What's new

George II HP cast in Pewter/Lead

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all!
I went over to 'Everything Beach', you never know what will come up next at this target dense area.
It's a prime spot for Sterling flatware, that's what I was hoping for.
got 4 pieces, none sterling. ::)
Cool WWI Gunner toy,
sideplate from a very popular pocketknife, got lots of this style..
Handmade padlock, shackle stamped '50 G'.
Pewter Brooch with most of its 'Diamonds' intact.
Hunting here at low tide, you have no access to water, (except what forms in your footsteps), so a lot of mudcaked targets get pocketed with no idea of what they are.
this is my 6th cast Copy, I say pewter because of the edge flaking, though it is likely high in lead content.
Very thin, correct diameter at 29mm, weight is also close to the low end of geniune strikes at 128 grains, (Late G2s ranged from 130-160 grains :icon_scratch: )
This site is pretty far from the lead works where most of the other copies were found.
I think these were made as 'bag fillers' as using any of them singly would show an obvious fake.
Anyway, this find made the hunt most worthwhile :hello2:
Thanks for looking And Best digs to you all! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 06-25 001.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 001.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 805
  • NH FINDS 06-25 011.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 011.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 761
  • NH FINDS 06-25 010.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 010.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 775
  • NH FINDS 06-25 009.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 009.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 766
  • NH FINDS 06-25 014.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 014.webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 762
  • NH FINDS 06-25 007.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 007.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 769
  • NH FINDS 06-25 004.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 004.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 782
  • NH FINDS 06-25 003.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 003.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 781
  • NH FINDS 06-25 002.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 002.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 761
  • NH FINDS 06-25 006.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 006.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 755
  • NH FINDS 06-25 012.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 012.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 763
  • NH FINDS 06-25 013.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 013.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 764
Upvote 0
Re: George II HP cast in Pewter

Interesting coin (like) find, I will wait & watch for any further thoughts...
 
Re: George II HP cast in Pewter

Morning Herbie :hello:

Very cool finds yesterday! 8)
I find this fork to be really interesting! :icon_scratch:
I guess you liked that early padlock so much you decided to post it twice eh! :D
Is that a ring I see on top of that lock?

Take care,
Dave
 

Attachments

  • Beautiful Fork.webp
    Beautiful Fork.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 688
Re: George II HP cast in Pewter

Hello Herbie !
Strange coins ... :o
H
 
Re: George II HP cast in Pewter

Hi Crusader & Dave,
I put up two different pix of the lock, I'm not really sure if it's 50c or 50g stamped on the shackle, maybe cost was half a buck? (I'm willing to trade it for a seated half ::) )
The fork is interesting, I sometimes find these more ornate ones that appear to have had no plating... makers mark is gone :-\
looks like a pair of 8s on the sides of the cross..
here's some pics for ya..
Best, Herbie.
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 06-25.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 690
  • NH FINDS 06-25 019.webp
    NH FINDS 06-25 019.webp
    58.6 KB · Views: 695
Re: George II HP cast in Pewter

steelheadwill said:
Hi Crusader & Dave,
I put up two different pix of the lock, I'm not really sure if it's 50c or 50g stamped on the shackle, maybe cost was half a buck?
The fork is interesting, I sometimes find these more ornate ones that appear to have had no plating... makers mark is gone :-\
looks like a pair of 8s on the sides of the cross..
here's some pics for ya..
Best, Herbie.

Thanks for the close up shots Herbie!

The base metal looks like brass to me? :icon_scratch:

Dave
 
Re: George II HP cast in Pewter

Antiquarian said:
steelheadwill said:
Hi Crusader & Dave,
I put up two different pix of the lock, I'm not really sure if it's 50c or 50g stamped on the shackle, maybe cost was half a buck?
The fork is interesting, I sometimes find these more ornate ones that appear to have had no plating... makers mark is gone :-\
looks like a pair of 8s on the sides of the cross..
here's some pics for ya..
Best, Herbie.

Thanks for the close up shots Herbie!

The base metal looks like brass to me? :icon_scratch:

Dave
I do believe it is brass, as I said, a lot of this type of flatware (same color and rather detailed design) found, I don't think it was ever plated :dontknow:
 
Neat counterfeit. You should take it to your local junk yard and see if they have one of those guns that can determine exactly what alloys were used. The other day I tested all my coppers and, to my surprise, only found one counterfeit. The results were pretty interesting as you can see from the pic. It was a CT copper.

Dave
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1333.webp
    IMG_1333.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 618
CrazySlasher said:
Neat counterfeit. You should take it to your local junk yard and see if they have one of those guns that can determine exactly what alloys were used. The other day I tested all my coppers and, to my surprise, only found one counterfeit. The results were pretty interesting as you can see from the pic. It was a CT copper.

Dave
That is an interesting alloy.
I think a lot of the counterfiets were made with whatever scraps got thrown in the pot.
looks to be the case with your 'Copper' :laughing7:
I didn't even know there was such a tool in common use,
I need to make a scrap run anyway, Thanks Slasher :thumbsup:
 
Great relic recoveries Herbie ! :o I love the lock and the fork ! That peweter KG needs a little more research unless one of the experts chime in ! You have Crusader perplexed and he is one of the best :dontknow: So we will wait and see ! Great finds !
 
steelheadwill said:
CrazySlasher said:
Neat counterfeit. You should take it to your local junk yard and see if they have one of those guns that can determine exactly what alloys were used. The other day I tested all my coppers and, to my surprise, only found one counterfeit. The results were pretty interesting as you can see from the pic. It was a CT copper.

Dave
That is an interesting alloy.
I think a lot of the counterfiets were made with whatever scraps got thrown in the pot.
looks to be the case with your 'Copper' :laughing7:
I didn't even know there was such a tool in common use,
I need to make a scrap run anyway, Thanks Slasher :thumbsup:

Well, the Sn and Pb is tin and lead which make pewter. It's kind of funny because it was one of my coins I least expected to a counterfeit. Do you know much about the Machin Mills counterfeits?
 
CrazySlasher said:
Neat counterfeit. You should take it to your local junk yard and see if they have one of those guns that can determine exactly what alloys were used. The other day I tested all my coppers and, to my surprise, only found one counterfeit. The results were pretty interesting as you can see from the pic. It was a CT copper.

Dave

A large percentage of British counterfeits are made of copper, just that they used less of it.(Lighter weight) So you cannot go by a metal content test alone for checking if counterfeit or not.

A KGII pewter is a scarce find according to what I have been told by the C4 collectors, I found a falling apart pewter KGII a few years ago, the post is somewhere here in the archives.

Here is my pewter KGII Halfpenny, as you can see it looks more like what you would expect to find from a pewter type coin found in the ground. I had to spray it with lacquer to prevent it from crumbling away to dust!
pewterKG.webp

Don
 

Attachments

  • pewterKG.webp
    pewterKG.webp
    81 KB · Views: 509
Don in SJ said:
CrazySlasher said:
Neat counterfeit. You should take it to your local junk yard and see if they have one of those guns that can determine exactly what alloys were used. The other day I tested all my coppers and, to my surprise, only found one counterfeit. The results were pretty interesting as you can see from the pic. It was a CT copper.

Dave

A large percentage of British counterfeits are made of copper, just that they used less of it.(Lighter weight) So you cannot go by a metal content test alone for checking if counterfeit or not.

A KGII pewter is a scarce find according to what I have been told by the C4 collectors, I found a falling apart pewter KGII a few years ago, the post is somewhere here in the archives.

Don

Thanks, was awaiting your response, seen lead-alloy/pewter counterfiets of various coins, can't remember any Geo II halfpennies :headbang:
 
That KG is pretty cool! :icon_thumright:
 
Very cool coin Herbie. :headbang: :thumbsup: Pewter/lead alloyed is one of those items that beat the odds when digging from water.As I think dry land conditions tend to go against it.Not many metals are good for that in water but from what I've seen they are as I've dug at sites that finds are still on land don't look nothing like as good as at the waters edge.Anyway very neat find I'd say.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Congrats Herbie, Don says you have a scarce KG II there and it's in good enough condition to read it and make out the profile, Great find :icon_thumleft:
 
Nice mixed bag of finds there Herbie. Interesting KG II there as well. Once again...nice diggs!
 
Herbie , Most unusual :o counterfeit KG II made of pewter , a crude early attempt is interesting to say the least :icon_scratch: :dontknow: I am amazed it survived in salt water possibly better than a copper . The cast seam on the reverse :icon_scratch: First , Sentinel with a 2000 year old coin , now your counterfeit KG . :icon_scratch: I thrive on stuff like this but their causing me to scratch a bald spot in my scalp ::) This one could be a sleeper ... Great bogus George II find !!!! CMD
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom