Gold hunting prospecting tips.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tips and little stories for anyone that wants to learn a bit more about chasing the gold. Whether you're a rookie or a Sourdough (a Pro), you might find something to read. My main thread, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html on the metal detecting for gold page has been up for many years, and it has some tips too along with many, many stories of me out chasing the gold, but it takes a long time to wade through all of the almost 80 pages now.

So, I thought I'd start a thread over here dedicated to more of the tips and techniques on how to find gold, and I may transfer some tips from my older thread over to here as well.

Essential gold fact.
(This fact is one that's often ignored, if not undervalued or forgotten in the rush to find the gold.)

Gold fact: Gold is heavy.

Rookie prospector fact: Most rookies forget this.

Prospecting reality: many "seasoned" prospectors forget this.

Prospecting mantra: never forget that gold is heavy.

(Yes, lead is heavy too, but gold is nearly twice as heavy as lead (19320 kg/cu.m VS 11340 kg/cu.m).

For example, if you want to look for gold in a stream, don't start digging in a sandbar. Don't start digging in clay or mud. While it's true that gold will stick to clay, usually if you dig a bunch of clay, you'll get a lot of clay in your pan. . . .

Look at the stream and see where the bigger stuff is collecting.

If you're in an area where there's flour gold (glaciated gold that's been hammered and ground to a powder consistency), look for gravel bars where the rocks are fist-sized and larger. Why? Specific gravity rules specify that if the stream was traveling with enough velocity to carry rocks fist-sized and larger, flour gold was also traveling with them (if there's gold in the stream). Remember? Gold is heavy, so it takes force from water velocity to move it during a flood or during high water. (This also applies to bench deposits and old channels.)

If you're in an area where there's flake and picker gold (or maybe even nuggets), look for a place in the stream where rocks the size of couch cushions or big round watermelons or trashcans were moving during high water. Then, get a vantage point where you can look downstream to see if there's any pattern to their disposition. (I'm referring where the stream is fairly shallow to bedrock or hardpan as the bigger rocks won't disappear as they sink themselves with the stratifying action of the stream. Big, wide, slow moving streams that are deep to bedrock sometimes won't follow the same rules.) Look downstream and if you can see the big rocks lined out (running in a consecutive line downstream from each other) in a linear pattern, each following the others downstream, I'd get in those rocks and start digging. Why? Gold is heavy. Just think about the energy involved in the stream velocity that moved those rocks: pickers and flakes and maybe nuggets were running with that big stuff. Dig, dig, dig. Test, test, test.

Flashback time: When I was working with a large placer operation and they'd hit large boulders (the size of your couch at least, not the cushions), and we were working ground where nuggets were common, everyone would get excited about the possibilities. (I say possibilities because sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks and only drops the big boulders because she shifted the gold run off somewhere else.) So, when those big boulders were moved out of the way, everyone would get down in the pit after the machines were shut down for the day to start panning. (I'd often be panning the material as we went down as well to keep the feedback going to the excavator operator to let him know what size of gold, or how much gold was showing in the pan at the various levels, or in the varying layers of materials as they changed from level to level.)

On one unforgettable day, the gold run was so heavy after the big rocks were moved that we walked along the face of the wall where it met the bedrock (from about two feet above and down to the bedrock that is), and we were able to see the nuggets packed in the gravel and then flick them out of the wall into a pan!

Now I know that some of you are going to think that I was smoking cheap crack, and that there's no way anything like that could ever be possible, but I was there and it happened anyway. Moreover, once you've seen pay with that much gold in it, and once you've experienced a sight like that, you can never forget it either. There was so much gold in the pay layer that because the boss was gone to town for supplies, the sluice crew messed up and fed the sluice at the wrong rate (they fed it as if they were running normal material). The boss arrived back in camp just as the run ended and the crew was just shutting down the wash-plant. To his horror when the water stopped flowing, there were nuggets all the way from the header boxes right to the end of the last riffle in both sluices, and this was a big wash-plant!

So, as you undoubtedly remember (by now in this post) that gold is heavy, what do you think was happening while the nuggets were being deposited all the way to the last riffle in the sluices?

That's right, the nuggets were going over the end of the sluice and heading down into the settling ponds too. What a fiasco! I'll not bore you with the colorful adjectives the boss launched at the sluice crew.

But, what an unimaginable sight regardless. Nuggets from the header boxes all the way to the last riffle!! I had my video camera with me and wanted so badly to shoot video of the sluices; moreover, I had my regular camera with me and wanted to shoot some stills as well, but the investor wouldn't let me do it. He was quite an uptight fellow, to say the least.

Some other miners were working their way down the mountain along our road on their way to cross the river with their equipment, so they could get started on running dirt at their claim. They stopped by to see how things were going. Their jaws hit the ground, hard. They'd never seen the like, and I certainly never have since. Pounds and pounds of beautiful nuggets, with pounds and pounds of galena in all different sizes left to be separated from the gold. (What a pain that was as you can't remove galena with magnets, so it's hard to speed up the cleanup process.)

So, when you're looking for gold, think heavy. Try to think heavy thoughts because gold certainly thinks that way. Moreover, if you're working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock, always, always check the bedrock very carefully. Why? As gold is heavy, and as the stream materials are constantly agitated by the water, the gold will continue to drop through the liquified, moving materials of the stream to eventually come to rest. Why does it stop? It hits something that won't move or give way, and in the case of bedrock, it meets all of the immovable object criteria.

While dredging, I've had to pry enough nuggets from cracks and crevices to know how well fractured or rough bedrock works when it comes to stopping gold.

(Note: I shot this picture with an underwater camera (the glacial melt water is crystal clear and bone-chilling cold). It's a nugget that's sitting on the bedrock, and the water is moving along at a really good clip. I'd just finished moving and then carefully sucking all of the surrounding material away from the nugget on the bedrock with the dredge nozzle kept far enough away to only move the lighter material. The natural velocity of the water was not a factor when it came to the specific gravity of that chunk of gold: that nugget would not move after it was uncovered! It sat right there. If you look around, you'll see other gold resting in the stream run as well.)

Fun fact: while dredging, I've disturbed gold on the bedrock, but because gold is so heavy, the velocity of the stream drags (and I do mean drags) it along the bedrock until it reaches a crevice, and the gold disappears right quick I can tell you! If it's a good sized nugget, once you uncover it, that sassy chunk of gold will sit there in the water right tight on the bedrock waiting for you to make a move. That's how well gold can resist the velocity of the water. That's why some writers say that gold is "lazy". It's so sluggish because due to its specific gravity that it takes the shortest route between two points. So, if you're in an area with coarse gold, always remember this weighty fact as you're plotting where to test your stream materials. In your head, draw some imaginary lines (straight lines) from point A to point B.

Go to bed tonight reviewing the fact that gold is heavy: almost twenty times as heavy as the water that's transporting it, and almost ten times heavier than the other materials the stream's water is moving along with the gold. Knowing this may just have you rethinking things the next time you're out working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock (or other stream deposits as well).

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

By the way, it's far too cold here right now to chase the gold. So, since I'm snowbound, I'll kick out a few posts from time to time, and at other times I may get a chance to post a few more as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This one is for the rookies as well.

To the Rookies:

The other nice thing about getting out in the early spring is that the foliage from the leaf-bearing trees is absent. This really allows you to have a much better view of terrain amongst the evergreens, in areas of mixed-woods. This can be very beneficial as it lets the observer see features that are impossible to see when the area is camouflaged in its summertime fabric of leafy growth.

Last spring, I found ditches amongst the trees I'd never seen before. And, where the old-timer's dug ditches, they may have excavated through virgin ground and tossed up gold-bearing dirt that could produce a nugget or two. Plus, they already did the awful work of digging through all of those tree roots and big rocks. In other words, its all piled up neatly in long rows along the ditches waiting for a metal detector to scan it or for samples to be taken to be processed where there's water.

However, in summer's growth, navigating through the trees is almost impossible, and having any kind of perspective as to what is really there is impossible, so get out in the springtime and truly see what's happening, and see what you're missing (what's invisible) due to the summer's growth cycle.

A word of caution: in many gold-bearing areas in springtime, ticks are a concern. Take appropriate measures to protect yourself: spray lots of Deet around the bottom of your pants (some prospectors tuck their pants into heavy socks, denying ticks entry up the pant legs), and on your boots or shoes. As well, spray around your neckline and wrists. Moreover, when you're finished your tramp through the bush, check all bodily cracks and crevices, any areas of the body where there was pressure (around the waist where a belt was, for instance), and if possible, have another human being check the back of your neck, behind your ears, and the hair on your head. If you are alone, carefully feel through every part of your hair, the back of your neck, behind your ears, etc. Remember too that it's easy for ticks to hitch-hike on your clothing.

I well remember one spring when my partner came out of the bush. He had a whole party of ticks riding on his jacket. You can never be too careful, especially now that tick-borne disease is on the rise.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a few words about surface runs (with a definition included if you don't know what they are).

For those of you that don't know what a surface run is, it's a deposit of gold carried by high velocity water that was violently whipped along and then dropped right on the surface.

Up here where I mine, a surface run sometimes formed when a glacial dam broke loose and a gush of water would blast through an older placer deposit or ancient stream run concentration, leaving the whole mess deposited in a very thin layer over a very wide area. This happened because the gush of water widened suddenly, and as the velocity would rapidly drop off, the boulders would drop, the coarse gold with them, and the finer gold would drop closer to the margins of the end of the gush.

We've found these deposits in forests by following color. Gold is not the color I'm speaking of: the color of the soil is what I'm referring to. The accompanying material is quite distinguishable by the orange color of the dirt (due to all of the oxidizing iron materials [ironstone or magnetite, hematite, and pyrites]). To get to these deposits, the leaf litter and decayed matter that darkens the uppermost covering of soil has to be removed so that the pay can be exposed. (Sometimes we'll find a surface run after it's been exposed on the side of a hill by erosion. Sometimes we look for signs or tips as we locate surface deposits by sampling where the Old-timers seemed to be working out in the middle of nowhere, or simply by stumbling upon them by detecting.)

This past weekend, a group of rookies I was inducting were getting pickers and flakes out of just such a deposit, but many of them went right through the deposit (it runs only about two inches in depth) and then they started blanking in their pans.

It's important to remember that when you locate a surface deposit to just work it by following the color of the soil. Don't work the material above it, and don't work the material below it (of course you have to take a bit of the material beneath it, but just don't keep heading down thinking the deposit continues into the material below it for any depth, because it doesn't).

As a side note, we've also found nuggets in surface deposits. It seems the bigger the gush of water, the more power it had to carry heavier pieces of gold. If the blast of water was carrying boulders as well, be sure to detect behind (and if you can move them) under the accompanying boulders as well. The same stream deposition rationale that works in rivers applies to surface deposits (anything that would slow the velocity would create a low pressure area to allow the gold to drop out).

I detected a deposit like the one mentioned in the previous paragraph and found some nice multi-gram nuggets this way. It was amazing. The surface deposit was resting atop a decomposed bedrock and clay layer. There was nothing in the clay or the decomposed bedrock. It was a total waste of time to work it any longer.

Everything was on the surface--no deeper than six inches at it's deepest point of deposition. My buddy found a beautiful six gram nugget only two inches down. The miner that was placering the deposit retrieved nuggets up to ten grams by simply following the boulders, moving them, and then taking all of the material from under them, around them, and for a short ways downslope (downstream in stream talk) from the boulders. It was the most unique mining operation I ever witnessed, very precise, methodical, almost surgical, but all coarse gold, nuggets only.

In several test areas, he moved everything, just to be sure he wasn't missing the gold, and it was very unproductive. So, he went back to his pick and choose spot mining method and achieved his best recovery rates. He had a backhoe and a wash-plant. He had jars of gorgeous character nuggets, nothing flat or hammered at all in any of it. I'm guessing the deposit was probably an ancient Tertiary channel that got plowed through when a huge glacial dam burst through it in a perpendicular thrust, then gouged it out right down to bedrock, and laid it down in a thin blanket, over a wide area. It was very remarkable.

Well, I've rambled long enough.

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fascinating story Lanny, thanks! (And well written as always)

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Surface run from a Glacial dam blowout moving through older placer deposit or ancient stream concentration! Lanny, being a rookie, I had never even thought about a scenario like that! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge with us. Your tips are pure gold and very much appreciated!

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fascinating story Lanny, thanks! (And well written as always)

Kevin,

Thanks so much for saying so, and all the best as always. You're a lucky man to live in such a beautiful place,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Surface run from a Glacial dam blowout moving through older placer deposit or ancient stream concentration! Lanny, being a rookie, I had never even thought about a scenario like that! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge with us. Your tips are pure gold and very much appreciated!

Many thanks to you for dropping in to leave a kind comment. I truly appreciate it.

It's amazing what you stumble across out hunting for gold. Mother Nature can be very unruly at times, and sometimes she's not well behaved either. As well, with all of those titanic forces (glaciers many miles thick, super rivers, etc.) there's plenty of energy to do just about anything, let alone relocate some gold.

I've seen places where during the great glacial melts, for want of a better term, a sidewall was blown through somewhere on a rich deposit along the margins of what had to have been a large glacial body of water or a super river. The boulders were all the size of small cars and larger, and the area covered by the blow out was hundreds of acres wide, where the running extent of the wash went for over a mile down the mountainside, the size of the rocks getting smaller the farther they ranged from the main event.

But, in the scheme of things when the glaciers were king, that type of event was tiny. Moreover, the area was glaciated not once, but many times. And, this is hard to imagine, but as the glaciers were slightly or dramatically different each and every time, the runoff took different paths (running north to south, east to west, north-east to south-west, etc). This repeat glaciation generated many different stream channels that intersected and overlapped leaving very deep deposits of stream run.

The drift miners loved places like that where they'd find six or seven streams crossing. They'd check the various overlapping strata to find the ones with the richest values, then they'd tunnel in. Or, they'd work the ones they could without severe water problems, or concretion, and sometimes as a result, the richest channels are either still yet waiting, or they've been mined out in the last 20 years or so now that equipment is powerful enough to strip and drain to get at the best pay.

All the best,

Lanny

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your description of a surface run sounds like what I found a few years ago. This was created by a very strong flash flood the year before. I got some very nice pickers and nuggets from under a couple of tire sized rocks in the top 4 inches of soil. This spot is right after the stream has a elevation drop and its pinched at the top as well. I've watched regular floods always backwash this spot, but the flash flood was very sudden and about 15ft higher.

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the neat things about flash floods as it pertains to gold transport is that there is a continum between flash floods and what are terms "debris flows"... A debris flow is simply moving flood water that becomes hyper concentrated with clay, silt, sand, and larger sized particles. The more particles entrained in the flood water, the denser the solution becomes, thus the buoyancy of all particles (be they sand sized or house sized boulders, or GOLD!) increases. It is a somewhat self perpetuating phenomena... If you see very muddy water with standing waves in a small creek, you can bet that cobbles and boulders and gold will be entrained in solution.

L.G.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your description of a surface run sounds like what I found a few years ago. This was created by a very strong flash flood the year before. I got some very nice pickers and nuggets from under a couple of tire sized rocks in the top 4 inches of soil. This spot is right after the stream has a elevation drop and its pinched at the top as well. I've watched regular floods always backwash this spot, but the flash flood was very sudden and about 15ft higher.

Thanks for your comments, and I'm glad you were able to get some nice gold from what does sound like a similar event.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the neat things about flash floods as it pertains to gold transport is that there is a continum between flash floods and what are terms "debris flows"... A debris flow is simply moving flood water that becomes hyper concentrated with clay, silt, sand, and larger sized particles. The more particles entrained in the flood water, the denser the solution becomes, thus the buoyancy of all particles (be they sand sized or house sized boulders, or GOLD!) increases. It is a somewhat self perpetuating phenomena... If you see very muddy water with standing waves in a small creek, you can bet that cobbles and boulders and gold will be entrained in solution.

L.G.

Thanks! Your latest comment explains quite a bit about how that one deposit was able to carry such nice chunks of gold, but we never found any fines or black sands, just boulders and nuggets!!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This tip is about what to do when you're too hot, tired, and dusty so that you start to lost your prospecting edge.

One way I unwind up north is to hop on the quad and then take a spin up a logging road I've never explored, or I'll take my fishing rod and wander up a section of stream I've never scouted out before. Believe it or not, gold and trout like to settle in the same places! I've seen it countless times while under the water dredging, and I've found some great gold locations by finding where the trout are holding in the stream.

So, after I catch the trout, I'll head back up with my prospecting outfit to test the spots where the trout were holding. And, it makes sense, if you think it out. Trout are ambush experts. They hang out wherever the current slackens (the same places gold likes to drop), and then they charge out to hammer anything interesting that goes by in the faster water. For the trout, it conserves a lot of energy to hang out in the low pressure areas (I've watched them employ this technique and tactic many, many times while dredging). In fact, wherever there's an underwater obstruction (a prime gold trap), there's a trout hanging out immediately downstream of the obstacle, ready to dart out and ambush his lunch.

Gold and trout really do like to rest in the same low pressure areas.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This past summer my wife and I were out looking for nuggets that needed adopting.

We were working along the side of a steep bedrock wall that then bottomed out on perpendicular bedrock in the river proper. I took a gold-sucker (gold suction gun) and started working the bedrock just below the surface of the water, but I worked it above where it T'd into the bedrock bottom proper. As I was forcing the water back out of the gun in a crevice, I noticed clay colored water streaming out of several other places below where I was working.

That's an indication that the crevice continued down a lot more than I'd first thought it did. So I got out a bar and started scraping the crevice and all kinds of loose material came out of the crack. I kept working it down until I'd dropped about several inches into the crevice. I could no longer get any material out with the bar (all of the material went into a pan). I panned it out and there were nice flakes of gold in the pan.

I used the gun again and I could still see clay in solution streaming out below the crevice. I got the narrowest scraping tool I had and worked the crevice again, putting the takings in the pan. This time there were only a couple of pieces of gold, but they were chunky, not flat.

I really went to work with the gun then and worked the crevice as hard as I could and the tip sunk a bit more.

When the gun was full and would take no more material, I popped the end off and dumped the contents in my pan. When I'd panned the lighter material off, there was only a small amount of crumbled black slate left in the pan. As I worked it down and swirled off the lighter material, cubes of oxidized pyrite started to appear; moreover, chunks of magnetite were also in the mix. (These are all good signs in the area I'm currently working, signs that I've pulled out the
super-heavies from the crevice.) I shook the material down again, panned off the lighter stuff that rose, then tailed the concentrates once again.

Right quick, a sassy nugget poked its nose up! It was a little beauty, just under a gram, but it had been in that crevice a long, long time. One end was heavily rust stained from being wedged against that pyrite for who knows how long.

So, if you're ever shooting water into a crevice under the water, and you see clay streaming out of other cracks below (or to the sides, or above) the crevice you're working, keep at it until you've reached the bottom! Furthermore, if you're allowed to take the bedrock apart, keep working it apart until you find the source of the cracks the clay is streaming from. At some time that crack may have been open and it may have let in a little bonanza.

I've taken nuggets out of cracks that were way smaller than the width of the gold in them. So, that pops the question, how did they get in there?

Well, there's theories on that, and one of the theories is that when big boulders were pounding down the stream bed, the raw power opened the cracks wide enough to let the gold drop, then as the boulders moved on, the crack snapped shut again. Whatever the reason is for gold bigger than the openings of cracks being where it is, it's irrelevant.

Just be sure to check out those cracks where the clay-colored water is streaming from.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I went out today to a wash. I looked all around and did not see to many iron, or hematite, or heavys around. So here are a few of the places I dug at, then dry panned a little, to remove just the bigger rocks, then took the rest home to pan in water.
CAM00172.jpg CAM00170.jpg CAM00169.jpg CAM00168.jpg
Nothing found at all.Hardly no black sands either. Are these decent places. How about the shot of the wash, last one. Would all those small rocks act like riffles.
The first pic is between 3 huge boulders, the water falls about 5-6 feet from the top, then down to where my hole is.

The next pic is the hole I dug, in front of the trees and debree that is in the 3rd pic.
4th pic is of the wash after the other pics.

These next pics are of the boulders in the wash I was looking behind.

. CAM00161.jpg CAM00163.jpg CAM00162.jpg CAM00174.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I went out today to a wash. I looked all around and did not see to many iron, or hematite, or heavys around. So here are a few of the places I dug at, then dry panned a little, to remove just the bigger rocks, then took the rest home to pan in water.
View attachment 945501 View attachment 945502 View attachment 945503 View attachment 945504
Nothing found at all.Hardly no black sands either. Are these decent places. How about the shot of the wash, last one. Would all those small rocks act like riffles.
The first pic is between 3 huge boulders, the water falls about 5-6 feet from the top, then down to where my hole is.

The next pic is the hole I dug, in front of the trees and debree that is in the 3rd pic.
4th pic is of the wash after the other pics.

These next pics are of the boulders in the wash I was looking behind.

. View attachment 945520 View attachment 945524 View attachment 945525 View attachment 945528

Let me know what you find in your panned down samples.

What is the size of the gold in your area? What types of heavies run with the gold in your area? If there's good coarse gold running in your area, I'd move those big rocks and dig to hit bedrock.

Finer gold will be up higher in the top six inches or less. If fine gold is the norm, I'd dig where there are a bunch of fist sized rocks and test the layers down to about six inches.

If there's exposed bedrock and there's a solid deposit of gold, get a stiff bristle brush and a fine bristle brush. With the brushes, use a dustpan to sweep every bit of dirt from the exposed bedrock in to it. If there's coarse gold, get some sniping tools to pry parts apart and use sniping tools to get all crack and crevice material in to your dustpan as well.

All the best,

Lanny

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. There has been no Gold reportedly found in this wash. But there is an old lode gold mine 1/4 to 1/2 mile up stream.
Discovered 1885 and produced 1902-1957. Gold was .2 a ton assayed.

Mineralization is in Cambrian Troy Quartzite and Devonian Martin Limestone which strike Northward and dip about 30ºE. The vein occurs within the zone of a strike fault that has brecciated the quartzite-limestone (Troy quartzite) contact and the lower beds of the limestone. There are 7 faults in the area trending E-W. The ore bodies are tabular, strike N, dip 30E, at 6.1 meters thick and 1.83 meters wide.

Five significant gold oreshoots were discovered by crosscutting along traverse fissures for a few feet toward the hanging wall, within a horizontal distance of 3,000 feet. These average 4 feet wide by 15 feet long.

I have to go look at another drainage that cuts down from where the air shaft came out on the side of the hill,and where some tailings are.
I am trying to read online about the info i posted above about where the veins went.
There might be an outcrop of something on the back side of the hill where I put in the drainage. I can see some kind of old tailings, ect.
Have to hike up there this week.
I will take a pic of the panned down samples in a bit as soon as they dry out. And post it.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great!

Your research sounds solid. Keep at it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Changing colors, etc., show the way to gold.

For anyone that's beginning, or for those of you that are going to work a new area, research your area's gold history to find which colors, heavy rocks, etc. were associated with the gold. In many old reports or write-ups I've seen, there will be talk of colors and indicator rocks that ran with the gold. This is a secret to finding the gold that far too many gold chasers overlook or completely ignore. Those Old-timers didn't have the technology we do, but they had eyes, and they could use their sense of touch to heft little stones to see if they were far heavier than normal rocks. (Sometimes a sense of smell comes in handy too.)

Always pay attention to what those low-tech Old-timers said to watch for, to heft, or sometimes even smell for as good signs when chasing the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here is a pic of the cons. Quartz, granite,rhyolite, and a couple others.
The magnet is holding the magnetite, or hematite on the pan.
The second pic is of some rocks I found that have been falling from a cliff, or ledge up higher, and where laying in the edge of the wash.
Have to crush and pan them yet.
CAM00177.jpg CAM00176.jpg

Will have to see what thiose terms mean by crosscut, and traverse a vein, ect. Ore bodies, and strike faults from my post above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread