Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a gas station on my bank run I thought might have silver. I bought some gas and asked if he had halves. He went into the back room, and I hear the "clink, clink" of silver! He says, "Oh, I cant give you those, these are silver." So I ask if I can give him some money for them. He takes his silver stash to the pawn shop nearby when he gets a bunch together.

Here is what he gave me, we negotiated $35, including 11 Eisenhower dollars. I dont really collect those, so I got my $11 back at the next bank.
So here is the silver coins I ended up with for $24, including the Buffalo that is obviously not silver.

Gas Station Purchase.jpg

1923 S Peace dollar, 7 40% Kennedy halves, 1944 quarter. About 1.94oz. Just an interesting way to acquire some silver! - JJ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really nice, who's dumb enough to give a peace dollar away for face value.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
desperate people is who gives up silver for face . a year or so back My son was working at a gas station and a woman came in and said "I want $3.-5 in gas" laid down a $i dollar bill an Ike and a 1923. My son told her the 23 was worth more than a dollar but she said I don't care i need gas now. My son said a guy tried to buy it later that day for $50.00

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems the peace dollars are going around right now. Another member on here got one for $1 recently too.

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty happy with the deal. Atleast I talked him down from $50. I could sell for melt on the Kennedy halves and it is like getting the Peace dollar for free. This is my second Peace dollar.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems the peace dollars are going around right now. Another member on here got one for $1 recently too.

i recently got one out of a teller tray for a 1$. about 4 weeks ago there was a teller who had about 5 in her teller tray and she would not sell them to me. Its strange how at certain times there seems to be one particular silver coin floating around. last month for me it was 1964 kennedys. I was finding them everywhere

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. I have a setup with a gas station manager that sells me silver, wheats and any other coins double face. This summer has been great, with kids spending mommy and daddys coin collection for a soda. 90% Half, a few 40% some 40's jeffersons with a few war nickels, and a 1944 washington. One dime also, 1964D

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Update - One bag yesterday was $5 over, and then I dumped all the change I had found in the last few months scooping out the reject tube of Penny Arcade. It was about $20! So I covered this purchase and now it is basically free! Gotta love treasure hunting! - JJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread