What's new

Full time employment or retirement - survey on MDers

Once happily retired educator. Went back to visit college friends and got put back to work. Now get up very, very early for 7-, 8-9 classes MWF. Still feel retired, but have been informed that I will have 3 classes in spring. May screw up ss and teacher retirement. Retirement????? Not sure...
 
RF, I have been working telcom since 1973, even worked in your area, worked in Mankato and in Burnsville...... I was installing central offices and line additions when I was working in Mn.... Did you ever hear of Automatic Electric (AE).... ?

Nope, never heard of AE - What central offices did you work in? I have installed C.O. Equipment in almost every office in Minnesota. I worked for AT&T for many years.
 
Retired 2008 from ATT after 42 years as a COT. Never looked back
 
Taking power engineering at a local college.
 
Former air force combat controller, lapd station officer, retired game warden, fish and wildlife tech & ranch hand on state wildlife areas these days.
 
Behavioral health registered nurse working on a hospital psychiatric unit with some wild ones. :cussing: :tard: :icon_farao: :crybaby2: :angry5: :tongue3: :icon_king: :evil6: :happy2:

Sort of like being a Human Resources manager, MrWilburino.., only most of mine hadn't been diagnosed yet, and I wasn't allowed to use meds.
 
I am a full time New/Used Car salesman that works 12 hour days. If I am not workin, I am MD'ing if possible :)
 
Retired military. I detect when my injury allows me to.
 
Retired after 42 years of wearing the U.S. Air Force uniform.
 
High school teacher - chemistry, physics, biology, and experimental design... 30 years old and assuming based on my occupation I won't be able to retire.
 
Retired from law enforcement. Oh happy day!
 
Lic/bond woodbutcher.
 
35 years making precision optics for lasers, medical, military, R/D, industry. probably never retiring.
 
40 years telecom, 397 days to go..:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
I've had several incarnations. The military, SAC 98th Bomb Wing, civilian aircraft mechanic, licensed sheet metal journeyman, HVAC Technician controls, test and balance, independent mechanical contractor, I divested my company in 08.
If I had known a living could be made from hot rods and racing my life might have been different.
 
retired merchant seaman / aka / paid world traveler * 27 years spending -8 months per year at "sea" and 4 months at home *(4 months on 2 months off tour of duty = 18 years on / 9 years off)--normal work day was a minimum of 12 hours a day -- due to work demands a 15 hour day often occurred -- I was the chief steward * (head chef and dept head) , I worked my way up --from br / messman to third cook , cook / baker , chief cook and the chief steward -- I was in charge of dept payroll and records keeping ,the ordering of all food and cleaning supplies and "household" type items --over saw the depts. operation and cooked breakfast , the breads ,dessert items and salad bar and prepped the night lunch trays --helped serve lunch and dinner to the crew. -- I come from a 300 year old "seafaring family" on my dads side.

the 12 hour days make each day of work like a day and half at a "normal" 8 hour per day job -- so even thought I'm off 4 months a year --the 8 months of 12 hours day --evens it out --so my 27 years at sea were equal to 27 years of 8 hours a day / 365 days a year at work --plus 2/3rds of the time you were away from home and often the ships are noisy and rocking and rolling from bad weather --while interesting at times --it is a hard profession , and very hard on the body over time.

I did both gulf wars " the first one as the chief steward on the SS CAPE ANN as the ammo supply ship for the USS America (as part of task force 155 *)-- the second one as chief cook on the M/V Gus W. Darnell as a jet fuel tanker --although twice awarded the "UNITED STATES MERCHANT MARINE EXPEDITIONARY AWARD" for service during the wars -- I am not "officially" a vet according to the US Govt -- * please note that all the other people in task force 155 that were not merchant marines are considered "vets'.
 
Last edited:
Railroad....forever 33 yrs. Hired on when i was 19
 
After 25 years in Oklahoma law enforcement, the last 13 years in the wonderful world of retail mgmt. Which nobody, least of all me, ever thought I would have any talent for. A good work ethic will get you a long ways in this part of the country though.
 
Retired from the Army (reserves) in 99, and work for the brown army (UPS) for over 35 years. Counting today, I have 48 working days left in my life and then I will become a full time treasure hunter / bird hunter. Any one have any upland games birds that I can chase around? I feel I have the best of both worlds. I travel all over hunting and metal detect when I am not chasing birds.
 
I had 37 years as a Public Safety Officer, 27 years with the 174th Air National Guard. Retired from both. Am now Animal Control Officer for our town and large animal rescue for our county. Hope to retire from them this January.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom