What's new

From the back 40

huntress104

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
566
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Hunted my neighbor's field Saturday afternoon after the heavy rain. Lots of washed out and uncovered flint. Got lucky and found a few good ones. Found my first turkey tail I think. Tip was broke but still nice. Found a super nice blade that is made from unusual material. Tip broke on it too. Brokes and the usual scraper or two.

001.webp002.webp003.webp004.webp005.webp006.webp007.webp008.webp010.webp011.webp014.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice hunt! Shame there are so many broken...that would drive me nuts...I'm liking that blade.
 
Nice hunt! Shame there are so many broken...that would drive me nuts...I'm liking that blade.


Thanks Gator, I like the blade too. Can't put my finger on the kind of material it is though. Kinda looks like granite...
 
arrow_head.gif
Nice finds huntress.
 
Is it my computer screen or does it all look big? Nice looking finds. Is #5 squared off? Love the bases of those Adena! They look like turkey tails. I like the Ky artifacts. Thanks for sharing Huntress.
 
Thanks Gator, I like the blade too. Can't put my finger on the kind of material it is though. Kinda looks like granite...

Great hunt!...wish I had a neighbor like that!
I would love a resource for finding out types of materials...like this unusual one...it would be lots of fun to identify not only the type of artifact, but the material that it was made from...any ideas out there?
 
WTG, excellent finds, Huntress!
 
Great hunt!...wish I had a neighbor like that!
I would love a resource for finding out types of materials...like this unusual one...it would be lots of fun to identify not only the type of artifact, but the material that it was made from...any ideas out there?

www.lithicsourcing.com/

These Could both be much better with lithics.
The AACA has a nice typology section.
www.theaaca.com/lithnics/
 
Last edited:
Thanks Gator, I like the blade too. Can't put my finger on the kind of material it is though. Kinda looks like granite...

The material looks like it might be Harrodsburg Chert. It's really rough and grainy like that.

Hippy
 
Is it my computer screen or does it all look big? Nice looking finds. Is #5 squared off? Love the bases of those Adena! They look like turkey tails. I like the Ky artifacts. Thanks for sharing Huntress.

Dang I was going to ask about #5 cause the top might be re worked to a scraper.
Id also like to see the top of #8, that one might be a very large end scraper with spurs on it.
 
Last edited:
Is it my computer screen or does it all look big? Nice looking finds. Is #5 squared off? Love the bases of those Adena! They look like turkey tails. I like the Ky artifacts. Thanks for sharing Huntress.

Not your computer screen. They are big and chunky. I have been fortunate in finding some really nice heavy pieces in that field.
 
The material looks like it might be Harrodsburg Chert. It's really rough and grainy like that.

Hippy

Thanks Hippy I didn't know what to call it. Just know I have never found any other piece made out of that material. It is definetly different....
 
Dang I was going to ask about #5 cause the top might be re worked to a scraper.
Id also like to see the top of #8, that one might be a very large end scraper with spurs on it.

No #5 is just a big broke Adena. it hasn't been reworked. but here is the top view of #8 for ya...009.webp
 
With that much stuff in the field it is just a matter of time until you find yourself a killer artifact there. JMO & Good luck
 
There must of been some big animals in the past in that area for all of those big tools to be out there. You have found some really nice artifacts in your area. Keep the hunt alive! rock
 
Excellent assortment of finds, you have found in that field. Sounds like there is potential for some more cool finds. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom