cannot make alpa-lead by removing the impurities from modern lead. You need to read the links, I cannot explain it but the explanation is there.
 
Upvote 0
I posted it trader, but Im not an atomic physicist. :D I just meant that its more complicated than just removing the impurities. You can not melt lead in a pot, scoop out the slag impurities and make lo-alpha lead. Some readers may get the wrong idea. Lo-alpha lead is worth bucks if you know about it. But they wont recognize it at your local scrapyard.
 
Upvote 0
you are very correct. most do not know, i am not sure i fully understand. i believe that true alpha lead is very expensive and some people try to "make" alpha lead for profit and it is not true alpha. i used to make lead weights some, and i used to eat lead paint probably, and i have recycled 45000 batteries. but that only makes me a lead licker :tongue3: i fully respect all your post...
 
Upvote 0
I used to cook in aluminum pots. :D :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
is that bad ??
It is believed to be a major cause of Alzheimer's Disease. You should only cook in Stainless Steel pots.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
what about cast iron? is it safe?

It's more than safe--it's healthy. Iron deficiency was Never a problem in the past. :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom